PDA

View Full Version : My first hit-piece

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 02:01 PM
The local newspaper has published in an editorial the first hit-piece on me in the race. It is filled with misrepresentations, blatant omissions, and factual fantasies. I have already written a response, but have asked some local folks to help me polish it first. I'll relay what my response is here once that is done. For now, here is the article:

Glen Bradley who?

GLEN WHO? Bradley, Glen Bradley, First Vice Chairman of the Franklin County GOP, candidate for the District 49 N.C. House seat just vacated by Rep. Lucy Allen reportedly thinks that there are "threats" from federal and state governments and that "Lucy Allen's runaway spending has forced us to cut critical spending."

But now that Allen is no longer in the picture, Bradley needs to start all over again and name the "threats" that he contends we're facing and tell us why we should vote for him.

At the time of this writing, Bradley was running against a phantom candidate, but it looked like the Democrats were going to pick County School board Member John May as their candidate and simply bashing Lucy Allen ain't going to cut it any longer.

On the other hand, if the race for the District 49 House seat between Allen and Bradley was rated as "one to watch" as indicated by the far-right leaning Carolina Journal published by the John Locke Foundation, imagine what a John May/Glen Bradley contest will look like.

Asher Johnson, associate editor, The Franklin Times

jkr
04-17-2010, 02:04 PM
CONgratulaTIONS!

RonPaulCult
04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Wow congrats! A hit piece usually means you are doing something right.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
You know you're over the target when you start taking flak.

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I did notice that it was a rather mild hit-piece -- they had trouble making stuff up effectively -- they took my published YouTube from the speech at the Franklin County Convention for their source. What annoys me is the misrepresentations -- at the time of that speech, Lucy Allen was still a candidate. I have run my entire campaign as a positive campaign about ideas and positive directions which we can take to restore freedom and prosperity. I do not and have not bashed Lucy or anybody, and in the very speech which they cite, I laid out precisely what 'threats' we faced from our governments.

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 02:13 PM
This was the video that he watched to produce the hit-piece:

YouTube - First GOP Stump Speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGohYJD--mI)

hugolp
04-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Glenn if they dont want you there you can come to Europe and run here. :D Ill help you with the campaing.

Aratus
04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
gunny, you have arrived! if they were trying to get under your skin, it means you got noticed! good luck!

speciallyblend
04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
blimpin,

YouTube - Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRgHol94Xc)

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Glenn if they dont want you there you can come to Europe and run here. :D Ill help you with the campaing.

LOL thanks! I appreciate it, though I think I will stick where I'm at for as long as an effort can still be made. ;)

regarding the OP and thread, I have totally retooled my response based on some very good advice, and will share it soon. :)

phill4paul
04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Can't wait to here it Glenn! Good show.

aclove
04-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Wow, Glen, I didn't know Lucy Allen had withdrawn from the race. So you're running for an open seat now? Kickass!

I just wanted to let you know that your NC Healthcare Protection Act and NC Firearms Freedom Act resolutions were adopted by the 9th District GOP today. We also passed one authored by Ken Nelson calling for returning the Census to its constitutionally-limited role of only counting the number of persons living in each district. The only one we didn't get passed was one authored by another Ron Paul supporter calling on the party to only support candidates promising to vote for balanced budgets, and only support incumbents who have never voted for an unbalanced budget. That one was indefinitely postponed, but it forced a Charlotte city councilman to object to it on the grounds that it since the General Assembly and municipalities are already required to pass balanced budgets, it had to be aimed at the current Representative from NC's 9th District, and could prove embarrassing.

Good times!

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow, Glen, I didn't know Lucy Allen had withdrawn from the race. So you're running for an open seat now? Kickass!

Actually, as of Thursday, the Democrat Party appointed a hand-picked candidate to run against me in the form of John May, former Franklin County School Board member. Definitely NOT an open seat. if anything the battle may have gotten more winnable, but will require even MORE of a fight to November.

I just wanted to let you know that your NC Healthcare Protection Act and NC Firearms Freedom Act resolutions were adopted by the 9th District GOP today. We also passed one authored by Ken Nelson calling for returning the Census to its constitutionally-limited role of only counting the number of persons living in each district. The only one we didn't get passed was one authored by another Ron Paul supporter calling on the party to only support candidates promising to vote for balanced budgets, and only support incumbents who have never voted for an unbalanced budget. That one was indefinitely postponed, but it forced a Charlotte city councilman to object to it on the grounds that it since the General Assembly and municipalities are already required to pass balanced budgets, it had to be aimed at the current Representative from NC's 9th District, and could prove embarrassing.

Good times!

Outstanding! One could have countered that if the General Assembly actually abides by the requirement to pass a balanced budget in reality instead of just on paper, then how have we gotten into a debt at the level of State government? ;)

In any case, something is sure heating up here in Franklin County. Halifax County has been great, but soon I will have to focus closer to home...

speciallyblend
04-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Actually, as of Thursday, the Democrat Party appointed a hand-picked candidate to run against me in the form of John May, former Franklin County School Board member. Definitely NOT an open seat. if anything the battle may have gotten more winnable, but will require even MORE of a fight to November.

Outstanding! One could have countered that if the General Assembly actually abides by the requirement to pass a balanced budget in reality instead of just on paper, then how have we gotten into a debt at the level of State government? ;)

In any case, something is sure heating up here in Franklin County. Halifax County has been great, but soon I will have to focus closer to home...

just reading this thread makes me happy:)

aclove
04-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Also thought you might like to know, Glen, that the NCFFA was a huge hit at the Charlotte Tea Party, and we had steady traffic all day signing petitions in support of it. I haven't had the chance to count them, but I know I printed 500 copies in preparation, and I feel like we went through at least half that.

