PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Ron Paul 2012

Spider-Man
04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
An important opinion poll for our strategic edification.

We all know Ron Paul will have to have some kind of role in the 2012 presidential race.

What do you think it should be? If you could make Ron Paul follow one of the options in the poll, with a mind to win the White House for liberty, what would it be?

Anti Federalist
04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Option 4.

Realizing that running third party is almost impossible due to ballot access issues after losing another party's nomination.

Still, allowing the possibility, that's what I'd like to see.

Slutter McGee
04-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Actually what I think he should do is threaten an independent run during the primary and then (should he lose) not actually follow through after the primary. This forces the other candidates to become more receptive to our ideas. It negates much of the hostility that might be thrown his way for fear that he might run independent. And should he lose, when he decides not to run, it seen in a positive light rather than a negative.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Pauls' Revere
04-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Option 4.

Realizing that running third party is almost impossible due to ballot access issues after losing another party's nomination.

Me too, I know he has been against running as third party because of the political machine which inhibits or outright bars it. We saw the spin that happened which will likely occur again and again. Still, I think that he should do third party although I know the GOP brand name is there. Personnaly, I think both parties are bad so labelling yourself a Dem or GOP might be stupid in this political anti-government anti-incumbent environment.
I think if it's done right he might pull off a third party bid. I think America is ready for it. The Dems and GOP have terrible track records (especially lately) and a Liberty Party candidate might just be the ticket.

sratiug
04-17-2010, 11:41 PM
You left off the best option, imo. Maybe because it's impossible but I'd like to know for sure. Get on the ballots in all 50 states ( in whatever way, Constitution Party, Libertarian, TEA ) before running for the Republican nomination.

IPSecure
04-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Option 4.

Christina Tobin (http://www.freeandequal.org/) returns to disclose information on a 2012 Ron Paul Presidential bid... Restore The Republic - Reality Report #24

[/URL][url]http://realityreport.blip.tv/file/2730738/ (http://realityreport.blip.tv/file/2730738/)

From what I understand, she says Dr. Paul will be on ballots in all states, regardless of party.

:cool:

nate895
04-17-2010, 11:58 PM
You left off the best option, imo. Maybe because it's impossible but I'd like to know for sure. Get on the ballots in all 50 states ( in whatever way, Constitution Party, Libertarian, TEA ) before running for the Republican nomination.

That would be great, except the fact that it would be literally impossible to do.

low preference guy
04-18-2010, 12:05 AM
The option I want is not available:

Ron Paul should do whatever he wants to do. I'll support him whatever he decides.

fj45lvr
04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
He should go through the GOP campaign period so he can inject "reality" into what passes for "debate" (even though it is a joke). This is free education for the masses.

However, he should just drop his GOP affiliation and take his block of voters to someone else than the NEOCON nominee.....

The GOP has to learn to respect him as the Dems had to deal with NADER splitting their vote.

Constitution party or Libertarian Party.

sratiug
04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
That would be great, except the fact that it would be literally impossible to do.

I'm not doubting that is true, but can you tell me why exactly?

Raditude
04-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Dr. Paul should seek the GOP nomination. If that fails, a 3rd party win is unlikely, though more likely with the Tea Party emerging. I think he should back another Liberty Candidate.

Captain Bryan
04-18-2010, 01:08 AM
I can't decide. I want him to run for the GOP nomination though.

hotbrownsauce
04-18-2010, 01:18 AM
I think Schiff, Paul and others are right and proven themselves right (Schiff and Rand running for the Senate) that we need to work within the two party system. Would Rand have the support and endorsements he has now?

In business we are told the best ideas win the fight. In business if we continue the same idea without adapting to the climate and competition we will run our business into the ground. Why isn't this concept accepted in the political ideological world? Trying to get the third party in the main stream just hasn't and isn't working. I think its time we start new ideas and right now working within the established 2 party system as Ron Paul has been doing seems to be working a hell of a lot better than running as a third party.

sratiug
04-18-2010, 02:12 AM
I think Schiff, Paul and others are right and proven themselves right (Schiff and Rand running for the Senate) that we need to work within the two party system. Would Rand have the support and endorsements he has now?

In business we are told the best ideas win the fight. In business if we continue the same idea without adapting to the climate and competition we will run our business into the ground. Why isn't this concept accepted in the political ideological world? Trying to get the third party in the main stream just hasn't and isn't working. I think its time we start new ideas and right now working within the established 2 party system as Ron Paul has been doing seems to be working a hell of a lot better than running as a third party.

The Republican Party was the new 3rd party when Lincoln was elected. It would only be fitting if it was replaced by a non-interventionist states rights limited government constitutional Jeffersonian such as Ron Paul.

ElCount
04-18-2010, 02:20 AM
I definitely think he should run the same way he did in 2008. As a Libertarian Constitutionalist in the Republican primary. And with all these polls showing up, I believe he can beat Obama so long as the Republican establishment does not blackball him so vehemently again.

Many people (including myself) discovered Ron Paul only because he ran for the Republican Party's Nomination. He did not have a huge following before, but now he does and that is very important. If he decides to run in 2012 he will have the largest existing grassroots' following out of all the Republican candidates.

And as he mentioned before, the media has heavily been pandering to him and his views ever since the election was over. It may be premature and hopeful to say this but it is likely the media will continue to offer him airtime if he does decide to run (albeit to a lesser degree).

I think he will run because he senses the growing frustration with the leadership of both parties and realizes he is more of a viable candidate in 2012 than he was in '08. But I understand if he doesn't because it is very tiring, he'll be 76, and the manifestation of his ideas will only come first through education before politics.

The Third Party route most likely won't happen, he was firmly against it in '08 for good reason. Unless he has billions in the bank he can't win. I think if he does run and doesn't secure the nomination (to the Republican Party's detriment) he should either endorse a third party candidate or the third party movement on principle the way he did in '08. It was disappointing that the third party candidates in '08 did not grab a higher percentage of votes but then again it was a time when everyone was obsessed with Kool Aid.

Free Moral Agent
04-18-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure. Ask again later.

Zack
04-18-2010, 05:04 AM
oops I think picked 3, when I meant to pick 4. Well, they're both good options. What I'm pleasantly suprised to see, is that after 52 votes, ZERO people have picked:

RP should not run. RP should get behind a liberty candidate.

Judging by some of the rhetoric on this very forum in 2009, I would have expected to see this get possibly as much as 20% of the vote. It seems to me that after Ron Paul's massive recent political successes, the liberty movement has solidified behind him once again.

In fact, I'd say that his appeal has even started to extend to the "cocktail party libertarians" that pretended to sophisticated intellectual objections in 2008. They certainly didn't want to be the first on the bandwagon, but many of them don't want to be the last. Heck, even the Reason Hit and Run blog hasn't bashed him in a couple months, through most of his recent headlines.

Spider-Man
04-18-2010, 07:19 AM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that, altogether, something like 85% of voters want him to seek the GOP nomination.

Slutter McGee
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
The option I want is not available:

Ron Paul should do whatever he wants to do. I'll support him whatever he decides.

This statement if fundamentally true and correct, and I agree.....but....it is much more fun to play armchair campaign manager.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

RileyE104
04-18-2010, 10:07 AM
RP should seek the GOP nomination. If he fails, he should run third party.

Definitely Option 4.

This is probably Ron Paul's LAST CHANCE to run for President.

I say we give the Republicans ONE LAST CHANCE ALSO to come around to the message of Liberty. If they choose to do what they did in 2008, then I say WE GIVE THEM HELL FOR IT!! I know Ron doesn't like to go the 3rd Party route because it is hard, but if they don't give Ron the Nomination, then Ron should seek to pull off the most successful 3rd Party run in the history of this country. Ross Perot sent a BIG "F-YOU" to the establishment of this country, Ron Paul can send an even bigger one.

Brett
04-18-2010, 10:15 AM
He should run as an Independent, labeling himself a "Solutionist" or something to that nature. The LP and CP both need to agree not to run candidates to have a chance. Some purists still hate Paul.

RonPaulCult
04-18-2010, 10:24 AM
In 2008, when it was clear that Ron Paul was NOT going to get the nomination, most of us (myself included) were upset he didn't run independent. We wanted to keep the revolution going. And who knows what would have happened.

But in retrospect it was probably the right move on his part. By not running he was able to stay in congress, he was able to remain the highest elected lover of liberty. He has been able to build his movement.

But 2012 will be different. With much hope - his son will be in the senate. We will have at least Rand there to carry on as the voice. And Ron will be at an age where retirement isn't out of the question. If you are going to go out - go out with a BANG. Hopefully he can lock up the nomination in the GOP. But if it fails - go independent. Maybe he'll win - maybe he won't. But go big in 2012. If not then - when?

ChaosControl
04-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Seek nomination.

If fail then run as an independent, the LP nominee, and the CP nominee. Is that possible? So that in some way he is on the ballot in all states?

Spider-Man
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
But 2012 will be different. With much hope - his son will be in the senate. We will have at least Rand there to carry on as the voice. And Ron will be at an age where retirement isn't out of the question. If you are going to go out - go out with a BANG. Hopefully he can lock up the nomination in the GOP. But if it fails - go independent. Maybe he'll win - maybe he won't. But go big in 2012. If not then - when?

+1

KramerDSP
04-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Interesting stuff on Ross Perot:

"At one point in June, Perot led the polls with 39% (versus 31% for Bush and 25% for Clinton). Just prior to the debates, Perot received 7-9% support in nationwide polls.[24] It is likely that the debates played a significant role in his ultimate receipt of 19% of the popular vote. Although his answers during the debates were often general, many Democrats and Republicans conceded that Perot won at least the first debate. In the debate he remarked: "Keep in mind our Constitution predates the Industrial Revolution. Our founders did not know about electricity, the train, telephones, radio, television, automobiles, airplanes, rockets, nuclear weapons, satellites, or space exploration. There's a lot they didn't know about. It would be interesting to see what kind of document they'd draft today. Just keeping it frozen in time won't hack it."[25]

Let's make a deal. No matter what we do, Ron Paul should NEVER be compared to Ross Perot.

Spider-Man
04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
He will be compared to Ross Perot, Ralph Nader, and Howard Dean by all detractors seeking to write him off. That is pretty much inevitable. The key is to be prepared to counter those attacks.

speciallyblend
04-18-2010, 10:42 AM
voted do not let the palin/romney bots win;) option 4

Anti Federalist
04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Interesting stuff on Ross Perot:

"At one point in June, Perot led the polls with 39% (versus 31% for Bush and 25% for Clinton). Just prior to the debates, Perot received 7-9% support in nationwide polls.[24] It is likely that the debates played a significant role in his ultimate receipt of 19% of the popular vote. Although his answers during the debates were often general, many Democrats and Republicans conceded that Perot won at least the first debate. In the debate he remarked: "Keep in mind our Constitution predates the Industrial Revolution. Our founders did not know about electricity, the train, telephones, radio, television, automobiles, airplanes, rockets, nuclear weapons, satellites, or space exploration. There's a lot they didn't know about. It would be interesting to see what kind of document they'd draft today. Just keeping it frozen in time won't hack it."[25]

Let's make a deal. No matter what we do, Ron Paul should NEVER be compared to Ross Perot.

+1

I recall that debate.

And I had been toying with the idea of getting behind Perot, until that remark.

speciallyblend
04-18-2010, 10:48 AM
An important opinion poll for our strategic edification.

We all know Ron Paul will have to have some kind of role in the 2012 presidential race.

What do you think it should be? If you could make Ron Paul follow one of the options in the poll, with a mind to win the White House for liberty, what would it be?

Option 4 was mine;) ,reality is the gop knows who to nominate in 2012 if they want to Win:) Ron Paul 2012. the only ones to blame if Ron Paul runs indy is the gop establishment themselves! the failed gop has cornered themselves and if they cannot figure that out. they do not deserve Ron Paul 2012!!

TC95
04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Definitely Option 4.

This is probably Ron Paul's LAST CHANCE to run for President.

I say we give the Republicans ONE LAST CHANCE ALSO to come around to the message of Liberty. If they choose to do what they did in 2008, then I say WE GIVE THEM HELL FOR IT!! I know Ron doesn't like to go the 3rd Party route because it is hard, but if they don't give Ron the Nomination, then Ron should seek to pull off the most successful 3rd Party run in the history of this country. Ross Perot sent a BIG "F-YOU" to the establishment of this country, Ron Paul can send an even bigger one.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I want him to try to get the GOP nomination, but if that doesn't work then go third party and do his best to win. If he ends up not winning and pulls votes away from the GOP nominee, thus ensuring an Obama win, then so be it. The republicans will get what they deserve. Bye bye, republicans! I will not vote for a neocon again, so vote Ron Paul or have Obama! The choice is yours! :)

Anti Federalist
04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Let's be pragmatic about this as well.

All of it is contingent on Ron's wishes and, very critically, his and Carol's health.

RforRevolution
04-18-2010, 12:42 PM
That's a tough one. Personally, I think he should run no matter what just for the sheer number of people he'll convert. However, I also think he should run third party after the GOP primary, but simply as a referendum to the GOP and as a means of making them lose again by splitting the vote. The blossoming liberty movement cannot afford a setback that another neo-conservative president/candidate would do to it. In fact, four more years of Obama might just be the final blow to the establishment that libertarians need in order to be vindicated and ultimately to win.

Icymudpuppy
04-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I would love to see him run in the GOP primary, along with at least two other liberty GOP candidates like Gary Johnson, and then bow out after the first two debates and give his full support to another liberty candidate who doesn't have the easily attackable newsletters and "Libertarian" candidate background, thus allowing for less polarization.

speciallyblend
04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
blimpin

speciallyblend
04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
almost 85% nice;)