PDA

View Full Version : Amazon.com Seeks to Block North Carolina Customer Data Request

tangent4ronpaul
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-20/amazon-com-seeks-to-block-north-carolina-customer-data-request.html

April 20 (Bloomberg) -- Amazon.com Inc. asked a federal court to block a request by North Carolina for customer data, including personal information about residents and what they bought from the online retailer.

The North Carolina Department of Revenue’s request, which is part of an audit of Amazon’s compliance with state sales and use tax laws, would violate the First Amendment rights of its customers, Amazon said in a complaint filed yesterday in federal court in Seattle.

Amazon said it already provided North Carolina with information about what it has sold to state residents and what they paid. North Carolina has threatened contempt proceedings if Amazon doesn’t turn over the names and addresses of each customer in the state who bought something from Amazon, according to the complaint.

A call to the public affairs office at the North Carolina Department of Revenue wasn’t answered after business hours yesterday.

The case is Amazon.com v. Kenneth R. Lay, 10-00664, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington (Seattle).

sluggo
04-20-2010, 10:00 AM
The NC government has already caused Amazon and other companies to end their affiliate programs with state residents, now they want they want nail you for back sales taxes on anything you bought.

This state has gone to hell. These clowns in charge seem to be modeling California, and we all know how well they're doing........

dannno
04-20-2010, 10:07 AM
The case is Amazon.com v. Kenneth R. Lay, 10-00664, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington (Seattle).

lol..

furface
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
It's funny how governments never focus on the real problem which is over spending.

BuddyRey
04-20-2010, 05:35 PM
The NC government has already caused Amazon and other companies to end their affiliate programs with state residents, now they want they want nail you for back sales taxes on anything you bought.

This state has gone to hell. These clowns in charge seem to be modeling California, and we all know how well they're doing........

Ditto. I'm so sick of NC's government trying to turn the state into the southern Massachusetts.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Ditto. I'm so sick of NC's government trying to turn the state into the southern Massachusetts.

You folks are getting New Jerseyfied aren't you?

As opposed to being overrun with Massholes.

Southron
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
You folks are getting New Jerseyfied aren't you?

As opposed to being overrun with Massholes.

Yes. In addition to that we get what I call the "half-backers".

First they move to Florida from the Northeast. And for whatever reason they move halfway back and land in NC.

With our economy in such bad shape as it is I hope it keeps people away.

Fly a confederate flag. They absolutely hate that.