PDA

View Full Version : What 5 functions currently assumed by .Gov would you return to the states?

the biss
04-18-2010, 09:00 PM
With the recent spate of gun legislation that is being carried out on a statewide level, a friend of mine asked my what five functions of government do I think should be returned to the states.

My biggest ones are control of the educational system (as I am a former educator), and of course (as recently legislation has shown) the ability to control intrastate commerce.

Dr. Paul wants to do away with a lot of the acronymed Federal depts like Education, Homeland Security, Commerce, Health & Human Services, and FEMA.

Any thing that sticks out in your ideology?

BuddyRey
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
You mean I only get five? :D

the biss
04-18-2010, 09:11 PM
You mean I only get five? :D

Er... TOP five... How 'bout that?

South Park Fan
04-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I would prefer that they be privatized, but returning them to the state level would be a step forward.

AlexMerced
04-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Education (Destroy the Dept of Education, allow formore education alternatives)
Health (destroy the new healthcare bill, medicare, mediacaid, the FDA)
Drugs (End the War on drugs, dismantle the DEA)

those are the main ones... honestly if you free those up that's the bulk of the major offenses

Then get rid of the Income Tax and Federal Reserve

Get rid of the FDIC and all securities regulation regarding compensation and prudency, and in sets time frame for private securities registrars to formed for private market disclosure and then sell the SEC in pieces to them.

the biss
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Also I would return control of food production back to the states and eliminate the USDA. It's proven time and again that it is a patsy for large agri-business lobbyists and special interest groups.

AlexMerced
04-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Also I would return control of food production back to the states and eliminate the USDA. It's proven time and again that it is a patsy for large agri-business lobbyists and special interest groups.

OH YEAH, dergulating food would fix a WHOLE LOT of problems

the biss
04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I said nothing about deregulation.

the biss
04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Here is an article from everyone's favorite rebel farmer, Joel Salatin, entitled: Everything I Want to Do is Illegal.

http://www.mindfully.org/Farm/2003/Everything-Is-Illegal1esp03.htm

Linus
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
"Interstate commerce" needs to be explicated, articulated, and re-de-limited, yesterday.

Then "general welfare."

Then "unreasonable" (4th amendment).

I'm sure there are a couple other issues close in importance to those, but first we need somehow to have a little "language summit" involving our entire country, since the above phrases, which form the bedrock of crucial American values, seem to have have lost any and all practical legislative purpose, and the ridiculous inertia of their ambiguity has been at the root of several very bad judicial/legislative trends.

We're about to tear each other's throats out because we can't clarify what some pantalooned wig-wearers meant when they wrote our Big Law Thingy, for crying out loud.

RCA
04-19-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=236165

Philhelm
04-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Hmmm...a hard list to make, but I'll give it a shot:

1. Re-enact the Tenth Amendment.
2. Taxation.
3. Health care.
4. Education.
5. Firearms.

mrsat_98
04-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Everything after the second 13th amendment is null and void.

Brett
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
1) Education
2) Income taxing.
3) Economic Regulation
4) Coining money. (Returning since they stole it at the Constitutional convention :P)
5) Any gun related laws.

Daamien
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
4) Coining money. (Returning since they stole it at the Constitutional convention :P)

Definitely my #1.

Carole
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I'll start with these:

Dept. of Education
HEW (Health, Education & Welfare)
CIA
IRS
Homeland Security /FEMA
Federal Reserve :D

tangent4ronpaul
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Since my list would just read like everyone else I'm going to list a few parts of government I would KEEP!

US Coast Guard
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
National Institute of Health (NIH)
Smithsonian Institute
Library of Congress
Peace Corps
U.S. Geological Survey (maps)
Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)

-t

acptulsa
04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Monetarization
Surveillance
Propaganda
Taxation
Legislation.

Not necessarily in that order.

tangent4ronpaul
04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Regulation
Unfunded mandates
Interstate commerce clause
Feds use of National Guard
General welfare clause

acptulsa
04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Feds use of National Guard

Now why the hell didn't I say that? It's so obvious (now that you mention it).

*mutter mutter*

MelissaWV
04-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Monetarization
Surveillance
Propaganda
Taxation
Legislation.

Not necessarily in that order.

I would swap Legislation for something to do with Foreign Policy. The Federal Government does have some role legislating, if we're to keep it at all :p

acptulsa
04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I would swap Legislation for something to do with Foreign Policy. The Federal Government does have some role legislating, if we're to keep it at all :p

The psychos are so out of favor right now that's getting to be a big 'if'. :cool: