PDA

View Full Version : How Police Can Profit by Seizing Private Property

Anti Federalist
04-15-2010, 11:01 AM
How Police Can Profit by Seizing Private Property

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-asset-forfeiture-story,0,5910144.story

Harris County seized $12.5 million in private property in 2009 by using the civil forfeiture law, which allows assets used in criminal activity to be taken. One man is fed up now that his property is being seized even though he didn't commit the crime.

Jason Volentine KIAH

9:52 PM CDT, April 14, 2010

What if police took your property because someone else used it to commit a crime?

It may sound strange, but it can actually happen. It's called civil forfeiture and Harris County makes millions doing it.

Zaher A El-Ali sold a 2004 pickup to a man who was making payments. But when the man got a felony DWI in 2009 and could no longer pay, Harris County told Ali it would be keeping the truck rather than returning it to Ali.

"This law here is wrong. What they did to take my truck is wrong," said Ali.

Ali is named in the county's lawsuit to seize the truck which Ali still holds the title to. Harris County said it is seizing it because it was used to commit felony DWI.

"Whatever it is, he did it, not the truck. The truck does not drink," said Ali.

The truck is still in the impound lot and it will stay there. But Karen Morris with the Harris County D.A.'s office said that Ali, like any title holder, will eventually get the money he was still owed from the county.

"Lien holder's rights are absolutely protected," said Morris.

But Ali won't get the truck because Texas has the right to seize an asset used to commit a felony. Then, the county can sell it to help fund law enforcement and the courts. It's a technique used across the country.

"Most crimes are done for profit. Narcotics trafficking: profit. Gun running: profit. Human trafficking: profit. One way to try to combat that is to remove the profit," said Morris.

But a group called the Institute for Justice fights against civil forfeiture, calling it policing for profit. The group is helping Ali fight his case, arguing that it's abuse of power that someone doesn't have to be convicted, or even charged with a crime to have their assets seized in civil court.

Last year, Harris County seized $12.5 million. The average per year is about $7 million. But Morris said it's hardly an abuse of power.

"I think it's a misunderstanding the public has that… if a police officer stops a car and there's $30,000 in it that they just get to go spend $30,000," said Morris. "All that's overseen by a judge who makes sure there are checks and balances."

(Never once is it addressed if that person did something wrong. They just take it, while a judge watches. - AF)

But Ali still feels it's wrong he must deal with a court to argue over his own property.

"I wind up paying [a] good sum of money for something I didn't do," he said.

All states allow civil forfeiture and all but Maine let the police keep part of the profits.

In Harris County the police keep 70 percent of the seized property.

Krugerrand
04-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Similar to municipalities profiting from traffic violations - it encourages bad laws hoping people will break them.

Law enforcement should NEVER profit from application of the law. It's a huge moral hazard.

Paulitical Correctness
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Reminds me of this 'ole story..
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/FedCrimes/story?id=4656671&page=1

Krugerrand
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM

sad sad sad. And people wonder why the cops don't want to legalize drugs.

amy31416
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM

Amazing, isn't it, that possessing too much government-issued money can be enough cause for suspicion to send people to jail and seize all their assets?

fisharmor
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
"Most crimes are done for profit. Narcotics trafficking: profit. Gun running: profit. Human trafficking: profit.

The moral of the story: Law enforcement doesn't want you to make a profit.

tmosley
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM
The other moral: police are thieves. All of them. Until this practice is overturned.

Judges who participate in such things are also thieves.

DapperDan
04-15-2010, 12:17 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/041/084/original/why_we_cant_have_nice_things.jpg?1266844799

*thumbs down*

dean.engelhardt
04-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Asset forfeiture laws are in every state and used at the federal level. They are clearly against the constitution. Law enforcement has the authority to take private property without the benefit of a trial judged by your peers. In some case, property is taken with no charges being filed.

There are two reasons this is tolerated. First, is it supports the war on drugs which remains politically popular. Second, law enforcement has been careful not to over abuse it; killing the goose that lays the golden egg. This is another example of us giving up our rights.

Barackistan
04-15-2010, 03:26 PM
My car was taken by the state because my father has over $3000 in unpaid parking tickets on a different car.

The state says because the title is under my name and his name (since he bought the car for me for college) that it is justified that the state take my car. Now I take the bus to school.

I couldn't get my car back because my dad now lives in a different state and I'm a poor college student. Even if I did have the funds to retain my car, I was told the state would sell it for parts if I did not pony up $3000 within a week.

The state always relies on its draconian laws to profit.

If there was only some way to get an allodial title...

Rael
04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
If everyone filled pro se lawsuits over these types of incidents, it would quickly become unprofitable.

phill4paul
04-15-2010, 05:48 PM
The moral of the story: Law enforcement doesn't want you to make a profit.

Naw. LE doesn't care if you make a profit. Ya just gotta pay for the privilege. Kinda like the mob. Except they are sanctioned by the state.