PDA

View Full Version : Millions Of Puerto Ricans Forced to Reapply for Birth Certificates

Matt Collins
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/puerto-rico-birth-certificate-crisis-invalidating-fix/story?id=10422841

MelissaWV
04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/puerto-rico-birth-certificate-crisis-invalidating-fix/story?id=10422841

I mentioned this months ago. It's a pain in the ass. It also really hasn't been publicized much, and this late in the game it's going to make a lot of people's lives hell. Puerto Rico is not known for its speed in fulfilling documentation requests. If you're applying for something like a passport, you need to get this new version, and the entire process just became much longer and more expensive.

On top of that, the new certificates will have "security features." I'm not the least bit sure I want one.

Oh and yes, you can obtain a new "secure" copy by mail for $5. I am sure that will keep all the fraud from happening again.

Matt Collins
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Puerto Rico is not known for its speed
They operate on island time ;):p

MelissaWV
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
They operate on island time ;):p

It's a clusterfuck of overgovernance. It's an easy way to get your hand into the cookie jar. The US mainland likes it that way, and has for ages. Nothing will change except that the birth certificates will have those "security enhancements." The island is used as a test case for a lot of things... I fully expect these "enhancements" to be incorporated into pretty much every document from here on out.

Matt Collins
04-20-2010, 12:47 PM
They should demand their independence

MelissaWV
04-20-2010, 12:55 PM
They should demand their independence

It's more complicated than that, just as the US mainland should demand the welfare all cease on their own turf. Too many people live off of the system, or expect to. Anytime you talk about cutting the cord, people will be all for it until they realize THEIR benefits will be gone. It's a symbiotic relationship. It's also Haiti's dumping ground. So many little tin shacks producing American citizens, but everyone's overwhelmingly worried about the Mexican border. I don't doubt the Government's claims, since most people wouldn't bother with checking paperwork too closely anyhow... a lot of non-Ricans just get the paperwork and are instant citizens.

The place is a dump (no more so than a lot of US cities I know of...) and it won't float on its own, and it won't ever become a state. Perpetual limbo.

Zippyjuan
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Haiti's dumping ground? You mean it is worse that Haiti?

MelissaWV
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Haiti's dumping ground? You mean it is worse that Haiti?

I mean that when things go bad in Haiti/DomRepublic, people make their way on over. It's not that difficult to get to the island, and once you're there, you mingle. From there, you have yourself a bunch of citizens. It's been going on for ages.