PDA

View Full Version : Country with the Freest Market Also Has the Fastest Internet

Omphfullas Zamboni
04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Who's #1 in broadband? 1Gbps fiber for $26 in Hong Kong
By Nate Anderson | Last updated April 14, 2010 10:49 AM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/1gbps-symmetric-fiber-us26-in-hong-kong.ars

According to people like Ivan Seidenberg, Verizon's CEO, the US is number one in broadband, no question about it. But one only has to look around the world to see just how specious such claims are.

Take Hong Kong as an example. City Telecom made waves a few months ago with its US$13, symmetric 100Mbps connections. Today, the company slashed prices on its much faster 1Gbps fiber-to-the-home offering; a fully symmetric, 1Gbps connection costs HK$199... or US$26 a month.

Want phone service with that? That'll be US$3. IPTV service will cost another $6-12, depending on the channel package. (There's also a US$115 installation charge to run the fiber link from the building basement up to an individual apartment.)

This is an exceptional offer, but City Telecom isn't alone in offering service that should make US operators cringe—and US customers green with envy. Hutchison Telecom offers 100Mbps symmetric connections for US$13. i-Cable offers 130Mbps downloads for $39 per month using DOCSIS 3.0 tech.

This isn't the US market, so prices aren't directly comparable, but Hong Kong and the US are almost identical when it comes to GDP per capita, adjusted for purchasing power parity (PPP).

Hong Kong is one of the densest spots on earth. One wouldn't expect to see this level of price and competition across a country as broad and sprawling as the US, but one would expect it to be possible somewhere. Sadly, even something like 100Mbps is hard to come by in most US cities; 1Gbps is unknown, except to tiny specialty operators, even in a place like New York City.

I am jealous. My Comcast high-speed Internet is only somewhere between 20-30Mbps.

erowe1
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Is Hong Kong really still the freest? Or is that just a reputation that carries over from back before they were reincorporated into China in the 90's.

Omphfullas Zamboni
04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Country Rankings for Trade, Business, Fiscal, Monetary, Financial, Labor, and Investment Freedom (http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking.aspx)

#1 Hong Kong

erowe1
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Interesting. I just read this part:

The Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong is part of the People’s Republic of China, but it governs its own affairs on a day-to-day basis and enjoys a wide range of freedoms under the territory’s mini-constitution, the Basic Law. The government has promised to advance universal suffrage but so far has not delivered. Hong Kong boasts one of the world’s most prosperous economies, thanks to small government, low taxes, and light regulation. Major industries include financial services and shipping, while manufacturing has migrated largely to the mainland. Ongoing concerns include cronyism in government policymaking and self-censorship in media and restrictions on the free flow of information.
http://www.heritage.org/index/Country/HongKong

Hopefully they never do deliver on that universal suffrage promise. The day they do, their free market is toast.

emazur
04-20-2010, 03:29 PM
The question is - did the HK government create this internet infrastructure or did the free market? I've seen many a post on digg whining about - "we're SOOO ancient! we need the government to help us catch up to Korea and Japan's internet speed" (I don't actually know who built the high speed internet in those countries, but this is the kind of thing I hear, and if the HK government had a hand in the high speed internet it doesn't really help our cause even if HK is very free market)

Omphfullas Zamboni
04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
The question is - did the HK government create this internet infrastructure or did the free market? I've seen many a post on digg whining about - "we're SOOO ancient! we need the government to help us catch up to Korea and Japan's internet speed" (I don't actually know who built the high speed internet in those countries, but this is the kind of thing I hear, and if the HK government had a hand in the high speed internet it doesn't really help our cause even if HK is very free market)

I did not see anything in City Telecom's Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Telecom_%28Hong_Kong%29)that indicated a government-subsidized infrastructure. There is this:

HKBN’s network currently covers 1.5 million Hong Kong households and will continue to expand towards the 2.0 million target by 2010, reaching over 90% of all homes in Hong Kong. HKBN is the first ISP to deploy Fibre-To-The-Home (FTTH) in the local residential market in September 2007 while the other competitors still predominately use copper wires for their last mile. The 100% self-built IP network (Metro-Ethernet) with cumulative investment of HK$2.6 billion, is independent from the incumbent operator, which empowers HKBN to offer superior service and value to their customers.

Reading the wiki, I couldn't find anything about government funding being connected to the company.

torchbearer
04-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Consumers are in control in a free market.

peacepotpaul
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Hong Kong is not a country, and isn't SOmalia a freer market?

erowe1
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Hong Kong is not a country

Says who?

and isn't SOmalia a freer market?

Says who?