PDA

View Full Version : Paul & Napolitano = Good Strategy?

RileyE104
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Should RP decide to run for Prez, is it good strategy to pick Napolitano as VP?

He has the experience, but my main point in asking is it good strategy is because he's also backed by FOX news, correct? I mean, he's been working for them for how long?

Does anyone in here think FOX would feel a little more inclined to give Ron Paul the coverage he deserves this time around, even if it takes some strong-arming from the good ol' Judge?

John Taylor
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM

He has the experience, but my main point in asking is it good strategy is because he's also backed by FOX news, correct? I mean, he's been working for them for how long?

Does anyone in here think FOX would feel a little more inclined to give Ron Paul the coverage he deserves this time around, even if it takes some strong-arming from the good ol' Judge?

First of all, one needs to have secured a nomination before one picks a running-mate. Secondly, Ron would need to build some coalition in order to prevent the Democrat from nominating someone who could appeal to a slice of Republicans and turn the election. It'd have to be someone with strong political conections with a swing-state or someone who can have a cross-appeal to voters who aren't necessarily all up in arms about the Fed, loose monetary policy and the wars.

Someone like Gary Johnson for instance would put New Mexico in play for the Republicans, but someone like the Judge likely isn't "big" enough on the national or state stage to bring New Jersey to the GOP column.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Judge Nap for AG

specsaregood
04-20-2010, 11:13 AM
First of all, one needs to have secured a nomination before one picks a running-mate.
Why?

My suggestion is that from the Day Ron announces, he also announces his VP running mate as well as his full cabinent. Basically "Team Ron" for Republican nomination. I think it would be a good strategy.

silverhandorder
04-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Why?

My suggestion is that from the Day Ron announces, he also announces his VP running mate as well as his full cabinent. Basically "Team Ron" for Republican nomination. I think it would be a good strategy.

I always thought that if that is a viable strategy it should be done like this.

specsaregood
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I always thought that if that is a viable strategy it should be done like this.

And here is why.
#1, campaigning is hard work. By naming his full team at the onset, he reduces his load and would have a lot of people that can go out and campaign for him all over the country and do media.

#2, The age thing, people are gonna hit him on it. By naming his VP and his cabinent, this argument can be lessened as people will be able to clearly see who his successor would be and his full staff to follow through if age/health becomes an issue.

#3, Some republicans might not like Ron, BUT they might really like the Judge or other people he named to his VP or cabinet positions. So, that might influence them to support him despite their initial objection to Ron.

There are probably quite a few other reasons, that is just off the top of my head.

The other suggestion I have is: The day he announces, he should have an "action plan" of steps he would take as President to carry through his goals. No more of this "philosophic" ideals stuff. Actual steps and plans he will initiate in order. This will help combat the speculation detractors will use, using his "philosophy' against his pragmatic self.

silverhandorder
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah that is great. There is only two cons I found. One is that this well make sure we won't get any endorsements from the likes of Romney, Palin or Huckabee which will lead them to endorse our opposition. However I never thought we would get them in the first place.

Second is that with his full team known now they are all open to scrutiny and might lead to more fronts that we have to fight over.

specsaregood
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Second is that with his full team known now they are all open to scrutiny and might lead to more fronts that we have to fight over.

Yeah, these people would need to be vetted completely internally before the announcement. I like the idea too, because I know lots of "leftists" are/were pissed about Obama saying "no lobbyists" in his cabinet while campaigning, then naming all kinds of lobbyists when he won the election. One angle on this is that it would be a much more clear/open book campaign idea. ie: Vote for me and THIS is my team and who you are putting in office, no lobbyist surprises.

ChaosControl
04-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Instead he should nominate him for a SC spot when one opens up. :D

John Taylor
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Judge Nap for AG

This would be absolutely wonderful.

Krugerrand
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Why?

I agree and for the reasons you list. I'll add that there is a reasonable, yet unfortunate, chance that Ron will lose. He has spoken plenty about wanting others to pick up the cause. He would drastically help that happen with the name recognition that being a part of Team Ron would bring.

Gary Johnson is a good VP choice ... and of course I have to plug John Mackey of Whole Foods.

Matt Collins
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Should the Judge be AG, VP, or Supreme Court nominee?

RileyE104
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM

It would be cool to see him in the SC, Ron already endorsed him for that.

specsaregood
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
and of course I have to plug John Mackey of Whole Foods.
For what role? VP?

I see no reason he couldn't be AG until a SC position opens up.

emazur
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Why?

I think the downside to this plan is that Ron's enemies will try to pick apart every flaw (real or invented - think back to the 'racist' newsletters) of Ron's picks, forcing him to waste campaign time defending his picks instead of campaigning. Look how Beck has viciously attacked Obama's team like Van Jones, Carol Browner, Cass Susstein, et al. Someone would attempt to do the same thing on Paul. That's probably why nominees wait til after they're elected to start naming cabinet names

Krugerrand
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
For what role? VP?

I see no reason he couldn't be AG until a SC position opens up.

VP would be fine.

Libertytree
04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Howdy Specs,

Good to see you my friend!!!

As you well know I think you're spot on with the Judge as VP, I can think of no one finer! He can be a SCJ later on, right now his services are much needed as VP.

specsaregood
04-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Howdy Specs,
Good to see you my friend!!!

Right back at ya LT, haven't seen you since the great GIM cataclysm of 2010.

