PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Wall Street! Put your money where your mouth is.

michaelwise
10-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I was just thinking about all the talk about boycotts. Why try to boycott individual companies here and there, that won't make a difference? Why not go for the juggler. Boycott Wall Street! Those people on Capitol Hill don't have your best interest at heart. Neither does Corporate America, or the Privately Owned Federal Reserve Bank Corporation. The working middle class and working poor, 80% of the population, have been getting the short end of the stick for long enough.

What will you lose if you re-allocate 100% of your 401k money out of stock funds? a couple of percent at most? Do it for a short period of time. It won't kill you, and has just as good a possibility of saving you money.

What are the chances we would get noticed by the mainstream media if we all did this?

kylejack
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
We don't move enough money for that.

Mort
10-10-2007, 01:35 PM
We don't move enough money for that.

exactly

Bob Cochran
10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
One of the things that is currently in the wind is a deep dread on the part of Wall Streeters. They fear that the jig may be up on Wall Street. They will apply any and all political pressure that they can in order to keep their little stock market world going, even if it means goading the Fed and the Treasury into destroying the US dollar and the US economy in general.

The US govt is complicit. They keep the economy juiced to prop up stocks. It's NOT a free market on Wall Street, it's a house of cards. Maybe stocks will keep going up and up, but it will be accompanied by a mighty US dollar crash...which is what we're seeing already, in slow motion.

constituent
10-10-2007, 01:40 PM
One of the things that is currently in the wind is a deep dread on the part of Wall Streeters. They fear that the jig may be up on Wall Street. They will apply any and all political pressure that they can in order to keep their little stock market world going, even if it means goading the Fed and the Treasury into destroying the US dollar and the US economy in general.

The US govt is complicit. They keep the economy juiced to prop up stocks. It's NOT a free market on Wall Street, it's a house of cards. Maybe stocks will keep going up and up, but it will be accompanied by a mighty US dollar crash...which is what we're seeing already, in slow motion.

QFT. Sink the Bastards!

Johnnybags
10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
the advertisers of Hannity or Gibson shows- on tv and radio we will not buy their goods advertised on shows that stifle the democratic process. Mayne we go after Gibson and his show first, its unpopular anyway and send a message to Hannity. Take the vote posted on this site and when a winner emerges I will write a petition and find who the big advertisers are.

kylejack
10-10-2007, 01:43 PM
No boycotts. Just keep taking the high road. Economic terrorism is not going to gain us converts.

DrNoZone
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
How do you propose we boycott Wall Street? By never ever participating in capitalism in this country again? That's the only way you'll accomplish a true boycott of Wall Street.

I have a better idea: how about we pass out slim jims, fund more print advertising, and donate to the campaign? Money talks on Wall Street, so give more to RP and they'll take notice.

kylejack
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I agree with DrNoZone. Shut down this thread and go pass out some slimjims!

Abobo
10-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Bad idea. Investing in stocks allows you to at least see some of the profits created by the corrupt government and corporations. The vast majority of the money on the stock market is not from individuals, it's from massive funds. Even if every single one of us pulled out our money it wouldn't have an impact on the market. But it would effect us terribly. The returns from the stock market allows you to combat inflation. If you don't get any "profits" you'll be losing 4%-10% a year in inflation alone.

And think of it this way. Even if YOU don't own the stocks your money will still be in your 401K in cash... What do banks do when they have cash in someones account? THEY use it instead. I don't know about you but I would rather have those profits myself than let a bank have them.

ghemminger
10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I have been thinking about this also - my 401k probably isn't big enough to make a difference - but what if NOW until Christmas time a large percentage of American DID NOT purchace items from fortune 500 companies

Groceries might be difficult and household goods - but if a large percentage held off buying BIG TICKET items until after Christmas we might be able to crash a couple of industries - and this would be going with an existing he trend....(been to a housing tract or car dealership recently....can u say ghosttown.....)

michaelwise
10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
No boycotts. Just keep taking the high road. Economic terrorism is not going to gain us converts.I don't call it economic terrorism, when 20% of the population own 90% of all the stock in the stock market. They are the ones terrorizing the working class. Stock prices are influenced however, on the margin, by a small number of people who trade stocks.
That small margin could be the ones who don't have much skin in the game, the working class.

This thread has more to do with average people taking power back, and making the big boys stand up and take notice. This is just another way, that doesn't require very much time, to re-allocate funds, but at the same time spending the majority of your time supporting Ron Paul.

erowe1
10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Even if our puny funds could make a difference on Wall Street, wouldn't a better idea be to buy more stocks in order to exercise greater influence, rather than get rid of all our stocks and exercise less influence?
Plus, if what RP says is true, and the monetary policies of the fed benefit the banks and Wall Street at the expense of the middle class, then wouldn't putting our money where our mouths are mean buying stocks, especially banking stocks, in order to get a piece of that action?

kylejack
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't call it economic terrorism, when 20% of the population own 90% of all the stock in the stock market. They are the ones terrorizing the working class. Stock prices are influenced however, on the margin, by a small number of people who trade stocks.
That small margin could be the ones who don't have much skin in the game, the working class.

This thread has more to do with average people taking power back, and making the big boys stand up and take notice. This is just another way, that doesn't require very much time, to re-allocate funds, but at the same time spending the majority of your time supporting Ron Paul.

