PDA

View Full Version : Support the troops?

Reason
04-18-2010, 11:58 PM
April 18, 2010
Support the Troops on Facebook
Posted by Laurence Vance on April 18, 2010 06:57 PM

From a reader of mine who doesn’t support the troops on Facebook: (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/56065.html)

I recently got on a ‘Support the Troops’ blog on Facebook. The idea was you write in and express your ‘Support’ for the troops in whatever manner you wished. Of course, the thing was overwhelmed with cheap sloganeering and drippy boilerplate pronouncements of “Keeping us Free” and “Dying for our Rights,” and other disgustingly ignorant statements which were either educationally wrong (“Our Troops Give Us Freedom of Speech”) or geopolitically wrong (“Our Troops are Fighting those who Threatened our Freedom”) et al., ad nauseum.

Understand that my father was a decorated Marine (Navy Cross) of WWII and my Uncle a Bataan Death March survivor. BOTH men taught me both about military matters and the proper use of the military. Even though they supported their role in WWII (something now coming into question by prominent historians), they did NOT support Korea or Vietnam. They both understood that both conflicts were unconstitutional, and in many respects they both become somewhat ‘Pacifist’ in their beliefs. So, I am not a ‘Military-Hater’ bred in some ‘Red Baby’ commune.

So, I (foolishly) went on and stated that “I Support the Troops” and that the “best support is to immediately bring them home, punish all the politicians who put them there, and demand that our leaders adhere to the strict law forbidding our troops to be used in ANY situation other than DIRECT NATIONAL DEFENSE.” Well, I immediately was FLAMED by so many so called ‘Military Patriots’ that I couldn’t keep up with answering them all. And, the VICIOUS and UGLY emails I got from both soldiers and families was simply shameful. MANY told me either “Stand Behind Our Troops, Or Stand In Front of Them,” which I informed them was the same despicable, irresponsible slogan George Bush made (“If You’re Not With Us, You’re With the Terrorists”), insinuating that I should be shot by our own troops for NOT supporting the POLICY, just as Bush labeled any American a “Terrorist” for not supporting his policy.

So shameful were the comments, in fact, that I finally gave up and said, “OK, FINE. Keep em’ over there. Let em’ continue to be blown to bits by ‘IEDs’. Let them continue to be cut down by snipers. DON’T EVER BRING THEM HOME! Instead, send them into Pakistan and Iran. Let’s light off World War III. That seems to be what you want. However, let’s not forget that China and Russia are HEAVILY invested in that region, and will look upon any further aggression by the U.S. as a DIRECT THREAT to their national interests. And, in case any of you have forgotten, China alone has a standing Army of over 2.2 million FRESH troops, and can match every weapon we have. China’s FEMALE army is larger than our ENTIRE MALE army! And, I don’t think I need to explain the capabilities of Russia, either. Put them together in unison to defend their national interests against U.S. aggression, and the U.S. military will simply be OVERWHELMED. We will literally be WIPED OFF THE MAP (to coin a favorite NEOCON false statement of fact). So, go get ‘em, “HEROS”! From the ugly knee-jerk criticism you’ve (en masse) flamed me with, I can’t say I’ll feel sorry for you.”

Posted with permission of said reader. And as I told him, I think the American military mindset is hopelessly cast in stone.

slothman
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I agree with you completely.
And your relatives as well.

I do support them who fought in WWII.
That really was defending our freedom.

Reason
04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree with you completely.
And your relatives as well.

I do support them who fought in WWII.
That really was defending our freedom.

Just so it's clear, this isn't my post, it's from

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/56065.html

BlackTerrel
04-19-2010, 12:55 AM
The guy went in to pick a fight and then whined to Lew Rockwell when he got some nasty emails.

There's a time and a place for everything. I don't necessarily disagree with his sentiment. But he's really that surprised?

Reason
04-19-2010, 12:57 AM
The guy went in to pick a fight and then whined to Lew Rockwell when he got some nasty emails.

There's a time and a place for everything. I don't necessarily disagree with his sentiment. But he's really that surprised?

