PDA

View Full Version : Barbour considering 2012 run

lynnf
04-17-2010, 01:18 PM
at first, I LOL'ed, but read this article and it's not so funny
(there's a poll in the lower right hand corner)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35925.html

Barbour is already being urged to consider a run by some of the GOP’s top donors, say multiple sources inside and outside his camp.

“To the degree that there is an establishment that is still relevant, a lot of those people have said to him, ‘I don’t want to get involved in 2012 until I know what you’re doing,’” one Barbour adviser said.

Further, Barbour has warmed to the possibility in part because the Republican competition for the nomination still is sparse.

“There’s no dominant frontrunner and there’s even debate about who came in second last time,” said Ed Rogers, Barbour’s former lobbying partner and a friend dating back to their work together on President Gerald Ford’s 1976 campaign.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35925_Page2.html#ixzz0lO2WRixq

Anti Federalist
04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
“There’s no dominant frontrunner and there’s even debate about who came in second last time,” said Ed Rogers, Barbour’s former lobbying partner and a friend dating back to their work together on President Gerald Ford’s 1976 campaign.

Well, there's a recipe for success if I ever heard one.:rolleyes:

Kotin
04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
why??!!

BuddyRey
04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Who the heck are these random, unknown competitors coming out of the woodwork to run for President? Hailey Barbour, Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal? I'd never even heard of any of these people until a few months ago. Now CNN is on their jocks 24/7.

itshappening
04-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Who the heck are these random, unknown competitors coming out of the woodwork to run for President? Hailey Barbour, Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal? I'd never even heard of any of these people until a few months ago. Now CNN is on their jocks 24/7.

they're the 'new generation' of bought and paid for, some new faces for them to run in 2012.

If Ron Paul runs they will run loads of these idiots and hope one sticks like last time through tons of free media and shilling from Hannity, Limbaugh and co

lynnf
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM

Barbour isn't new, neither is Pawlenty or Jindal. Pawlenty has even been mentioned in RPF. Jindal is a darling of some because he's young and of recent foreign descent. (didn't help him when he flubbed a stint at response to Obama speech)

something on Barbour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Barbour

Haley Reeves Barbour (born October 22, 1947) is an American politician currently serving as the 63rd Governor of Mississippi. He gained a national spotlight in August 2005 after Mississippi was hit by Hurricane Katrina. Barbour won re-election as Governor in 2007.[1] Under Mississippi's term limits, Barbour cannot run again for Governor in 2011 when his term ends.

Prior to being elected Governor, Barbour worked as a lawyer and lobbyist, was an unsuccessful candidate for the U.S. Senate and also served as Chairman of the Republican National Committee from 1993 to 1997, during which time the Republicans captured both the United States Senate and United States House of Representatives for the first time since 1954. On June 24, 2009, Barbour was elected the new Chairman of the Republican Governors Association, following the resignation of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford as its leader.

Cowlesy
04-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I just feel like we're witnessing yet another slow-motion trainwreck like McCain/Palin '08.

Brett
04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I just feel like we're witnessing yet another slow-motion trainwreck like McCain/Palin '08.

I hardly consider McCain's trainwreck slow :p

Captain Bryan
04-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Jindal dropped out I think.

teamrican1
04-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Barbour is not new. He is extremely well known in the Republican party and there was speculation he might run in 2008 as well.

I would never support him because of his pardon record in Mississippi. He refused to pardon anyone at all for most of his time in office despite the fact there were several cases of completely innocent people (including Corey Maye, who was on death row and is still in prison) and then when he did finally decided to use it, he did it to pardon 5 murders who worked on his house. The man is the worst sort of politician imaginable.

Badger Paul
04-17-2010, 05:19 PM
He can consider all he wants. He's not going to win nor would he make a good president even if he did. He's an operator and a good one. But not a leader.

surf
04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Barbour is not new. He is extremely well known in the Republican party and there was speculation he might run in 2008 as well.

I would never support him because of his pardon record in Mississippi. He refused to pardon anyone at all for most of his time in office despite the fact there were several cases of completely innocent people (including Corey Maye, who was on death row and is still in prison) and then when he did finally decided to use it, he did it to pardon 5 murders who worked on his house. The man is the worst sort of politician imaginable.

oh good, another "tough" guy....

Juan McCain
04-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Mississippi is hardly any sort of model state . . . correct me please if more recent data is much better -
but I think Mississippi is a mess.

In 2004, Mississippi had the lowest personal income per capita among the 50 states ($24,518 per resident).

Among the 50 states, Mississippi has the highest percentage of its total population living in poverty (21.3%)
and the highest percentage of children under 18 living in poverty (30.9%)

In 2005, Mississippi ranked 48th among the 50 states in the percentage of its adults
aged 25 to 64 with at least high school diploma (81.3%).

Mississippi residents have the second highest rate among states for
death from cardiovascular complications for 2000 to 2002 (410 of 100,000) –
-much higher than the national average of 333 per 100,000 residents (Centers for Disease Control)

On the 2005 America’s Health Rankings (United Health Foundation),
Mississippi ranked 50th (last) among the states in overall health.

Mississippi had the 4th highest incarceration rate per capita in 2004
The rate of incarceration in Mississippi has increased substantially during the decade.

Source:http://www.myonlinemaps.com/mississippi.php

Anti Federalist
04-17-2010, 05:38 PM
http://blog.reidreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Haley-Barbour.jpghttp://lewwaters.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/boss_hogg.jpg

ctiger2
04-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Is Barbour a Zionist?