Inflation is out of control. Taking your money out of this market is economic suicide.

Abobo
10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
but what if NOW until Christmas time a large percentage of American DID NOT purchace items from fortune 500 companies

What makes you assume that they are ALL evil? I know some people will not invest in tobacco companies. OK, that makes sense. Maybe you don't want to put your money into banks or military contractors. OK, that makes sense.

But what do you see as wrong with either purchasing from or investing in companies like FedEx, Caterpillar, Coca-Cola, Apple, ETC? Not every company is evil. If you don't want to invest in a company that you don't like then do a little research, but don't just assume they are all bad.

erowe1
10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't call it economic terrorism, when 20% of the population own 90% of all the stock in the stock market. They are the ones terrorizing the working class.

If that's the problem you want addressed, then the answer is for more investors to invest in the stock market not less. That way, the relative percentages of ownership will get spread out more evenly. But if all the principled investors followed your logic and left the stock market, then that 20% of the public you talk about would no longer own 90% of the stock market--instead they would then own 100% of it.

Answer, everybody, buy more stocks.

And as an added benefit, you'll be making a good investment with your money.

erowe1
10-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh wait, I just realized what's going on here. You want to get as many people to boycott stocks as possible, reasoning that if you can persuade enough investors to join you, getting them either to sell their stocks or refuse to buy more, then you'll place downward pressure on the price of those stocks and create a buying opportunity for savvy investors who aren't foolish enough to get caught up in such a boycott.

Now that I think of it, I like that plan. I think I want in on that action too. So yeah, everybody, boycott the stock market and let the rest of us benefit from your foolishness.

Elwar
10-10-2007, 02:13 PM
but what if NOW until Christmas time a large percentage of American DID NOT purchace items from fortune 500 companies

I'll be asking for donations to Ron Paul for Christmas.

michaelwise
10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
If that's the problem you want addressed, then the answer is for more investors to invest in the stock market not less. That way, the relative percentages of ownership will get spread out more evenly. But if all the principled investors followed your logic and left the stock market, then that 20% of the public you talk about would no longer own 90% of the stock market--instead they would then own 100% of it.

Answer, everybody, buy more stocks.

And as an added benefit, you'll be making a good investment with your money.I'm not talking about keeping you money out of the market forever, maybe just a year or so. When the big boys pool all your 401k money together, they use that large amount of money to prop up or drive up prices, only to have it siphoned off down the road. The majority of the population is in a recession right now, and it's not going to get better any time soon. Just do a study on the housing market and you'll find out. The stock market will eventually take another hit, do to the decreased consumer spending.

Abobo
10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Now that I think of it, I like that plan. I think I want in on that action too. So yeah, everybody, boycott the stock market and let the rest of us benefit from your foolishness.

*buys SDS*

erowe1
10-10-2007, 02:17 PM
One of the things that is currently in the wind is a deep dread on the part of Wall Streeters.

This isn't true. A deep dread on the part of Wall Streeters is easily identifiable because it translates immediately into a stock market crash.

erowe1
10-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm not talking about keeping you money out of the market forever, maybe just a year or so. When the big boys pool all your 401k money together, they use that large amount of money to prop up or drive up prices, only to have it siphoned off down the road. The majority of the population is in a recession right now, and it's not going to get better any time soon. Just do a study on the housing market and you'll find out. The stock market will eventually take another hit, do to the decreased consumer spending.

The stock market is a leading indicator of the economy, not a trailing one. I won't claim to know which way it's going to go. But I do know that there's nothing you know about the economy that isn't already known by large investors and factored into their decisions, and thus also factored into the current stock prices.

michaelwise
10-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh wait, I just realized what's going on here. You want to get as many people to boycott stocks as possible, reasoning that if you can persuade enough investors to join you, getting them either to sell their stocks or refuse to buy more, then you'll place downward pressure on the price of those stocks and create a buying opportunity for savvy investors who aren't foolish enough to get caught up in such a boycott.

It's a beautiful plan, but on such a massive scale, letting the big boys chock on all the stocks themselves.

Abobo
10-10-2007, 02:30 PM
The stock market is a leading indicator of the economy, not a trailing one. I won't claim to know which way it's going to go. But I do know that there's nothing you know about the economy that isn't already known by large investors and factored into their decisions, and thus also factored into the current stock prices.

True. But the market is using flawed data from the government to make its judgment. Fake employment numbers, fake inflation numbers, fake numbers all around. I'm an anarcho-capitalist, so I really love the market, but I don't think it can work correctly when it is being force feed false information by the government and fed.

constituent
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
i think it would be great if everyone left the saudi's stranded w/ worthless paper.

ownership in corporations (currency) long forgotten seems like just desserts. the problem is
the assets and your local banks and their henchmen, "the sherriff's department."

then you have to be prepared for a genuine Marxist style peasants' revolt... which I assure you, the RP Revolution is not about.

so in the meanwhile best embrace your new Chinese and Saudi masters and thank them for their continued support and faith in your eternal obedience.

so... inflate and invest away.

what bothers me the most is the mindset of, well I'll bet on the loss and that
way i'll win for loosing... heads i win, tails you loose. that's what is wrong with
this country and symptomatic of the death of the "american" dream.