PDA

View Full Version : Could it be the ERA OF THE THIRD PARTY? (See U.K...)

wgadget
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/uk-election-clegg-clear-winner-in-first-debate-2010-04-16

EXCERPT:

Opinion polls conducted in the immediate wake of the 90-minute debate vindicated Clegg's strategy of presenting the Lib Dems as an alternative to "two old parties who have been playing pass the parcel with your government for 65 years, making the same promises and breaking the same promises, making the same old mistakes again and again."

Zippyjuan
04-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Winning a debate is still a long ways from winning an election but at this point in time, it looks as if neither of the two major parties in Britain will be able to garner enough votes in the upcoming election to form an outright majority so they will likely be forced into forming a coalition government with one of the other parties.

NewFederalist
04-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Unfortunately the LibDems are not all that different from the Tories or Labour. It is heartening, however, that a party that hasn't formed a government since World War I can attract this much support just because the two main parties are held in such contempt.

karat32
04-19-2010, 07:06 AM
libdems are no different then tory/labour on the big issues. UKIP is where it's at.

JohnEngland
04-19-2010, 07:54 AM
libdems are no different then tory/labour on the big issues. UKIP is where it's at.

Agreed. If the Lib Dems are popular it's because they're not the "Conservatives" or Labour.

I'll be voting for UKIP (that's United Kingdom Independence Party) or Libertarian, if either of them have a candidate in my area.

Sadly in Britain, we don't vote for a separate government and legislature. The member of parliament (or congress for Americans) is the only person we vote for. Kinda sucks because one might like their local politician but prefer a different party nationally.

NewFederalist
04-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Agreed. If the Lib Dems are popular it's because they're not the "Conservatives" or Labour.

I'll be voting for UKIP (that's United Kingdom Independence Party) or Libertarian, if either of them have a candidate in my area.

Sadly in Britain, we don't vote for a separate government and legislature. The member of parliament (or congress for Americans) is the only person we vote for. Kinda sucks because one might like their local politician but prefer a different party nationally.

Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. At least you have a real option other than the two main parties. On this side of the pond we don't have a viable third option. BTW, the Libertarians are only fielding 5 candidates for Commons whereas the UKIP has 524 standing so your chances of getting to vote Libertarian are not good this election.