PDA

View Full Version : 50 reasons to donate to Hostettler April 22

erowe1
04-18-2010, 10:31 PM
50 Reasons for Ron Paul supporters to donate $50 to the Hostettler money bomb, April 22, helping to raise $50,000 in one day:

1) Ron Paul has endorsed John Hostettler for Senate.
2) Hostettler voted Ron Paul in the 2008 presidential primary and said he would do it again in 2012.
3) Hostettler, like Ron Paul, voted for Chuck Baldwin in the 2008 presidential election.
4) Hostettler voted against the Iraq War, and argued for that vote from the House floor in a speech that articulated a clear noninterventionist foreign policy.
5) Hostettler continued to stand up for that policy, writing a book against the Iraq war, which Ron Paul highly recommends.
6) Hostettler’s record of noninterventionist foreign policy extends back into the Clinton years as well, when he opposed intervention in Kosovo.
7) Hostettler speaks against fear mongering about Iran and the popular belligerent talk against that nation. He was also one of only 6 Republicans in 2006 to vote against a resolution “To Hold the Current Regime in Iran Accountable for Its Threatening Behavior and to Support a Transition to Democracy in Iran.”
8) Hostettler is against all foreign aid.
9) Hostettler voted against Medicare Part D. In fact, Ron Paul and John Hostettler are the only 2 Republicans to have voted against both the Iraq War and Medicare Part D.
10) Hostettler explicitly opposes all federal exercise of powers not among those enumerated in the Constitution.
11) Hostettler voted against No Child Left Behind.
12) Hostettler authored a bill to end federal income tax withholding.
13) Hostettler said while in office and continues to say that he supports total elimination of the federal income tax.
14) Hostettler sponsored bills to eliminate the Department of Education.
15) Hostettler sponsored bills to eliminate the Department of Energy.
16) Hostettler sponsored bills to eliminate the Department of Commerce.
17) Hostettler has stated publicly that he supports auditing and even abolishing the Federal Reserve.
18) One of Hostettler’s first acts in Congress was signing on as a sponsor of legislation to repeal the Brady Bill and assault weapons ban.
19) Hostettler authored a bill to facilitate reciprocity of concealed carry permits between states that respected the 10th Amendment and did not include national standards.
20) Hostettler singlehandedly shut down a deal between the Clinton administration and Smith & Wesson that would have used the power of the Executive branch to bypass the legislature and impose regulations on the ownership and sales of guns by manipulating the market for guns in its awarding of government contracts. Hostettler did this by a series of amendments introduced into appropriations bills.
21) Hostettler has demonstrated that he shares Ron Paul’s commitment to shutting down judicial activism by leading Congress to exercise its constitutionally enumerated power of making regulations and exceptions for the jurisdiction of the judicial branch. Ron Paul has done this with his We the People Act and Sanctity of Life Act, and Hostettler did it with the Public Expressions of Religion Act, which he authored and successfully got to be voted on and passed in the House of Representatives (later to be rejected by the Senate), as well as the Marriage Protection Act of 2003, and various amendments to appropriations bills over the years legislating that no funds be used in the enforcement of activist court decisions.
22) Hostettler is pro-life.
23) Hostettler supports repealing Obamacare.
24) Hostettler joins Ron Paul in supporting the use of earmarks.
25) Hostettler voted against warrantless wiretaps.
26) Hostettler voted against the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.
27) Hostettler opposes a national ID card.
28) Hostettler voted against every so-called free trade agreement that was brought to a vote in his tenure in Congress.
29) Hostettler sponsored a bill to withdraw from the World Trade Organization.
30) Hostettler led the fight in the immigration subcommittee of the House judiciary committee to keep the House from passing the amnesty for illegal immigrants that President Bush supported, after that bill had passed the Senate.
31) Hostettler cosponsored Ron Paul’s amendments to appropriations bills for defunding the United Nations.
32) Hostettler voted against the $52 Billion Katrina aid package.
33) Even on issues where Hostettler disagrees with Ron Paul, he always gives clear, well-thought-out, principled, Constitution-based reasons for those differences. This can be seen in his interview with the Indiana state coordinator of the Campaign for Liberty. Ron Paul expresses his own appreciation for this quality of Hostettler’s in his endorsement.
34) Hostettler has stood many times in defiance of the wishes of his own party’s leadership.
35) Hostettler is recognized by friend and foe as a champion of the Constitution.
36) In the Senate Hostettler will vote on and question judicial nominees. He will be able to bring to bear in this questioning a level of seriousness about the Constitution that no current senator has.
37) In the Senate Hostettler will be able to exercise much more influence than what just one member of the House of Representatives can exercise.
38) Hostettler refused PAC money for all 7 of his House races.
39) Hostettler would make a great ally for Rand Paul in the Senate.
40) In 2008 Ron Paul had zero endorsements from any sitting members of the House or Senate. He could have at least two endorsements of sitting senators if we elect Hostettler.
41) Hostettler is polling neck-and-neck with the GOP establishment pick, Dan Coats.
42) Hostettler polls better than every other Republican candidate against Brad Ellsworth in the general election matchup.
43) It is widely believed that the reason Coats was recruited back to Indiana to run again was out of fear of the party leaders having to deal with an uncompromising constitutional conservative like Hostettler. The timing of the Republican leaders’ recruiting of Mike Pence and then Dan Coats to run, right after a poll had shown Hostettler within the margin of error in a general election matchup against Evan Bayh, combined with the fact that every single general election poll shows Hostettler performing better than Coats against every possible Democrat opponent, suggests that to be the case.
44) Hostettler sponsored a bill allowing parents not to get social security numbers for their children without having to forego their tax deduction.
45) When most Republicans voted to end the government shutdown of 1996 by passing the unbalanced budget Clinton wanted them to (driven in part by the presidential aspirations of Bob Dole), Hostettler was one of only a handful of Republicans to vote against it.
46) Anti-war Republican congressman, Walter Jones says, “The president [Bush] was calling people as late as 1 or 2 in the morning to get them to vote for the Medicare prescription drug benefit, John voted his conscience first, not his party…. I admire him so much. He knows more about the Constitution than almost anyone in Congress.”
47) The RNC member who was most active in recruiting Dan Coats, Jim Bopp, was the very same one who orchestrated the last minute rules change for the Indiana Republican state convention in 2008 that was used to prevent Ron Paul supporting delegates from exercising any influence on the delegate selection process there.
48) In legislation that Hostettler supports pursuant to his staunch socially conservative beliefs, he always takes an approach that is consistent with the 10th Amendment.
49) There were only 3 Republican senators who voted against the confirmation of Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the Supreme Court. If Hostettler were in the Senate for that vote, he would have been #4.
50) There were only 17 Republican Congressmen who opposed all 5 bailouts of 2008-2009. If Hostettler were in Congress at that time, he would have been #18.

