PDA

View Full Version : With 1 in 5 Americans out of work, Obama issues over 1 Million green cards

bobbyw24
04-15-2010, 09:02 AM
The Department of Homeland Security has just reported that during 2009, they issued 1,130,818 new Green Cards to foreign nationals, allowing them to work legally in this country. That number represents the fourth highest number of cards issued in one year.

750,000 of the new Green Cards were given to the families of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.

The top four recipient nations are as follows:

-Mexico…164,920
-China…receiving 64,238
-Philippines…60,029
-India…57,304

In Feb. 2009, the financial institution Merrill Lynch announced that the nation’s actual unemployment rate had reached 13.9 percent. A year later, that number had risen to 17.3 percent. This figure represents Americans who have been laid off from full-time positions and are now working part-time, as well as those who have simply stopped looking for work, and workers whose unemployment benefits have run out.

http://www.examiner.com/x-35821-Immigration-Reform-Examiner~y2010m4d11-With-1-in-5-Americans-out-of-work-Obama-issues-over-a-million-green-cards

erowe1
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
What's this supposed to be implying? That somehow there's a finite number of jobs out there for people to do and by issuing green cards it will leave fewer jobs available for people who are already here?

bobbyw24
04-15-2010, 09:08 AM
What's this supposed to be implying? That somehow there's a finite number of jobs out there for people to do and by issuing green cards it will leave fewer jobs available for people who are already here?

Whatever you're inferring

torchbearer
04-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Whatever you're inferring

more people create more opportunities for jobs also.
more consumers requires more supply, requires more work, which requires more jobs.
also, more people bring about more chances of small businesses popping up too.

bruce leeroy
04-15-2010, 09:20 AM

that seems to make sense to me

belian78
04-15-2010, 09:23 AM
also, more people bring about more chances of small businesses popping up too.

only if foreign nationals who start businesses hired outside their families. which in my experience, a vast majority dont.

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 09:37 AM
The Department of Homeland Security has just reported that during 2009, they issued 1,130,818 new Green Cards to foreign nationals, allowing them to work legally in this country. That number represents the fourth highest number of cards issued in one year.

750,000 of the new Green Cards were given to the families of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.

-Mexico…164,920
-China…receiving 64,238
-Philippines…60,029
-India…57,304

In Feb. 2009, the financial institution Merrill Lynch announced that the nation’s actual unemployment rate had reached 13.9 percent. A year later, that number had risen to 17.3 percent. This figure represents Americans who have been laid off from full-time positions and are now working part-time, as well as those who have simply stopped looking for work, and workers whose unemployment benefits have run out.

http://www.examiner.com/x-35821-Immigration-Reform-Examiner~y2010m4d11-With-1-in-5-Americans-out-of-work-Obama-issues-over-a-million-green-cards

Amnesty is right around the corner. A whole new voting block to keep the Dems in power indefinitely.

bobbyw24
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Amnesty is right around the corner. A whole new voting block to keep the Dems in power indefinitely.

That's right.

Jorge Bush and Juan McCain were trying to kill the GOP with Amnesty. The GOP gets cheap, unskilled labor for the businesses its big wigs own and the Dems get millions of voters.

Cinderella
04-15-2010, 09:47 AM
That's right.

Jorge Bush and Juan McCain were trying to kill the GOP with Amnesty. The GOP gets cheap, unskilled labor for the businesses its big wigs own and the Dems get millions of voters.

coming from a hispanic home i dont believe theyd be voting dem. alot of hispanics have conservative views. I actually called and spoke to my local talk radio today about this. He was saying that a black conservative gets called an uncle tom etc because people think that to be a conservative means you are some rich old white man. My family grew up dirt poor all my childhood. we lived in fl, where at the time, was a horrible place to find work. we came back to mass and my mother went back to school...2 weeks ago she defended her disertation and now she is a Doctor! and to top that, shes the only hispanic woman in her field to have reached a doctorate in all of the state!! my point is, is that even when we were dirt poor my family always held a true conservative view. They knew what it was like to live in another country that was caked with corruption. they value the idea of limited government, small or no intervention in financial matters, social matters (religious),strong individual rights, stronger states rights, no welfare government. GoP nowadays isnt conservative anymore since it has hijacked religion to limit individual rights. A true conservative would neither opress a person because or their religion or opress a person for not being religious. A true conservative also wouldn't subsidize science, industries, agriculture, people in general, education etc. True Conservatism is a rare breed nowadays, and I wish it was more prevalent!!

charrob
04-15-2010, 09:47 AM

-Mexico…164,920
-China…receiving 64,238
-Philippines…60,029
-India…57,304

you post some really good articles bobbyw24 (thank you): this is a real wakeup call.

bobbyw24
04-15-2010, 09:49 AM
coming from a hispanic home i dont believe theyd be voting dem. alot of hispanics have conservative views. I actually called and spoke to my local talk radio today about this. He was saying that a black conservative gets called an uncle tom etc because people think that to be a conservative means you are some rich old white man. My family grew up dirt poor all my childhood. we lived in fl, where at the time, was a horrible place to find work. we came back to mass and my mother went back to school...2 weeks ago she defended her disertation and now she is a Doctor! and to top that, shes the only hispanic woman in her field to have reached a doctorate in all of the state!! my point is, is that even when we were dirt poor my family always held a true conservative view. They knew what it was like to live in another country that was caked with corruption. they value the idea of limited government, small or no intervention in financial matters, social matters (religious),strong individual rights, stronger states rights, no welfare government. GoP nowadays isnt conservative anymore since it has hijacked religion to limit individual rights. A true conservative would neither opress a person because or their religion or opress a person for not being religious. A true conservative also wouldn't subsidize science, industries, agriculture, people in general, education etc. True Conservatism is a rare breed nowadays, and I wish it was more prevalent!!