As you well know I think you're spot on with the Judge as VP, I can think of no one finer! He can be a SCJ later on, right now his services are much needed as VP.
I'm not completely sold on the Judge as VP, I kinda like him for AG better. Just think, an AG who's focus is on going after the criminals in our government rather than who's focus is on the citizens? That would be a fundamental change, would it not? Although as VP, I guess one could use the talking point, "There has been a lot of discussion on the left and on the right under the past 2 administrations as to whether legislation is constitutional or not. As VP, my knowledge, experience and legal background will be readily available to RP when he decides on how to handle existing legislation or which legislation to promote.".

Depressed Liberator
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Judge Nap for AG, Johnson for VP.

Going to be a little awkward for Judge Nap's friend's at Fox News though when he follows the Constitution the way they do not like.

tremendoustie
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
This discussion seems a wee bit premature. ;)

Libertytree
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Right back at ya LT, haven't seen you since the great GIM cataclysm of 2010.

I'm not completely sold on the Judge as VP, I kinda like him for AG better. Just think, an AG who's focus is on going after the criminals in our government rather than who's focus is on the citizens? That would be a fundamental change, would it not? Although as VP, I guess one could use the talking point, "There has been a lot of discussion on the left and on the right under the past 2 administrations as to whether legislation is constitutional or not. As VP, my knowledge, experience and legal background will be readily available to RP when he decides on how to handle existing legislation or which legislation to promote.".

Wow!!! Where did you find that quote? I'm stunned!!!!

I just think that NAP could help in a larger capacity as VP than as an SPJ, he would know with whom those spots could be filled by, while also give major creedance and vocal power to the campaign. He could also "retire" to the SC at a later date.

As an aside, I hope you might consider giving a visit to the "other" site, I surely miss your input on things besides RP.

specsaregood
04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow!!! Where did you find that quote? I'm stunned!!!!

I made it up, it would be a good one though.

I just think that NAP could help in a larger capacity as VP than as an SPJ, he would know with whom those spots could be filled by, while also give major creedance and vocal power to the campaign. He could also "retire" to the SC at a later date.

Yeah, I'm just really like of making him the AG and sic'ing him like a rabid junkyard dog on the crooks in D.C. It would be a delightful change of pace from our past AGs.

As an aside, I hope you might consider giving a visit to the "other" site, I surely miss your input on things besides RP.
Who say's I'm not there already? :) But, there is an element there that I don't care for -- not you. I think the split will be good for all in the long-run, no reason people can't visit both sites. GIM2's focus is back on economics more and I like that.

Libertytree
04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Damn, that is a good one! I thought you pulled it from somewhere, they might have to put you on the staff!

I would think that as VP you could direct the AG in the right direction of the criminals.

Yep, there's room for more than one, choice is a good thing Specs. PM me if you're so inclined, so that I might know who you might be? I'll always be my same self, it's habit forming.:D

BrianHandeland
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I think the downside to this plan is that Ron's enemies will try to pick apart every flaw (real or invented - think back to the 'racist' newsletters) of Ron's picks, forcing him to waste campaign time defending his picks instead of campaigning. Look how Beck has viciously attacked Obama's team like Van Jones, Carol Browner, Cass Susstein, et al. Someone would attempt to do the same thing on Paul. That's probably why nominees wait til after they're elected to start naming cabinet names

I do think they would try to pick them all apart individually, and I think that is a good thing. Number 1 most of the people on "our" team are fairly clean because there not lobbyists or dirty polititions so finding real dirt isnt a possiblity when somthings not dirty, So made up attacks is what they will have to go on and those kind of attacks dont stand up near as well. Number 2 being it would bore people hearing all the BS attacks and would hence make itself unnefective. I think hearing a bunch of leftist complaing about ron pauls vps daughters are potty mouths would not only have people just saying "whatever" but it will also take some of the heat off of pauls age, which is somthing I fear if paul goes at it alone theyll find a way to make it a HUGE issue even though its not. And its gunna make it hard to make that issue HUGE if their too busy trying capitilize on bs cabinet member attacks.

Shotdown1027
04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
I think the idea of picking a VP early is kind of silly--and it will be derided as such in the media.

However, Ron Paul should definitely convince several key people to act as stand-in speakers for him all over the country. Gary Johnson, if he doesn't run, would be good (and would help him raise his profile), Rand Paul, obviously. Justice Richard B. Sanders of Washington (former Washington Supreme Court Justice, Brad Molnar of Montana (Public Service Commissioner), Judge Napolitano, Barry Goldwater Jr.. This would give us pretty good coverage of the nation (except the South, we just dont have many libertarian folks. Mike Church or Walter Block might work here in LA, with the Southern Avenger and Tom Woods elsewhere in the South). This would keep us raising money and being active all over the country, but allow Ron Paul to concentrate on the key states--Iowa, NH, SC, Florida.

Of course, he would still visit other areas, he would just do so less.

dr. hfn
04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Napolitano 2016

BrianHandeland
04-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Napolitano 2016

haha people on here think its to early to pick rons vp so I dont even wanna hear the number 2016 .... alltough im glad somones thinkin bout it

BlackTerrel
04-22-2010, 01:00 AM
And here is why.
#1, campaigning is hard work. By naming his full team at the onset, he reduces his load and would have a lot of people that can go out and campaign for him all over the country and do media.

Picking a cabinet and vetting them is a lot of work too. Especially when you are offering people a hypothetical position. That's a lot of work while you are campaigning.