qh4dotcom
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds great but I hear his record is not as immaculate as Ron Paul's...what were some of his few mistakes?
Don't get me wrong, I'll be sending him a donation.

low preference guy
04-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Sounds great but I hear his record is not as immaculate as Ron Paul's...what were some of his few mistakes?

Some of your concerns are discussed below:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=240716.

Let's try to keep this thread positive.

AuH20
04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Hostettler is more conservative than Rand and that's saying something.

erowe1
04-18-2010, 11:17 PM

Nobody's record was the same as Ron Paul's. The biggest marks against Hostettler from a RP-supporter's standpoint are his support for the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act, I think. I've seen other things people point out from time to time that I consider kind of nit picky compared to those.

A lot of RP supporters around Indiana have appreciated the way Hostettler has explained those votes when asked. Even if they still disagree they can tell he has principled reasons for his view, and that when he talks about it, he's clearly not pandering to them even though he knows he's saying something they don't like. Here's an interview he did with the Indiana state CFL coordinator where they talk a fair amount about the Patriot Act.
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=34662

Let me know if that link comes up for you. I'm not sure if you have to be an Indiana CFL member to see it. It's on youtube, but my browser just crashed twice when I tried to get it from there.

low preference guy
04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Let me know if that link comes up for you. I'm not sure if you have to be an Indiana CFL member to see it.

Link working out of Indiana. Not even a neighbor to Indiana.

Badger Paul
04-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Bump!

erowe1
04-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Someone on Facebook replied to this list by calling Hostettler a lunatic, which served to remind me of reason #51.

Hostettler once said that the right to keep and bear arms has no limits, including nuclear weapons.

itshappening
04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
9) Hostettler voted against Medicare Part D. In fact, Ron Paul and John Hostettler are the only 2 Republicans to have voted against both the Iraq War and Medicare Part D.

Ron needs to urgently go to Indiana and help him and campaign for him

We need John Hostettler in the Senate !!

The good outweighs the bad

erowe1
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM

Ron needs to urgently go to Indiana and help him and campaign for him

We need John Hostettler in the Senate !!

The good outweighs the bad

RP has already done a lot. I don't know if Hostettler would be comfortable personally asking him for more favors. That aspect of politics is not the kind of thing he really seems to like to do. But I've emailed Jesse Benton from time to time begging for more help. I don't want to overdo that either.

But if others want to join in, and try to grease the wheels, I'm sure it would help. An email to RP's whole list some time on the night of the 21st or during the day on the 22nd would do more for the money bomb than the collective efforts of what every Hostettler supporter is doing right now to spread the word about it.

itshappening
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Yeah an email touting Hostettler on the 22nd or any other time would be perfect.

Keep begging Erowe, this is important

erowe1
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Anybody hear have a good relationship with Benton or anyone else who has access to any huge email lists of RP supporters?

erowe1
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Bump.

low preference guy
04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
what about contacting the Hostettler campaign to contact Ron Paul? The Hostettler campaign sure has access.

Cowlesy
04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
#51 You can finally call a Senator "The Hoss"

erowe1
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM
what about contacting the Hostettler campaign to contact Ron Paul? The Hostettler campaign sure has access.

They definitely do have access. I hope they try. I've suggested it. But I wouldn't count on it happening. And if we have any other cards to play in the grassroots, we need to play them.

erowe1
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
#51 You can finally call a Senator "The Hoss"

He pronounces it with a long "o" though.

I think a good slogan would be, "Don't get hosed. Get Hostettler."

free1
04-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Liberty and personal freedom bump!

erowe1
04-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Reason #53,

Hostettler consistently scored among the top 3 members of Congress in the Freedom Index (formerly called the Conservative Index) of the John Birch Society.

Cowlesy
04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
He pronounces it with a long "o" though.

I think a good slogan would be, "Don't get hosed. Get Hostettler."

Yeah you told me that once already, and I am still ignoring the clarification. ;)

erowe1
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah you told me that once already, and I am still ignoring the clarification. ;)

That's fine. The Hoss works.

John Taylor
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Haha, nice.

dr. hfn
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Hostettler is a go

MRoCkEd
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Seriously, the main thing is to have Ron Paul send an email to his WHOLE list.
I don't care if it's uncomfortable to ask for favors. Does he want to win or not?

erowe1
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Seriously, the main thing is to have Ron Paul send an email to his WHOLE list.
I don't care if it's uncomfortable to ask for favors. Does he want to win or not?

I think the parties involved have talked about it and the ball is in RP's court. I don't expect him to do it. But some more messages from grassroots supporters of his, expressing support for Hostettler and the money bomb, might be what it takes. I don't think there's any more Hostettler can do. I don't expect him to beg.

MRoCkEd
04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
He should beg.

erowe1
04-20-2010, 03:05 PM
He should beg.

I think we should worry about the things we can control rather than the things we can't.

Incidentally, when I first called Liberty PAC to ask about endorsing Hostettler, the lady who answered just gave me Jesse Benton's email address and phone number right over the phone. So if anybody wants to put in a good word for the cause, the channels are there to get the message through.

The Liberty PAC phone # is 1-800-RON-PAUL (1-800-766-7285).

And the Liberty PAC email address (which is not the one she gave me for Jesse, but it might go to him) is info@libertypac.net.

Also, even if we don't get RP to mail his whole nationwide list, don't be pessimistic. We'll get a good amount of donations from within Indiana. If 500 in-state people donate an average of $75 each, then that's $37,500 right there. If we want to push that up to $50k, that just leaves us to get the word out to enough people around the country without RP's help to pull in another $12,500. That's all very doable.

John Taylor
04-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I think we should worry about the things we can control rather than the things we can't.

Incidentally, when I first called Liberty PAC to ask about endorsing Hostettler, the lady who answered just gave me Jesse Benton's email address and phone number right over the phone. So if anybody wants to put in a good word for the cause, the channels are there to get the message through.

The Liberty PAC phone # is 1-800-RON-PAUL (1-800-766-7285).

And the Liberty PAC email address (which is not the one she gave me for Jesse, but it might go to him) is info@libertypac.net.

Also, even if we don't get RP to mail his whole nationwide list, don't be pessimistic. We'll get a good amount of donations from within Indiana. If 500 in-state people donate an average of $75 each, then that's $37,500 right there. If we want to push that up to $50k, that just leaves us to get the word out to enough people around the country without RP's help to pull in another $12,500. That's all very doable.

We on here should be able to get Hostettler 50K the day after tomorrow.

erowe1
04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Reason #54 - this book review:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...61027&comments

Many Republican candidates are attacking President Obama this year, but John Hostettler is the only one to criticize Obama for abandoning the anti-war lobby. According to the Evansville newspaper, he "accused Obama of abandoning his anti-Iraq War views. 'The one person, the one person who can get us out, who has unilateral authority to get us out, doesn't want to,' he said."

Book Review by Gregory Hilton
Former Congressman John Hostettler (IN) is now running for the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate. He is in a primary with former Senator Dan Coats and State Senator Marlin Stutzman. The incumbent Democrat Evan Bayh surprised everyone by announcing his retirement on the day before the filing deadline. The GOP now has an excellent chance to capture this open seat.
Hostettler describes himself as "very conservative" but on foreign policy and national security issues his outlook is similar to the extreme left of the Democratic Party. There is little difference between the isolationist foreign policy he advocates and the viewpoint of anti-war activists Michael Moore and Cindy Sheehan.
Yesterday, Hostettler's campagin was endorsed by Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), the 1988 Libertarian Party presidential candidate. The Texan noted:
'John was a good friend and valuable ally . . when we served together in the House of Representatives. I always knew I could count on John.' In a review of the book Paul said 'My friend and former colleague John Hostettler, who was one of the few Republicans to oppose the Iraqi War, not only demolishes the 'official' justifications for attacking Iraq, but he demonstrates why true conservatives should have joined John and myself in opposing the war. I urge all Campaign for Liberty members, and anyone who wishes to understand how America was neoconned into the Iraq war, to read John's book.'

In 2002 Hostettler was one of only six Republicans to vote against the Iraq war resolution. He is a disciple of Pat Buchanan and says we were in Iraq because of the influence of people "with Jewish backgrounds." The lead review of this book on Amazon praises the book by saying:
The immense Jewish lobby, and their legions of Jewish public servants that have positioned themselves at all levels in our government, have basically taken over the foreign policy of our USA. They have wrongly directed us into this useless, unnecessary war, that may never end. We should condemn such an 'invasion' of our government by persons that have strong loyalties to countries other than our own. . .The entire world agrees that the USA is nothing more than an arm of Tel Aviv. . . Bravo to Rep. Hostettler for his brave stand.

Hostettler says he is against RINO's (Republicans in Name Only), but he appears to be a RINO himself. He completely disagrees with the GOP platform on foreign policy and opposes the U.S. mission in Iraq and Afghanistan. The book contains many quotes from the founding fathers, but he clearly does not understand their intentions.
The American revolution was won at Yorktown but there were more French soldiers than American. The author says George Washington's farewell address is his guiding principle, but the Founders were not isolationists. Washington's advice was wise for the years after the French revolution and before the war of 1812.
We should not have been choosing sides between France and Britain which was the hallmark of the campaign when our first president left office. In the same speech Washington advised against the creation of political parties. The Constitution of 1789 allowed slavery and women were denied the right right to vote. We have a different outlook from the time Washington spoke in 1796.
Hostettler wants to ignore the lessons of the 20th century, and is completely opposed to the Republican Party's freedom agenda. He wants to end America’s system of collective security, which probably would have avoided both World Wars I and II. He acknowledges Afghanistan’s responsibility for 9/11 and admits Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, but Hostettler never wants to do anything in response. In fact, he wants to ignore all evil in the world. He wanted to do nothing about the genocide in Darfur or the ethnic cleaning in the former Yugoslavia.
Morality means nothing to him, and he wants to ignore all of the state sponsors of terror. His repeated insistence that "There is no risk of somebody invading us" is just what the isolationists of the 1930s believed -- right up until Pearl Harbor. They did attack us: 1993 (WTC I), 1996 (Khobar Towers), 1998 (African Embassies), 2000 (USS Cole), and 2001 (WTC/Pentagon). Their logic would have caused the US to lift not a finger to help Europe against Hitler (remember: "non-intervention"), nor help the West Berliners (1948), nor help the South Koreans (1950), nor help the Grenadians (1984), nor help the Kuwaitis (1990).
Hostettler's idea that we can maintain peace by halting our projection of military strength has been proven wrong by history. Many Republicans are attacking President Obama this year, but Hostettler is the only to criticize Obama for abandoning the anti-war lobby. He "accused Obama of abandoning his anti-Iraq War views. 'The one person, the one person who can get us out, who has unilateral authority to get us out, doesn't want to,' he said." Many of Hostettler's appearances have been sponsored by "Veterans for Peace."
Many of the observations about Hostettler in the "Hoosier Hopeful" article in the isolationist "American Conservative" magazine are accurate. It says Hostettler "is unapologetic about his disagreements with neoconservatives. 'The neocons know what a Senator Hostettler would mean,' he says. 'They would rather have Evan Bayh as the lead sponsor of sanctions against Iran, bringing us to the brink of war or a Republican who would do the same thing.' Hostettler argues, 'They want to mold the Republican Party’s image on foreign policy, and I am not of that mold.' . . . Foreign policy is likely to remain a hotly debated topic in the general election, where the probable Democratic replacements for Bayh are all centrists not known for their antiwar views. But first, Hostettler will have to get there."

AuH20
04-21-2010, 08:52 AM
In one word, "badass." ;)

http://www.johnhostettler.com/?p=697

John spent 12 years representing the 8th District of Indiana in the U.S. House of Representatives, and during those 12 years he voted on principle. When the establishment wanted him to vote a certain way, they knew they couldn’t convince John to compromise. One famous leader, when trying to count votes on a bill he wanted to push, told his colleagues “leave Hostettler alone, you can’t change his vote.”

MRoCkEd
04-21-2010, 09:01 AM
John Hostettler has been endorsed by the Republican Liberty Caucus:

http://www.rlc.org/endorsements/2010-endorsed-candidates/#25

erowe1
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM
#57 - This (https://senateconservatives.com/stutzman)

erowe1
04-21-2010, 06:57 PM
T minus 3 hours.

Get ready to make an explosion folks!

Bergie Bergeron
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
bump

itshappening
04-22-2010, 12:11 AM
12 days until Hostettler's primary! DONATE now and make a difference!

erowe1
04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
bump

aready
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
We've got to get him some money guys! Right now they are standing at 100 people donated. He has a great chance at winning! Let's help him get the message out there!
Donate today!

http://www.johnhostettler.com/

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Bump!!

MRoCkEd
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
150 contributors... we can do better than that!

itshappening
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Indiana is an OPEN senate seat with Hostettler leading by 15-20 points

he can win this.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I just dumped 150 bucks on Hoss. The Stutzman fund raising push pissed me off. DON'T MESS WITH US!!! :D

Christopher John, your donation is now complete
Confirmation number: 3X7xxxxxx2994L. An email with your donation details has been sent to sharptalons@optonline.net and you
can print your donation receipt. Donations Coordinator Contact Information
John Hostettler for Senate
contributions@johnhostettler.com

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I just dumped 150 bucks on Hoss. The Stutzman fund raising push pissed me off. DON'T MESS WITH US!!! :D

Just Donated!!!

erowe1
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Outstanding!

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Outstanding!

We have to get him money! For even 100k we could win a senate seat!!!! What the hell is wrong with some people.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 11:44 AM
We have to get him money! For even 100k we could win a senate seat!!!! What the hell is wrong with some people.

Think of the money we throw away on fringe candidates, and now we have a prime opportunity to literally knock the hinges off the door!!!! I'm greedy. I want both Rand AND Hostettler making life miserable for McConnell!!! I could just see the Corkers, Cornyns, and Lamar Alexanders just shaking their head in amazement like "WHO THE HELL LET THESE GUYS INTO OUR CLUB?!?"

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Think of the money we throw away on fringe candidates, and now we have a prime opportunity to literally knock the hinges off the door!!!! I'm greedy. I want both Rand AND Hostettler making life miserable for McConnell!!!

Seriously, we dump money into good guys like BJ Lawson and Peter Schiff, who have a very very small chance of ever winning, when for a small fraction of that money, we have a LOCK with Hostettler.

MRoCkEd
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Seriously, we dump money into good guys like BJ Lawson and Peter Schiff, who have a very very small chance of ever winning, when for a small fraction of that money, we have a LOCK with Hostettler.
So true!

AuH20
04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Pence Endorse Coats. SON OF A BITCH:

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NTk3OGU5Y2ZkNmQ2NjNhMzY2MWQ5YzA4YjJkM2UzNzA=

Odin
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Just donated. How's it looking so far?

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
So true ! We need a sub-forum, badly.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Any word on the Sarah Palin front? Anyone got her address? I may have to go the certified mail route. A coveted Palin endorsement could blow this race out of the water. Granted, I'm a gifted letter writer and all, I could appeal to Sarah's core convictions ;):D

AuH20
04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok. I just found it. Wish me luck!

Sarah Palin
1140 W Parks Hwy
Wasilla, AK 99654

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Write a letter to Sarah PAC too.

erowe1
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Freedomworks is another one worth working on. Armey has a lot of respect for the Hoss. I've exchanged messages with someone from there and they were thinking about it but didn't seem ready to get involved in this one. You have to sign up on their website (for free) to submit messages on a comment form about endorsements.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Freedomworks is another one worth working on. Armey has a lot of respect for the Hoss. I've exchanged messages with someone from there and they were thinking about it but didn't seem ready to get involved in this one. You have to sign up on their website (for free) to submit messages on a comment form about endorsements.

:(

erowe1
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
:(

I think a good performance in today's money bomb would help win them over, btw.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
The landscape of endorsements looks like the following:

- Pence, McCain, Cornyn & James Dobson support COATS. Supposedly, Hostettler while in Congress objected to one of Dobson's pet projects and Dobson has not forgetten the snub. Dobson always endorses faux repubs. That's his job. As the primary approaches, expect more establishment names to throw their support behind Coats. He's a good ole boy.

- Ron obviously threw his weight behind the HOSS.

- DeMint for some reason unbenounced to me, threw his backing to STUTZMAN.

It's essentially a real battle of ideologies and governing philosophies. We need to pull this out. I'm thinking a Palin endorsement would completely suck the life out of a Stutzman camp that is over-relying on the residual energies of the Tea Party movement.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Has she endorsed in a race where McCain has endorsed?

erowe1
04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
- DeMint for some reason unbenounced to me, threw his backing to STUTZMAN.

I think Demint wants to get people in there who will feel obligated to vote for him as Republican leader. Coats is probably too much on the inside already to be expected not to vote for McConnell. Hostettler, ironically, probably would vote for Demint over McConnell if I had to guess. But Hostettler wouldn't be one to make a promise like that in exchange for an endorsement. Also, a couple months back, Demint's PAC ran a push poll asking if they should endorse anyone in Indiana and obviously worded the poll in Stutzman's favor. In it, they described Hostettler as very reliably conservative but went out of their way to knock him for his vote against the Iraq War.

Bern
04-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I just donated $25. It's not much, but it helps show that there is some support out there.

Someone wrote that he supported the Patriot Act and MCA. I would probably have donated more if his voting record on important civil liberty issues was stronger. Still, if he's anti-war, anti-tax and anti-spend, and bucking the GOP machine, he's probably an order of magnitude better than any of the alternatives.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I just donated $25. It's not much, but it helps show that there is some support out there.

Someone wrote that he supported the Patriot Act and MCA. I would probably have donated more if his voting record on important civil liberty issues was stronger. Still, if he's anti-war, anti-tax and anti-spend, and bucking the GOP machine, he's probably an order of magnitude better than any of the alternatives.

Every bit counts. Thank you.

BTW I beleive he voted against warrantless wiretaps.

John Taylor
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Every bit counts. Thank you.

BTW I beleive he voted against warrantless wiretaps.

The Hoss is solid. He's not a neo-con, and really dislikes them.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 03:05 PM
The Hoss is solid. He's not a neo-con, and really dislikes them.
The Hoff too :p

AuH20
04-22-2010, 03:05 PM
If dollars translated to favorable poll numbers, the Hoss would be deadmeat right now:

Coats raised $379,299 though March thanks to his past ties with GOP heavyweights.

Stutzman the "lowly farmer" turned politician somehow raised $226,847.

Even Behney the goddamned plumber outraised Hoss with $47,199.

And bringing up the rear, the old Hoss with a disappointing 37k.

Now how is Hostettler polling within the margin of error? It's amazing how badly he's getting beat down in fundraising and still remains highly competitive.

Bergie Bergeron
04-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Amazing really.

AuH20
04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Levin loves Stutzman predictably:

http://www.marklevinshow.com/Article.asp?id=1773788&spid=32364

Sola_Fide
02-18-2011, 09:08 AM
50 Reasons for Ron Paul supporters to donate $50 to the Hostettler money bomb, April 22, helping to raise $50,000 in one day:

