View Full Version : Head of sex-crimes unit charged in Pa. sex assault

Anti Federalist
04-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Head of sex-crimes unit charged in Pa. sex assault

By MARYCLAIRE DALE
Associated Press Writer
updated 3:46 p.m. ET April 20, 2010

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36660965

PHILADELPHIA - DNA evidence in an alleged sexual assault at a police squad building matches that of a sergeant who led a sex crimes unit in suburban Philadelphia, a district attorney said Tuesday.

Michael Marren, 41, was charged Monday in the alleged March 9 assault at the Bensalem Rescue Squad headquarters building, and has been fired from the Bensalem Police Department.

Marren's DNA matches saliva found on the victim's breast, Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler said.

Yet Marren denied to investigators that he had any sexual contact with the woman.

"Saliva can be just as probative as semen, depending on the facts of the case," Heckler said. "Here's a situation where he claims nothing happened."

According to the police complaint, the 41-year-old married father sexually assaulted a fellow squad volunteer after a night out at a bar to mourn a colleague's death. Marren drove the woman back to the squad building at about 2:30 a.m. and assaulted her despite her efforts to dissuade him, the affidavit states. She warned that there were cameras in the area and that he was drunk and should stop what he was doing.

The woman was later found curled up in a closet in the building and taken to a hospital, authorities said.

A man who answered the phone Tuesday at Marren's home in Huntingdon Valley hung up on a reporter. Defense lawyer Thomas Jennings declined to comment.

Marren was arraigned on numerous sexual assault charges on Monday and released on $100,000 bail. He is due in court for a preliminary hearing on April 27.

Philhelm
04-21-2010, 03:34 AM
You're quite diligent with these sort of postings. I'd imagine if you assembled them all together, it would come off as something from "The Onion." There are so many cases of law enforcement personnel violating the law that it's farcical. It's almost pointless to post such articles, as it's just business as usual. Now, if you really want to impress me, find an article about police integrity and heroism. You have ten years. Ready? Begin! ;)

talkingpointes
04-21-2010, 04:16 AM
You're quite diligent with these sort of postings. I'd imagine if you assembled them all together, it would come off as something from "The Onion." There are so many cases of law enforcement personnel violating the law that it's farcical. It's almost pointless to post such articles, as it's just business as usual. Now, if you really want to impress me, find an article about police integrity and heroism. You have ten years. Ready? Begin! ;)

It's pretty damn depressing. The irony is so thick it hurts.:mad: