PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Battle Tests Old GOP Home: Great Article

radiofriendly
04-18-2010, 08:11 PM
“I came in here tonight wanting to vote for Trey Grayson, but I changed my mind a bit,” Dick Gwinn said after the event. “He sounded to me like a party hack.”

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=news-000003643327

Dick and Sondra Gwinn came to the Marion County Lincoln Day Dinner in Lebanon still undecided about whom to vote for in the Senate primary. The two self-described Glenn Beck enthusiasts said they came to the gathering of 60 or so local Republicans in the hopes of getting a better understanding of the two men.

specsaregood
04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
You shoulda included the closing paragraph of the article:

Dick and Sondra Gwinn said that despite their impressions from the Lebanon Lincoln Day Dinner, they would support Grayson if McConnell came out and asked Republicans to back him.

“If Mitch said I need Trey Grayson in Washington to fix this, that’s it. Because I trust Mitch,” Dick Gwinn said.

“I believe in Mitch McConnell ,” Sondra added.

Now maybe we can stop this talk here on rpfs about people going after mitch.

bew2005
04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
That quote about Mitch is a gut punch. I can't stand the man - he is 90% of what is wrong the Republican party in Kentucky.

I voted for the Democrat in 2008 to unseat McConnell and still smile in reflection.

Cardinal Red
04-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Dick and Sondra Gwinn said that despite their impressions from the Lebanon Lincoln Day Dinner, they would support Grayson if McConnell came out and asked Republicans to back him.

“If Mitch said I need Trey Grayson in Washington to fix this, that’s it. Because I trust Mitch,” Dick Gwinn said.

“I believe in Mitch McConnell ,” Sondra added.

QFT.

This is a bit misleading, because frankly endorsements just don't move that many votes in primaries, but it does point to the power that McConnell has with some voters.

Bottom line is that we need to concentrate our energies on making sure McConnell makes no endorsement in this race-- and making it clear that (win or lose) if he does endorse Grayson, there will be consequences. But at the same time we need to open the door to working with McConnell after the primary, regardless of our feelings. We are here to win a Senate election in 2010. If McConnell stays publicly out of this race, we can work with him after the primary. And there's certainly no need to talk about primarying him unless he stabs us in the back in the final weeks.

DeadheadForPaul
04-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Rand has done a very good job of not being antagonistic toward McConnell when it would be very easy to do so

Perhaps it's because Adams/Rand know that such an action would be political suicide in KY

I hope Rand has talked to McConnell and tried to keep him on the sidelines

Flash
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Rand has done a very good job of not being antagonistic toward McConnell when it would be very easy to do so

Perhaps it's because Adams/Rand know that such an action would be political suicide in KY

I hope Rand has talked to McConnell and tried to keep him on the sidelines

He had a one-on-one chat with McConnell back in November.

phesoge
04-18-2010, 09:55 PM

I was really enjoying the article and then read the bit about if Mitch said whe needed Grayson to fix this theyd back Grayson, and well my heart fell. Does anyone ever ask why Washington needs to be fixed? Wake up people.

Aratus
04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Rand has done a very good job of not being antagonistic
toward McConnell when it would be very easy to do so...

He had a one-on-one chat with McConnell back in November.

my theory is that IF jack conway wants to run against mitch mcconnell in 2014
he has more than ample ability to voice his opines directly to the voters rather
than having another person being a dark horse or a stalking horse or the like!