PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Poll

Spider-Man
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Attached is a brief poll.

Please respond and feel free to discuss.

Thanks.

BuddyRey
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
"I HEARTILY ACCEPT the motto, — 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe, — 'That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have."

---Henry David Thoreau

FreeTraveler
04-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Yep, a Thoreau libertarian can mark all three. :)

The Patriot
04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I marked all three.

Spider-Man
04-16-2010, 05:47 PM
As for myself, I no longer claim to be a libertarian at all.

I agree that "that government is best which governs least," for practical reasons. I do not, however, place prime political importance in the liberty of the individual, although I do consider it valuable. Neither do I believe there is anything inherently immoral about the state, if it could be said I believe in objective standards of morality at all.

The broader question of what to consider myself was part of my reason for posting the poll. I believe I am a minarchist, with certain progressive qualifications when it comes to natural resources. I might be called a constitutionalist, but I feel this term is nearly meaningless out of context.

charrob
04-16-2010, 06:06 PM
-just marked the middle entry.

imo, the state (government) doesn't seem to be inherently immoral; a small, limited government seems optimal.

As for me being libertarian: not sure. The Nolan Chart said I was:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs475.snc3/26051_109855659028060_100000108791083_247274_80011 13_s.jpg

I don't think the Nolan Chart is accurate, so left this option blank.

tremendoustie
04-16-2010, 06:09 PM
I marked the first and third, but thinking about it, I should have marked the second too.

"That gang of robbers is best which robs the least".

Yep, that fits.

BuddyRey
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I marked the first and third, but thinking about it, I should have marked the second too.

"That gang of robbers is best which robs the least".

Yep, that fits.

LOL! Same for me. I marked the first and third, then wished I had selected the second too. Again, Ideally, I don't want to live under the control of any gang, but the gang that mostly leaves me alone and lets me keep all but a small portion of my money is certainly preferable.

charrob
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
The broader question of what to consider myself was part of my reason for posting the poll. I believe I am a minarchist, with certain progressive qualifications when it comes to natural resources. I might be called a constitutionalist, but I feel this term is nearly meaningless out of context.

-just curious, what are your progressive qualifications when it comes to natural resources?

axiomata
04-16-2010, 08:01 PM
-just marked the middle entry.

imo, the state (government) doesn't seem to be inherently immoral; a small, limited government seems optimal.
But the state is not synonymous with government.

QueenB4Liberty
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
I choose all three.

Brett
04-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I left out that the state is inherently immoral.