PDA

View Full Version : Greatest President of all time?

Michael Landon
04-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I was asked, via facebook, the following questions and I was wondering how the RonPaulForums members would answer these....

Here are the questions:

Question of the day...3 parts - Who was the greatest president of all time ? And would he be a great leader today ? Why can't we vote for a woman... To lead our Country ?

Thanks for you replies.

- ML

Also, I just noticed that this is my 400th post.

Todd
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I think there are a ton of threads on this similar question here. Maybe somebody knows where to find it.

Jack Bauer
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Thomas Jefferson - the only two-term president never to have used veto powers, the principal author of the Declaration of Independence, a champion of the ideals of republicanism and an intellectual giant.

When President John F. Kennedy welcomed 49 Nobel Prize winners to the White House in 1962 he said, "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

RCA
04-16-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=224374&highlight=libertarian+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179834&highlight=favorite+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=150334&highlight=favorite+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=146781&highlight=favorite+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=134147&highlight=favorite+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=70058&highlight=favorite+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=66449&highlight=favorite+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179819&highlight=best+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179751&highlight=best+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=193248&highlight=best+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=201292&highlight=best+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=127989&highlight=best+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=70058&highlight=best+president

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=179819&highlight=greatest+president

A Son of Liberty
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Thomas Jefferson - the only two-term president never to have used veto powers, the principal author of the Declaration of Independence, a champion of the ideals of republicanism and an intellectual giant.

When President John F. Kennedy welcomed 49 Nobel Prize winners to the White House in 1962 he said, "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

I've never heard this quote before, but I love it.

Galileo Galilei
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
James Madison was our greatest president. He is the only president to follow the Constitution during a time of war.

It is easy for the president to follow the Constitution during peacetime. But most liberty is lost during war.

James Madison set a precedent for all future presidents to never violate the Constitution, even if our nation is being invaded by a giant empire. We can can still prevail.

M House
04-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I thought James Madison was pretty cool for that as well.

TCE
04-16-2010, 01:14 PM
None were great, but they were some above average ones. Andrew Jackson was cool for single-handedly taking down the Second Bank with most of the Congress against him. Grover Cleveland I am pretty sure had less than 5 Executive Orders and he was a defender of freedom on some levels.

The absolutely terrible: FDR, Theodore Roosevelt, Hoover (for unofficially starting the New Deal with bailouts and regulations), George W. Bush, Lyndon Johnson, Abraham Lincoln, Richard Nixon, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman.

GG: Madison also created the Second Bank.

nate895
04-16-2010, 01:20 PM
None were great, but they were some above average ones. Andrew Jackson was cool for single-handedly taking down the Second Bank with most of the Congress against him. Grover Cleveland I am pretty sure had less than 5 Executive Orders and he was a defender of freedom on some levels.

Not to mention being willing to fight a duel anytime, anywhere. Then, in his late sixties, and disease-ridden (he had chronic dysentery from the time of the Florida campaign), he beat a would-be assassin within an inch of his life with a walking stick. That's a man you have to respect.

Galileo Galilei
04-16-2010, 01:39 PM
GG: Madison also created the Second Bank.

Madison eliminated the 1st bank. He also strategically had the bank gone during the entire war of 1812, which is a huge feat in itself, as the 12th congress was elected by a pro-war populace.

Madison also vetoed the 2nd national bank bill in January of 1815. This is another amazing feat, in that he did it before he knew about the battle of New Orleans or the Treaty of Ghent. Madison was the first president to veto a national bank, thereby setting a limit and a precedent on what a national bank is allowed to do.

Remember, George Washington set a precedent when he signed the first bank bill. (please note that neither bank bill would have been passed had we not had war debts for the cost of gaining our independence)

Madison made sure that the national banks power was limited to the precedent established, which is another easy way to prove the Fed today is unconstitutional.

Madison also had a very important part in getting rid of the 2nd bank.

After the War of 1812, we established free trade on the Great Lakes, Atlantic ocean, Mississippi River, West Indies, and the Mediterranean Sea.

This lead to the greatest economic boom in world history beyond even Madison's imagination. Unfortunately, all the new wealth led to corruption in the bank, but fortunately allowed the war debts to be paid off earlier than the projected 20 years of the temporaty bank.

Andrew Jackson's closest associate was his personal secretary Nicholas Trist (1828-1834). Trist was the grandson of Mary House, Madison had stayed at House's house in Philadelphia whenever Madison went there, including the Constitutional Convention.

Trist was a true believer in James Madison. He lived, breathed and read James Maidosn all his life. His entire life was devoted to James Madiosn and promoting his ideas and legacy.

Trist, hence, was involved in all of Jackson's decisions as president as Jackson made little use of his cabinet.

In 1832, Andrew Jackson went down to Virginia to visit Madison. At that time, both agreed to get rid of the bank. Jackson was worried that Madison might oppose that, since Madison had sihned the bank bill in 1817. But to Jackson's surprise, Madison agreed to get rid of ther bank as it was no longer needed. If Madison had opposed Jackson, Jackson would not have succeeded in getting rid of the bank.