2) Hostettler voted Ron Paul in the 2008 presidential primary and said he would do it again in 2012.
3) Hostettler, like Ron Paul, voted for Chuck Baldwin in the 2008 presidential election.
4) Hostettler voted against the Iraq War, and argued for that vote from the House floor in a speech that articulated a clear noninterventionist foreign policy.
5) Hostettler continued to stand up for that policy, writing a book against the Iraq war, which Ron Paul highly recommends.
6) Hostettler’s record of noninterventionist foreign policy extends back into the Clinton years as well, when he opposed intervention in Kosovo.
7) Hostettler speaks against fear mongering about Iran and the popular belligerent talk against that nation. He was also one of only 6 Republicans in 2006 to vote against a resolution “To Hold the Current Regime in Iran Accountable for Its Threatening Behavior and to Support a Transition to Democracy in Iran.”
10) Hostettler explicitly opposes all federal exercise of powers not among those enumerated in the Constitution.
13) Hostettler said while in office and continues to say that he supports total elimination of the federal income tax.
17) Hostettler has stated publicly that he supports auditing and even abolishing the Federal Reserve.
18) One of Hostettler’s first acts in Congress was signing on as a sponsor of legislation to repeal the Brady Bill and assault weapons ban.
19) Hostettler authored a bill to facilitate reciprocity of concealed carry permits between states that respected the 10th Amendment and did not include national standards.
20) Hostettler singlehandedly shut down a deal between the Clinton administration and Smith & Wesson that would have used the power of the Executive branch to bypass the legislature and impose regulations on the ownership and sales of guns by manipulating the market for guns in its awarding of government contracts. Hostettler did this by a series of amendments introduced into appropriations bills.
21) Hostettler has demonstrated that he shares Ron Paul’s commitment to shutting down judicial activism by leading Congress to exercise its constitutionally enumerated power of making regulations and exceptions for the jurisdiction of the judicial branch. Ron Paul has done this with his We the People Act and Sanctity of Life Act, and Hostettler did it with the Public Expressions of Religion Act, which he authored and successfully got to be voted on and passed in the House of Representatives (later to be rejected by the Senate), as well as the Marriage Protection Act of 2003, and various amendments to appropriations bills over the years legislating that no funds be used in the enforcement of activist court decisions.
26) Hostettler voted against the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.
28) Hostettler voted against every so-called free trade agreement that was brought to a vote in his tenure in Congress.
30) Hostettler led the fight in the immigration subcommittee of the House judiciary committee to keep the House from passing the amnesty for illegal immigrants that President Bush supported, after that bill had passed the Senate.
31) Hostettler cosponsored Ron Paul’s amendments to appropriations bills for defunding the United Nations.
33) Even on issues where Hostettler disagrees with Ron Paul, he always gives clear, well-thought-out, principled, Constitution-based reasons for those differences. This can be seen in his interview with the Indiana state coordinator of the Campaign for Liberty. Ron Paul expresses his own appreciation for this quality of Hostettler’s in his endorsement.
34) Hostettler has stood many times in defiance of the wishes of his own party’s leadership.
35) Hostettler is recognized by friend and foe as a champion of the Constitution.
36) In the Senate Hostettler will vote on and question judicial nominees. He will be able to bring to bear in this questioning a level of seriousness about the Constitution that no current senator has.
37) In the Senate Hostettler will be able to exercise much more influence than what just one member of the House of Representatives can exercise.
40) In 2008 Ron Paul had zero endorsements from any sitting members of the House or Senate. He could have at least two endorsements of sitting senators if we elect Hostettler.
41) Hostettler is polling neck-and-neck with the GOP establishment pick, Dan Coats.
42) Hostettler polls better than every other Republican candidate against Brad Ellsworth in the general election matchup.
43) It is widely believed that the reason Coats was recruited back to Indiana to run again was out of fear of the party leaders having to deal with an uncompromising constitutional conservative like Hostettler. The timing of the Republican leaders’ recruiting of Mike Pence and then Dan Coats to run, right after a poll had shown Hostettler within the margin of error in a general election matchup against Evan Bayh, combined with the fact that every single general election poll shows Hostettler performing better than Coats against every possible Democrat opponent, suggests that to be the case.
44) Hostettler sponsored a bill allowing parents not to get social security numbers for their children without having to forego their tax deduction.
45) When most Republicans voted to end the government shutdown of 1996 by passing the unbalanced budget Clinton wanted them to (driven in part by the presidential aspirations of Bob Dole), Hostettler was one of only a handful of Republicans to vote against it.
46) Anti-war Republican congressman, Walter Jones says, “The president [Bush] was calling people as late as 1 or 2 in the morning to get them to vote for the Medicare prescription drug benefit, John voted his conscience first, not his party…. I admire him so much. He knows more about the Constitution than almost anyone in Congress.”
47) The RNC member who was most active in recruiting Dan Coats, Jim Bopp, was the very same one who orchestrated the last minute rules change for the Indiana Republican state convention in 2008 that was used to prevent Ron Paul supporting delegates from exercising any influence on the delegate selection process there.
48) In legislation that Hostettler supports pursuant to his staunch socially conservative beliefs, he always takes an approach that is consistent with the 10th Amendment.
49) There were only 3 Republican senators who voted against the confirmation of Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the Supreme Court. If Hostettler were in the Senate for that vote, he would have been #4.
50) There were only 17 Republican Congressmen who opposed all 5 bailouts of 2008-2009. If Hostettler were in Congress at that time, he would have been #18.

Bump.

MRoCkEd
02-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Um, why?

Invisible Man
04-07-2024, 07:16 PM
Bump for renewed relevance.

unknown
04-08-2024, 10:34 AM
Legit bump.

Swordsmyth
04-09-2024, 12:16 AM

Bump.

PAF
04-09-2024, 07:59 PM
This guy started out decent with a Freedom Index score of 80% in 1999, but by 2005-2006 fell down to 68%. He might be a shade slightly better(?) than a neocon challenger, but Hostettler seems to be another run-of-the-mill republican himself. IMO, no liberty-oriented candidate would ever vote in favor of Military Tribunals, Patriot Act (twice), Headstart Funding, Federal Education grants, NATO expansion, Foreign Aid giveaways, or other things listed below.

John Hostettler
Representative
Indiana District 8
Republican

Voted YES on H.R. 6166 Military Tribunals
We Oppose. Under this bill, a defendant's rights would be curtailed: he would be denied the right of habeas corpus; he could be detained indefinitely; and evidence obtained through coercion could be used against him--so long as the coercion falls outside the administration's definition of torture.

Voted NO on H.R. 5631 Iran Military Operations
We Support. The power to declare war belongs to Congress, not to the president, and such power should not be in the hands of one man. The amendment would bar any funds to initiate military operations in Iran unless it is in accordance with Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution, which delegates to Congress alone the power to declare war.

Voted YES on H.R. 5384 Agriculture Appropriations
We Oppose. Federal aid to farmers and federal food aid to individuals are not authorized by the Constitution.

Voted YES on H.R. 4939 Supplemental Appropriations
We Oppose. Even if the spending were constitutional, the funding should be voted on as part of the regular appropriations process and not introduced after the fact as "emergency" spending, ignoring fiscal responsibility.

Voted YES on H.R. 3199 Patriot Act Reauthorization
We Oppose. The Patriot Act tramples on the constitutionally protected rights of U.S. citizens.

Voted YES on H.R. 3010 Labor-HHS-Education Appropriations
We Oppose. This bill would provide an increase in spending, and social-welfare programs are unconstitutional.

Voted YES on H.R. 2123 Head Start Funding
We Oppose. This bill would further federalize the educational system, and federal aid to education is unconstitutional.

Voted YES on H.R. 3 Surface Transportation
We Oppose. This bill increases transportation spending and is fiscally irresponsible.

Voted YES on H.R. 3199 Patriot Act Reauthorization
We Oppose. The Patriot Act tramples on the constitutionally protected rights of U.S. citizens.

Voted YES on H R 2745 Henry J. Hyde United Nations Reform Act
We Oppose. UN "Reforms." On the surface, this United Nations "reform" bill (H.R. 2745) appears to be a "conservative" get-tough response to UN corruption. It would withhold up to 50 percent of U.S. dues to the UN unless the UN makes certain operational changes, and many "conservatives" voted for it. In reality, the legislation calls for strengthening the UN in the name of "reform." Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) warned in his June 13 Texas Straight Talk column that the "reform" bill supports creation of a "Peace-building Commission," which "will serve as the implementing force for the internationalization of what were formerly internal affairs of sovereign nations."

Voted YES on H R 1268 Making emergency supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2005, and for other purposes.
We Oppose. Supplemental Appropriations. The final version (conference report) of this supplemental appropriations bill (H.R. 1268) would add another $82 billion to the federal budget.

Voted YES on H R 3550 Transportation Equity Act
We Oppose. Surface Transportation. This bill (H.R. 3550) would authorize $284 billion in federal aid for highway, mass transit, and safety and research programs.

Voted YES on H R 3289 Emergency Supplemental Appropriations for Defense and for the Reconstruction of Iraq and Afghanistan
We Oppose. Supplemental Spending for Iraq & Afghanistan. The final version (conference report) of H.R. 3289 would appropriate $87.5 billion in supplemental fiscal 2004 spending for military operations and reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is the largest supplemental that Congress has ever passed. Of this total, military operations would receive $65.8 billion. Iraq reconstruction would be funded by grants totaling $18.6 billion, while reconstruction in Afghanistan would receive $1.2 billion.

Voted YES on S. 2578 Debt Limit
We Oppose. The supposed need for increasing the debt ceiling by $450 billion demonstrates that the federal government is still on a trajectory of out-of-control spending. Instead of raising the legal limit on what the federal government may borrow, Congress should cut spending.

Voted YES on H R 3717 Federal Deposit Insurance Reform Act
We Oppose. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). This bill would merge two FDIC insurance funds and increase the amount of FDIC-protected money in individual bank accounts from $100,000 to $130,000. As is the case with most agencies created by Congress, FDIC is just another example of an unconstitutional activity of the federal government.

Voted YES on H R 2646 Farm Security Act
We Oppose. Farm Bill. The final version (conference report) of H.R. 2646 amends and extends the major farm income support, land conservation, food assistance, trade promotion, rural development, research, forestry, and energy programs administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. When combined with estimated spending already authorized prior to enactment of this law, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that "H.R. 2646 will bring total spending for the above programs to $73.7 billion in 2002 … and $869.3 billion over the 2002-2012 period. Of these totals, food assistance programs account for $51.3 billion in 2002 … and $626.8 billion over the 2002-2012 period." Constitutionalists have denounced H.R. 2646 because it repudiates free-market principles and authorizes vast amounts of unconstitutional spending.

Voted YES on H R 3210 Terrorism Risk Protection Act
We Oppose. Terrorism Insurance. This bill (H.R. 3210) would authorize a three-year federal loan program to help the casualty and property insurance industry cover future terrorist-related losses. The loans would pay 90 percent of claims arising from acts of terrorism next year that result in more than $1 billion in insured claims. The loans would be repaid through assessments on insurance companies to repay insured claims for up to $20 billion. Loans for insured claims beyond $20 billion and up to $100 billion would be repaid through surcharges on commercial policyholders. This bill would also restrict terrorist-related lawsuits to federal court, ban punitive damages in such suits, and limit non-economic damages and attorneys fees.