I'm pretty sure that this.

"So, I (foolishly) went on and stated that “I Support the Troops” and that the “best support is to immediately bring them home, punish all the politicians who put them there, and demand that our leaders adhere to the strict law forbidding our troops to be used in ANY situation other than DIRECT NATIONAL DEFENSE.”"

Is what "we" do on a daily basis...

BlackTerrel
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that this.

"So, I (foolishly) went on and stated that “I Support the Troops” and that the “best support is to immediately bring them home, punish all the politicians who put them there, and demand that our leaders adhere to the strict law forbidding our troops to be used in ANY situation other than DIRECT NATIONAL DEFENSE.”"

Is what "we" do on a daily basis...

That's why I said there is a time and place for everything.

This page was about supporting the troops and was probably filled with troops themselves and friends and family who have loved ones over there that they worry about. I imagine they did not want to debate policy.

I don't even necessarily have a problem with him saying it there. I mainly don't like his whining. What did he expect?

sevin
04-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I support their intentions (to protect their homeland), but I think many of the troops have been brainwashed into believing this war is worthwhile.

That's why I hate the question, "Do you support our troops or not?" It's not that simple.

Ninja Homer
04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Universal Soldier (the song that Ron Paul requested Aimee Allen sing at the Rally for the Republic)

He's five foot-two, and he's six feet-four,
He fights with missiles and with spears.
He's all of thirty-one, and he's only seventeen,
Been a soldier for a thousand years.

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain,
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew.
And he knows he shouldn't kill,
And he knows he always will,
Kill you for me my friend and me for you.

And he's fighting for Canada,
He's fighting for France,
He's fighting for the USA,
And he's fighting for the Russians,
And he's fighting for Japan,
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way.

And he's fighting for Democracy,
He's fighting for the Reds,
He says it's for the peace of all.
He's the one who must decide,
Who's to live and who's to die,
And he never sees the writing on the wall.

But without him,
How would Hitler have condemned him at Dachau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone,
He's the one who gives his body
As a weapon of the war,
And without him all this killing can't go on.

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
His orders come from far away no more,
They come from here and there and you and me,
And brothers can't you see,
This is not the way we put the end to war.

Nate SY
04-20-2010, 02:31 AM
I support their intentions (to protect their homeland), but I think many of the troops have been brainwashed into believing this war is worthwhile.

That's why I hate the question, "Do you support our troops or not?" It's not that simple.

As an active duty soldier I can tell you that a majority of us do not agree with Iraq or Afghanistan. Hell, a large portion of us don't believe we should be in Korea anymore (Currently Stationed Here). Although, I will admit few actually believe so strongly as I. But I'd be willing to say that percentage wise, support for Ron Paul and his causes is higher in the military than in the civilian world. Just from personal observation of course.

sevin
04-20-2010, 03:35 AM
As an active duty soldier I can tell you that a majority of us do not agree with Iraq or Afghanistan. Hell, a large portion of us don't believe we should be in Korea anymore (Currently Stationed Here). Although, I will admit few actually believe so strongly as I. But I'd be willing to say that percentage wise, support for Ron Paul and his causes is higher in the military than in the civilian world. Just from personal observation of course.

I believe you.

But how the hell do they manage to recruit so many people? Are the recruiters just very convincing, and then you change your minds after a few years of experience?

Nate SY
04-20-2010, 10:32 AM
I can't speak for the others, as I haven't asked them. I see the military as one of the few legitimate functions of the federal government. Honestly, I was opposed to the wars before I joined. However I'm fine with the prospect of being deployed because there is a group (albeit VERY small) among the military that, for lack of a more proper way to say this, hates Muslims. Some might see my willingness to deploy as compromising my values, but if I'm not there, who is to stop those few from expressing their hate? I see my presence in the military as a deterrent to any and all crimes others might commit out of an ignorant view.

That was hard for me to word, it flows well in my mind, but is hard to put down.

If I had to guess for the others, I'd say they already disagreed, but wanted the financial stability the military offers.