PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from the people

Sematary
10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
As many of you know, I hand out slimjims and other literature fairly often at malls, grocery stores, etc...
Here is what I am learning

1. Hit the war
I ask people first, are you planning on voting in the primaries?
Then I ask them if they would like to end the war in Iraq.
Invariably (90% of the time), they answer yes.
Then I tell them that Ron Paul is their candidate. I tell them that if they REALLY want to put an end to this, then this is the ONLY candidate committed to doing so and that he voted against the war from the beginning and then I tie that into the immigration issue by mentioning that he wants to take our troops from around the globe and secure OUR borders.
This is a big sell with people and I find that most people not only agree with what they are reading on the slimjim, but that they are expressing other things that aren't mentioned and I can give a slight push on those issues as well.
But mainly, concentrate on the war and immigration. They are hot topics with people and RP's platform is made for these people.

hopeforamerica
10-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Great advice! You are so hard working!!!!

Question_Authority
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
As many of you know, I hand out slimjims and other literature fairly often at malls, grocery stores, etc...
Here is what I am learning

1. Hit the war
I ask people first, are you planning on voting in the primaries?
Then I ask them if they would like to end the war in Iraq.
Invariably (90% of the time), they answer yes.
Then I tell them that Ron Paul is their candidate. I tell them that if they REALLY want to put an end to this, then this is the ONLY candidate committed to doing so and that he voted against the war from the beginning and then I tie that into the immigration issue by mentioning that he wants to take our troops from around the globe and secure OUR borders.
This is a big sell with people and I find that most people not only agree with what they are reading on the slimjim, but that they are expressing other things that aren't mentioned and I can give a slight push on those issues as well.
But mainly, concentrate on the war and immigration. They are hot topics with people and RP's platform is made for these people.

Also, try to "read" the person.

If they are young and have that certain "look" I also say "Ron Paul would also like to legalize marijuana and hemp". I have gotten MANY people that say "YEAH!" and get excited about Ron Paul.

If they look like hippies, I mention the Health Freedom Act.

If they are wearing a cross, I might mention the pro-life stance. Etc etc.

If they are middle class, especially upper middle class, I might mention abolishing the IRS. (If they are low income I learned not to mention that because they would miss their Earned Income Tax Credit...I have not found a way to win over poor people with an IRS argument),

Anyone else have ideas like this? Let's share!

wgadget
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Ron Paul: A Man for ALL People

Sematary
10-10-2007, 09:56 AM

If they are young and have that certain "look" I also say "Ron Paul would also like to legalize marijuana and hemp". I have gotten MANY people that say "YEAH!" and get excited about Ron Paul.

If they are middle class, especially upper middle class, I might mention abolishing the IRS. (If they are low income I learned not to mention that because they would miss their Earned Income Tax Credit...I have not found a way to win over poor people with an IRS argument),

Instead of saying "abolish the irs"
Try something a little softer. Most people, as we learned from Anita Andrews, do not want to "abolish" the IRS.
Instead, try more generic terms that will resonate with the "average" voter like:

Taxes should be collected fairly (most people will agree with this)
or...
Taxes should be spent properly.
As she explained - WE are the ten percenters - those who "get it", if you will.
The rest need to be brought along slowly.

noxagol
10-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Abolishing the IRS is second biggest thing for me about Ron Paul, and I am one of those poor people. How is not getting the EIC worse than not being taxed at all?

ksuguy
10-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I kind of like to avoid the war around here. You get a lot more pro war people in Kansas, so I find it is better to stay away from it unless they specifically ask about it. However, I did notice that attitudes are starting to change when I was out at the gunshow over the weekend.

RTsquared
10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Abolishing the IRS is second biggest thing for me about Ron Paul, and I am one of those poor people. How is not getting the EIC worse than not being taxed at all?

I worked as a tax preparer last year. I know I prepared several returns last year where the tax"payer" got every cent of his/her FICA back PLUS $2-3K to boot.

Revolution9
10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I worked as a tax preparer last year. I know I prepared several returns last year where the tax"payer" got every cent of his/her FICA back PLUS $2-3K to boot.

It still sucks. They could have used that money in hand over the year or saved it with interest or invested in gold and had their few ounces rise considerably. Howzabout instead of robbing you and giving some back they just put the robbery schtick away and drop dead..metaphorically speaking..for those who need leading by the nose to understand things in other than a literal sense.

Best
Randy