Voted YES on H R 3167 NATO Expansion. Gerald B.H. Solomon Freedom Consolidation Act
We Oppose. NATO Expansion. This bill’s self-described purpose (H.R. 3167) is: "To endorse the vision of further enlargement of the NATO Alliance articulated by President George W. Bush on June 15, 2001, and by former President William J. Clinton on October 22, 1996…." In this bill the House "… reaffirms its [Congress’] previous expressions of support for continued enlargement of the NATO Alliance contained in the NATO Participation Act of 1994, the NATO Enlargement Facilitation Act of 1996, and the European Security Act of 1998…." This bill also authorizes a total of $55.5 million in military aid for fiscal 2002 for Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, and Romania. However, Congress should be acting to preserve our national sovereignty by getting our nation out of NATO. NATO was established as a subsidiary of the United Nations by the North Atlantic Treaty (April 4, 1949), which stated in its Article 1: "The Parties undertake, as set forth in the Charter of the United Nations, … to refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force in any manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations."

Voted YES on H.R. 3162 Anti-Terrorism Authority
We Oppose. This bill expands the list of crimes deemed terrorist acts; increases the ability of law enforcement to secretly search homes and business records; expands the FBI's wiretapping and surveillance authority; and provides for nationwide jurisdiction for search warrants and electronic surveillance devices, including the legal extension of those devices to e-mail and the Internet.

Voted YES on H R 2926 Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act
We Oppose. Airline Bailout. After the September 11th terrorist attacks, the House voted on a bailout for the airline industry known as the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act (H.R. 2926). This Act would provide $5 billion in cash, and up to $10 billion in loan guarantees, for air carriers.

Voted YES on H R 4811 Foreign Operations Appropriations
We Oppose. Fiscal 2001 Foreign Aid Giveaways. This bill would waste $13.3 billion for international giveaways and export subsidies. Although the bill represents a $451 million cut from fiscal 2000, one dime in foreign aid is one dime too much.

Voted NO on H R 4392 On Agreeing to H. Amdt. 738 to H R 4392
We Support. Disclose Intelligence Spending to Congress. Representative Tim Roemer (D-IN) offered this amendment to require the CIA director to submit an unclassified report every year to Congress on total spending on intelligence operations.

Voted YES on H R 853 On Agreeing to H. Amdt. 709 to H R 853
We Oppose. Automatic Funding of the Welfare State. Representative George Gekas (R-PA) offered this dangerous amendment to automatically renew funding for any of the regular 13 appropriations bills at the previous year’s spending level if they are not en-acted into law by the new fiscal year. According to Representative Jim Walsh (R-NY), under the amendment, Congress would "yield more power to the President by putting the government out on automatic pilot."

Voted NO on H R 3908 On Agreeing to H. Amdt. 642 to H R 3908
We Support. DEA Funding Cuts. Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) offered this amendment to the fiscal 2000 supplemental appropriations bill. It called for a $293 million cut in Drug Enforcement Administration funding, a $186 million cut in funding for drug-fighting by the Defense Department, and another $1.1 billion cut in economic aid to Colombia. The amendment also would halt funding for military construction outside the U.S. and would end funding for military operations in Kosovo and East Timor, unless the funds were used to bring the troops home. In floor debate, Paul described his amendment as dealing with a "monster" of "careless foreign military interventionism."

Voted YES on H R 3908 Making Emergency Supplemental Appropriations
We Oppose. Money for Foreign Intervention. The fiscal 2000 supplemental appropriations bill provides $13.2 billion for a number of measures, including funding for operations in Kosovo and East Timor ($5 billion), aid to combat drugs in Colombia ($1.7 billion), and Defense Department funding ($4 billion).

Voted NO on On Agreeing to H. Amdt. 612 to H CON RES 290
We Support. 2001 Budget by Conservative -Action Team. Representative John Sununu (R-NH) proposed this substitute budget amendment on behalf of the Conservative Action Team. This amendment would freeze non-defense discretionary spending, increase defense spending, and provide for $270 billion in tax cuts.

Voted YES on H R 3064 District of Columbia Appropriations Act
We Oppose. Labor/HHS/Education Spending. This $317 billion appropriations bill is the main funding measure for the federal welfare state during fiscal 2000. This bill would amount to an increase over the bloated fiscal 1999 appropriation of nearly nine percent. This increase still wasn’t enough for President Clinton; some of his Democratic supporters joined stalwart opponents of the welfare state in voting against the bill.

Voted YES on H R 2 Student Results Act
We Oppose. Federal Education Grants. This legislation would fund Title I spending — which dispenses grants to primary and secondary schools — to the tune of $9.9 billion. This represents a 28 percent increase over fiscal 1999! Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) explained that, "like most federal programs, Title I was launched with the best of intentions, however, good intentions are no excuse for Congress to exceed its constitutional limitations by depriving parents, local communities and states of their rightful authority over education. The Tenth Amendment does not contain an exception for ‘good intentions’!"

https://thenewamerican.com/freedom-index/legislator/h000807/

________

• Voted YES on limiting medical malpractice lawsuits to $250,000 damages. (May 2004)

• Voted YES on capping damages & setting time limits in medical lawsuits. (Mar 2003)

• Voted YES on allowing suing HMOs, but under federal rules & limited award. (Aug 2001)

• Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)

• Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)

• Voted YES on End offshore tax havens (Oct 2004)

• Voted YES on increasing fines for indecent broadcasting. (Feb 2005)

• Voted YES on banning Internet gambling by credit card. (Jun 2003)

• Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)

• Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)

• Voted YES on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration. (Jun 2003)

• Voted NO on maintaining right of habeas corpus in Death Penalty Appeals. (Mar 1996)

• More prisons, more enforcement, effective death penalty. (Sep 1994)

• Voted YES on restricting independent grassroots political committees. (Apr 2006)

https://www.ontheissues.org/in/John_Hostettler.htm