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Also thought you might like to know, Glen, that the NCFFA was a huge hit at the Charlotte Tea Party, and we had steady traffic all day signing petitions in support of it. I haven't had the chance to count them, but I know I printed 500 copies in preparation, and I feel like we went through at least half that.

That's just awesome! the NCFFA resolution was huge here and at our district too. Hoping it will be properly on the agenda this time. I fully expect it will.

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
weird. news. wish we had a really private forum to share this one. it's good news, but weird news... I'll tag all bumpers who I know on a PM with details...

phill4paul
04-17-2010, 08:17 PM
weird. news. wish we had a really private forum to share this one. it's good news, but weird news... I'll tag all bumpers who I know on a PM with details...

Awaiting.:confused:

Vessol
04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
When they ignore you, that's when you have to worry.

You're doing a great job Glen. Feel free to forward any news to me if you wish.

GunnyFreedom
04-17-2010, 08:25 PM
PM's sent

Southron
04-17-2010, 09:25 PM
It does seem kind of negative.

At least this gives you a chance to respond.

Many small town papers have left wing editors.

Even in my Republican dominated Randolph County our newspaper editor is a leftist.

TCE
04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
After studying campaigns for the last 6 years, you need to get them on your side. I can tell you a lot of the upsets in the past few years have been because of the media, at least partly. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting in there and making an appointment with the Editorial Board. Shake their hands, show them you're a real person. Feed them your talking points that they like, but avoid ones they won't. Check who they endorsed in 2008 to tailor your message. What do all of the candidates they endorsed have in common? Pick some of those and get them to help you. If nothing else, a positive appearance showing them you're legitimate can't hurt you.

Rinse and repeat for all of the newspapers, magazines, etc. in your area. Getting in touch with this "Carolina Journal" might really help you since it can work to get all of the Republicans behind you. Since your opponent is now known as a great non-partisan figure, mudslinging won't help you. You can run against Bev Perdue, but now you have an equally versatile candidate. Some Republicans might even back him if they voted for him when he was a school board member. Having run a School Board campaign myself, I can tell you that those are won by going door to door and meeting with people. Since it is a non-partisan office, he may give you trouble with Republicans.

In more positive news, the Republicans now control the Generic Ballot in North Carolina by a few points, which will give you a nice tailwind. http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/04/perdue-back-in-decline.html

You may even want to see how much PPP doing an internal poll for you would cost, since they are North Carolina based.

speciallyblend
04-18-2010, 07:52 AM
After studying campaigns for the last 6 years, you need to get them on your side. I can tell you a lot of the upsets in the past few years have been because of the media, at least partly. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting in there and making an appointment with the Editorial Board. Shake their hands, show them you're a real person. Feed them your talking points that they like, but avoid ones they won't. Check who they endorsed in 2008 to tailor your message. What do all of the candidates they endorsed have in common? Pick some of those and get them to help you. If nothing else, a positive appearance showing them you're legitimate can't hurt you.

Rinse and repeat for all of the newspapers, magazines, etc. in your area. Getting in touch with this "Carolina Journal" might really help you since it can work to get all of the Republicans behind you. Since your opponent is now known as a great non-partisan figure, mudslinging won't help you. You can run against Bev Perdue, but now you have an equally versatile candidate. Some Republicans might even back him if they voted for him when he was a school board member. Having run a School Board campaign myself, I can tell you that those are won by going door to door and meeting with people. Since it is a non-partisan office, he may give you trouble with Republicans.

In more positive news, the Republicans now control the Generic Ballot in North Carolina by a few points, which will give you a nice tailwind. http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/04/perdue-back-in-decline.html

You may even want to see how much PPP doing an internal poll for you would cost, since they are North Carolina based.

^^^^^^^ good advice i would say!

in my community, people either like me or think i am the devil(for wanting us to decrim and legalize marijuana);) fortunately they are in a minority! plus at our gop assembly we had a ron paul republican make the primary ballot with a 16-9(2 votes from outright winning) delegate vote over the well known local republican!! interesting times indeed!!!!

considering i was at the gop meeting and asked everyone to support Kevin Cannell as they entered:) I would say a loud and clear message was sent to our local gop by the GOP delegates to SUPPORT INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY /ACCOUNTABLE GOVERNMENT and a RON PAUL REPUBLICAN for COUNTY SEAT:)

LittleLightShining
04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
I did notice that it was a rather mild hit-piece -- they had trouble making stuff up effectively -- they took my published YouTube from the speech at the Franklin County Convention for their source. What annoys me is the misrepresentations -- at the time of that speech, Lucy Allen was still a candidate. I have run my entire campaign as a positive campaign about ideas and positive directions which we can take to restore freedom and prosperity. I do not and have not bashed Lucy or anybody, and in the very speech which they cite, I laid out precisely what 'threats' we faced from our governments.

Call the reporter. The local paper just did this to me about the Tea Party and I called and read him the riot act. He issued a retraction the next day.

speciallyblend
04-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Call the reporter. The local paper just did this to me about the Tea Party and I called and read him the riot act. He issued a retraction the next day.

he should just write a letter explaining his points!! he can play the game and get more media coverage by writing his own letter!!! or do both;)

this can be to his benefit for sure:)

RCA
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
woopwoop!

Aratus
04-18-2010, 10:49 AM
indeedy, yes ...a very clear, concise, compasionate and polite letter! it will be read by one and all!