PDA

View Full Version : Science Takes New Look At Psychedelics, good info

speciallyblend
04-21-2010, 05:42 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=C2#/video/us/2010/04/20/simon.psychedlic.drugs.cnn

of course there are no studies to back it up. the us government has ignored reality!!!

therepublic
04-21-2010, 06:26 AM
This sounds like the 60s (which I lived through) all over again. You see the youth at the time were protesting the Vietnam war. At first they were badly beaten by the police, but when some were killed there was a public outrage. So the government devised a new plan.

They had colleges report new findings that LSD was a miracle mind opening drug, and marijuana was safer than cigarettes. In those days we were far too trusting...I mean if a college said so it had to be true. We did not understand how controlled our educational system was becoming. So some of the young began using the drugs. I wish you could have witnessed the sudden and dramatic change in many of those who partook.

The news was quick to report on the insane behavior labeling them "Hippies" and "Flower Children." It worked beautifully for the government, and those who had become so involved in the movement faded away not to be heard from again until now.

So do not be fooled. This sounds all too familiar, and I suspect you will hear more advertisements for the use of these and other drugs administered by doctors who have been educated in the same controlled system.

MelissaWV
04-21-2010, 06:28 AM
oh no! Reefer Madness!

therepublic
04-21-2010, 06:44 AM
oh no! Reefer Madness!

Some seem to be able to take Reefer (and liquor), and stop when they so decide. But for some it is an addicting drug...often called the "gate way drug by counselors who treat the addicts.

MelissaWV
04-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Some seem to be able to take Reefer (and liquor), and stop when they so decide. But for some it is an addicting drug...often called the "gate way drug by counselors who treat the addicts.

I understand the sentiment, but the regulations/laws are not in keeping with logic. Booze, smokes, pot, LSD, cocaine, heroin, caffeine... all these things are chemicals that have a marked and rapid impact on the human body, and all of them are addictive to various degrees. The notion of gateway drugs has far more to do, I am willing to bet, with availability, perception, and price than with any inherent characteristic of the drug itself.

TonySutton
04-21-2010, 06:56 AM

Some people have the same problem with food, video games, sex, etc. The question is should the government be regulating any of it?

yokna7
04-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Marijuana is not a "gateway" drug, that logic would mean alcohol is also a gateway drug. That's propaganda. Non of this should be regulated by the federal govt.

YouTube - BILL HICKS WAR ON DRUGS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCf2fJsBxRc&feature=related)

therepublic
04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
I had to take my oldest daughter into rehab. For her and for my little brother Marijuana was was the "gateway drug". Some people (many in my family) have addicting personalities. My brother who still has many relapses (he advanced to crack) honestly tells anyone that Reefer was an addicting drug for him.

Those who work with addicts seem to think it is a genetic thing. They who have the hands on experience report (not colleges or doctors) that it runs in families. They also say the following:

Alcoholism seems to be transferred from the fathers genes
Those who come from families who have addictive personalities seem to be able to consume more alcohol before showing signs of being drunk than the average person. But they are also more likely to become addicted.

P.S. When my daughter was going through rehab I ordered some pamphlets from a college in California (don't at this time recall the name) thinking the information on the effects of drugs would be helpful. When we received them they said: "one can learn more about drugs from a pusher on the streets than one can from their parents" (my daughter was a minor at the time). I showed the material to her counselor, and he told me there were many such statements coming form that college. I personally listen more to what counselors and recovering addicts (those with hands on experiences) have to say than a pusher on the streets or even colleges.

yokna7
04-21-2010, 07:23 AM
I had to take my oldest daughter into rehab. For her and for my little brother Marijuana was was the "gateway drug". Some people (many in my family) have addicting personalities. My brother who still has many relapses (he advanced to crack) honestly tells anyone that Reefer was an addicting drug for him.

Those who work with addicts seem to think it is a genetic thing. They who have the hands on experience report (not colleges or doctors) that it runs in families. They also say the following:

Alcoholism seems to be transferred from the fathers genes
Those who come from families who have addictive personalities seem to be able to consume more alcohol before showing signs of being drunk than the average person. But they are also more likely to become addicted.

P.S. When my daughter was going through rehab I ordered some pamphlets from a college in California (don't at this time recall the name) thinking the information on the effects of drugs would be helpful. When we received them they said: "one can learn more about drugs from a pusher on the streets than one can from their parents" (my daughter was a minor at the time). I showed the material to her counselor, and he told me there were many such statements coming form that college. I personally listen more to what counselors and recovering addicts (those with hands on experiences) have to say than a pusher on the streets or even colleges.

So you are for the federal regulation of drugs? No? We should really ask ourselves: would drugs be as tempting if we lived in a free society where drugs were not regulated? Drug addiction is a socio-economic problem, a lot of it would vanish if we reformed the role of government and the perception that brings.

therepublic
04-21-2010, 07:30 AM
So you are for the federal regulation of drugs? No? We should really ask ourselves: would drugs be as tempting if we lived in a free society where drugs were not regulated? Drug addiction is a socio-economic problem, a lot of it would vanish if we reformed the role of government and the perception that brings.

No I am not for government regulation. Heck they are the ones pushing the stuff. Why do you think Ramos and Campion were imprisoned while a known drug lord was freed and given access to come and go as he pleased? Who do you think is asking the media and school systems to promote the propaganda (not only about drugs, but about the Constitution ext. ?

I am just saying think before you buy into what the media and colleges are reporting.

yokna7
04-21-2010, 07:35 AM
No I am not for government regulation. Heck they are the ones pushing the stuff. Why do you think Ramos and Campion were imprisoned while a known drug lord was freed and given access to come and go as he pleased? Who do you think is asking the media and school systems to promote the propaganda (not only about drugs, but about the Constitution ext. ?

I am just saying think before you buy into what the media and colleges are reporting.

Oh I gotcha, I totally agree.