To this day the bank hasn't been needed. The federal govermnet has had plenty of money of function since the 1820s, and no essential debts since the 1830s.

The key to ending the Fed lays with understanding George Washington and James Madison. If you don't understand what these people really believed, the neocons will prevail.

Daamien
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM
They all had their flaws. I like Jefferson and Madison's presidencies though.

Old Ducker
04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
William Henry Harrison by a mile.

Zippyjuan
04-16-2010, 02:02 PM

If not using the veto is a sign of a great president, you must include GW Bush on your list. It was not until late in his second term he learned how to do it. He was one of only five presidents to not veto a bill in a complete first term. Obama has only vetoed one bill so far (that was a pocket veto where he refused to sign the legislation).

And actually Jefferson was not the only president not to use the veto.

Fewest presidential vetoes: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, James A. Garfield (0)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_vetoes

Veto can show willingness to not just accept whatever Congress gives them.

Yukon Cornelius
04-16-2010, 02:14 PM
william henry harrison by a mile.

lol...

+1

RM918
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
1. Madison.

2. Absolutely.

3. Election laws. You actually COULD have voted for a woman in '08 (Cynthia McKinney), but you probably were so engrossed with wanting your 'team' to 'win' that you didn't care.

BuddyRey
04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
William Henry Harrison by a mile.

Thirty-day term limit FTW!

doctor jones
04-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Read about John Tyler, in my opinion the best president ever and the only one to actually honor treaties with the Indians when it still mattered.

mconder
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Thomas Jefferson - As ideologically pure as any politician can be.

Andrew Jackson - Stuck his finger in the eyes of the world money interests and lived.

TroySmith
04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Coolidge
Jefferson
Jackson

Promontorium
04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I always list Andrew Jackson as my favorite, for many reasons. But I don't think he was close to the "greatest". Jefferson would be up there for me. I have no #1 right now.

nate895
04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Andrew Jackson - Stuck his finger in the eyes of the world money interests and lived.

While sounding like a bag of marbles, being made of more lead than flesh.

BuddyRey
04-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd admire Jackson a whole lot more if he hadn't helped enslave and kill off my people with the whole Trail of Tears fiasco.

noxagol
04-16-2010, 03:19 PM
William Henry Harrison was by far the best president. He did what all presidents that we have had should do: he dropped dead after a month in office.

Jeros
04-16-2010, 03:22 PM
great president = oxymoron

mczerone
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Greatest Prez? Ron Paul!

paulitics
04-16-2010, 04:01 PM
The ones you never heard of are.

paulitics
04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Madison eliminated the 1st bank. He also strategically had the bank gone during the entire war of 1812, which is a huge feat in itself, as the 12th congress was elected by a pro-war populace.

Madison also vetoed the 2nd national bank bill in January of 1815. This is another amazing feat, in that he did it before he knew about the battle of New Orleans or the Treaty of Ghent. Madison was the first president to veto a national bank, thereby setting a limit and a precedent on what a national bank is allowed to do.

Remember, George Washington set a precedent when he signed the first bank bill. (please note that neither bank bill would have been passed had we not had war debts for the cost of gaining our independence)

Madison made sure that the national banks power was limited to the precedent established, which is another easy way to prove the Fed today is unconstitutional.

Madison also had a very important part in getting rid of the 2nd bank.

After the War of 1812, we established free trade on the Great Lakes, Atlantic ocean, Mississippi River, West Indies, and the Mediterranean Sea.

This lead to the greatest economic boom in world history beyond even Madison's imagination. Unfortunately, all the new wealth led to corruption in the bank, but fortunately allowed the war debts to be paid off earlier than the projected 20 years of the temporaty bank.

Andrew Jackson's closest associate was his personal secretary Nicholas Trist (1828-1834). Trist was the grandson of Mary House, Madison had stayed at House's house in Philadelphia whenever Madison went there, including the Constitutional Convention.

Trist was a true believer in James Madison. He lived, breathed and read James Maidosn all his life. His entire life was devoted to James Madiosn and promoting his ideas and legacy.

Trist, hence, was involved in all of Jackson's decisions as president as Jackson made little use of his cabinet.

In 1832, Andrew Jackson went down to Virginia to visit Madison. At that time, both agreed to get rid of the bank. Jackson was worried that Madison might oppose that, since Madison had sihned the bank bill in 1817. But to Jackson's surprise, Madison agreed to get rid of ther bank as it was no longer needed. If Madison had opposed Jackson, Jackson would not have succeeded in getting rid of the bank.

To this day the bank hasn't been needed. The federal govermnet has had plenty of money of function since the 1820s, and no essential debts since the 1830s.

The key to ending the Fed lays with understanding George Washington and James Madison. If you don't understand what these people really believed, the neocons will prevail.

Thank you for this knowledgeable post. Is there a good book on this stuff ?

doctor jones
04-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Read about John Tyler, in my opinion the best president ever and the only one to actually honor treaties with the Indians when it still mattered.

Tyler exercised restraint in dealing with an internal rebellion, a bloody Indian war, and a boundary dispute with Canada.

Tyler supported a sound policy of limiting the growth of the money supply, and generally opposed high tariffs, a national bank, and federal welfare to the states.

Tyler favored limited government but fought members of his own party on this principle—thereby torpedoing his chances for a second term.

He's pretty much everything you could ask for in a president.

doctor jones
04-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Recarving Rushmore by Ivan Eland is the best reading on American Presidents I've found.

BamaFanNKy
04-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Seriously guys? This is no competition, Duane Alazando Camacho:
YouTube - President Camacho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnve-2iyRgM)

nate895
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Why isn't Jackson getting the respect he deserves for, while in a duel over his wife's honor, getting shot within an inch of his heart, then getting up and killing the man who shot him? I know I'd be surrendering and calling every ambulance for miles around.

BamaFanNKy
04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Why isn't Jackson getting the respect he deserves for, while in a duel over his wife's honor, getting shot within an inch of his heart, then getting up and killing the man who shot him? I know I'd be surrendering and calling every ambulance for miles around.

What did an ambulance look like back then?

nate895
04-16-2010, 04:20 PM
What did an ambulance look like back then?

Horse and carriage with a red cross on it.

BamaFanNKy
04-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Horse and carriage with a red cross on it.

Damn!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3473230300_1c044be14a.jpg
YouTube - public enemy - 911 is a joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-ldcnhsLY)

nate895
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Damn!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3473230300_1c044be14a.jpg
YouTube - public enemy - 911 is a joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-ldcnhsLY)

Never question my knowledge of history.

BamaFanNKy
04-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Never question my knowledge of history.

So how did you "call" them?

nate895
04-16-2010, 04:36 PM

The verb "to call" has a lot of meanings. To call them back then would be to either yell for them, or simply to tell someone else to go find one.

BamaFanNKy
04-16-2010, 04:37 PM
The verb "to call" has a lot of meanings. To call them back then would be to either yell for them, or simply to tell someone else to go find one.

Just clarifying.

The Patriot
04-16-2010, 04:56 PM
1.Grover Cleveland
2.Warren Harding
3.Calvin Coolidge
4.James K. Polk

Ricky201
04-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Trail of Tears probably doesn't work in Jackson's favor. Fiscally though he was one of the best presidents we've ever had. John Tyler was probably the least oppressive president America has had (as far as someone that served close to a full term or more). Therefore, he probably is the best president we've ever had. I think Harding was the best president in the past 100 years though.

moonshineplease
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Use the windmill phone.

jkr
04-16-2010, 06:10 PM

"indians"

haaaylee
04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd admire Jackson a whole lot more if he hadn't helped enslave and kill off my people with the whole Trail of Tears fiasco.

This.

AlexMerced
04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
How about Walter Van Buren?

Shotdown1027
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM

It might be because of the widespread genocide he engaged in.

Shotdown1027
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
How about Walter Van Buren?

Is that the kid brother of Martin van Buren? lol.

Martin van Buren and John Tyler were by far the best. Warren Harding places third, Grover Cleveland fourth, Calvin Coolidge fifth.

AlexMerced
04-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Is that the kid brother of Martin van Buren? lol.

Martin van Buren and John Tyler were by far the best. Warren Harding places third, Grover Cleveland fourth, Calvin Coolidge fifth.

yeah, that's who I meant, Calvin Coolidge rocks the hizzouse

Galileo Galilei
04-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Not all in one book. I have dozens of books on James Madison.

James Madison by Ralph Ketchum is a great book and is easy to find. Read it, and your opinion of Madison will change permanently.

BuddyRey
04-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Not all in one book. I have dozens of books on James Madison.

James Madison by Ralph Ketchum is a great book and is easy to find. Read it, and your opinion of Madison will change permanently.

I was listening to a Tom Woods lecture last night and he mentioned Reassessing the Presidency, published by the Ludwig Von Mises Institute, as a great volume on the subject. Has anyone here read it? It sounded great!

low preference guy
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM
If Ron Paul is elected, he will be the best of all time.

Galileo Galilei
04-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Tyler exercised restraint in dealing with an internal rebellion, a bloody Indian war, and a boundary dispute with Canada.

Tyler supported a sound policy of limiting the growth of the money supply, and generally opposed high tariffs, a national bank, and federal welfare to the states.

Tyler favored limited government but fought members of his own party on this principle—thereby torpedoing his chances for a second term.

He's pretty much everything you could ask for in a president.

I agree that Tyler was an excellent president. Tyler specifically stated that he modeled his policies and ideas after James Madison. And that included vetoing bills that would have established a national bank.

Tyler viewed the early banks as a temporary measure to get the new nation on its feet and independent of world bullies like Great Britain.