I was not basing my assumption that they will vote Dem because they are Hispanic, but rather on the fact that they will probably be poor-and low income people by and large vote Dem.

bruce leeroy
04-15-2010, 09:53 AM
only if foreign nationals who start businesses hired outside their families. which in my experience, a vast majority dont.

good point
here in the dallas fort worth area I've only seen one pakistani/indian convenience store that hired someone outside their family
a lot of the mexican and mexi-american auto shops and construction crews will hire outside their families, but generally only hire other mexicans and mexi-americans

Cinderella
I was not basing my assumption that they will vote Dem because they are Hispanic, but rather on the fact that they will probably be poor-and low income people by and large vote Dem.

poor and low income does not mean a vote for a dem...that was the point i was making when i told you my history and that even through the times of poverty and lack of education my family was always conservative.

bobbyw24
you post some really good articles bobbyw24 (thank you): this is a real wakeup call.

Thanks, charrob. I know immigration is a touchy subject with libertarians who are usually open borders types and care for much diversity of opinion on the topic.

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM

There is a very large element to the latino population that is very militant about this:

La Raza
Mecha
MALDEF
Atzlan

They are known to cause violent disruptions on college campus's when border security advocates are invited to speak.

YouTube - Chris Simcox Speaks at MSU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAtUz7JM7TI)

bobbyw24
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Looks like those fine demonstrators at MSU were celebrating diversity of opinion. Nice

charrob
04-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks, charrob. I know immigration is a touchy subject with libertarians who are usually open borders types and care for much diversity of opinion on the topic.

alot here may not remember growing up in the 50's and 60's when the country had half the population it has now. i do. and, imo, the change is startling. imo with each increase in population there is an equivalent decrease in standard of living. -but that's just me.

i'm not alluding to material wealth here but, rather, the peace, and affinity with nature, that comes with miles and miles of open fields which are now replaced with miles and miles of paved concrete.

the population increase is not due to Americans having children since American couples, on average, have around 1.2 children per couple (not even replacement rate); therefore the entire growth in population has totally come from immigration.

i, personally, would close the borders to both legal and illegal immigration. -but that's just me.

bruce leeroy
04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
most mexi-americans that I know here in Tx are pretty apolitical
I read somewhere last year that they have the lowest voter turnout of any demographic.
what is funny as hell though is that you go to a bar and you overhear three brown skinned black haired dudes named ricardo, julio, and jorge talkin about "we gotta do somethin about all these damn mexicans comin over here"

Cinderella
04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
USA Under Attack, containing the following quotes from Chris Simcox:

I feel that the people that are coming across, invading this country, I think that they should be treated as enemies of the state. We need to putting them in work camps. Anyone could walk through these borders of this country bringing bombs, chemicals, weapons of mass destruction. I think they should be shot on sight, personally.

Those guys [D.C. politicians] need to be, you know, lynched. If we're attacked again, then we need some vigilanteism. Then we need some going into Washington, pulling them out of their offices, kicking them out of office. We need revolution.

And then there was his Minuteman compatriot in this video, Craig Howard:

No, we ought to be able to shoot the Mexicans on sight, and that would end the problem. After two or three Mexicxans are shot, they'll stop crossing the border and they'll take their cows home, too

Wasnt he challenging John Mccain in the Arizona 2010 GOP primary?

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
USA Under Attack, containing the following quotes from Chris Simcox:

I feel that the people that are coming across, invading this country, I think that they should be treated as enemies of the state. We need to putting them in work camps. Anyone could walk through these borders of this country bringing bombs, chemicals, weapons of mass destruction. I think they should be shot on sight, personally.

Those guys [D.C. politicians] need to be, you know, lynched. If we're attacked again, then we need some vigilanteism. Then we need some going into Washington, pulling them out of their offices, kicking them out of office. We need revolution.

No, we ought to be able to shoot the Mexicans on sight, and that would end the problem. After two or three Mexicxans are shot, they'll stop crossing the border and they'll take their cows home, too

Wasnt he challenging John Mccain in the Arizona 2010 GOP primary?

Source?

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I know Chris Simcox. He is misquoted and taken out of context constantly. Provide a legitimate source and I will denounce everything he is quoted to have said in your post.

puppetmaster
04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
The real question here would be how many of these were subsidized with our money or will be subsidized? I am sure many are parasites and I know certain programs that pay substantial amounts of money to immigrants.

Cinderella
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Nikolaj Vijborg's documentary film USA Under Attack. (Quote appears to be a single audio take heard as an overdub)

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Nikolaj Vijborg's documentary film USA Under Attack. (Quote appears to be a single audio take heard as an overdub)

If that is the case then, with all due respect, I don't find the source to be legitimate.

Cinderella
04-15-2010, 10:25 AM
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/minuteman-chris-simcoxs-past-will-ha

heres some video

erowe1
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not big on this issue, personally.

But for those who are, if you're not a John Hostettler supporter already, you should be. One of the issues where he differs from RP is that he's bigger on border defense and decreasing immigration.
http://teamamericapac.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=77&cntnt01detailtemplate=default-news-detail&cntnt01returnid=15
http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusablog/beckr/february-16-2010/best-bayh-repalcement-immigration-maybe-dem-over-gop-candidate-coats

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM

heres some video

I'll check it out.

MelissaWV
04-15-2010, 10:39 AM
good point
here in the dallas fort worth area I've only seen one pakistani/indian convenience store that hired someone outside their family
a lot of the mexican and mexi-american auto shops and construction crews will hire outside their families, but generally only hire other mexicans and mexi-americans

Even though it's generally not as great a community happening as, say, someone moving an estabilshed, large business to the US and having to staff it at every level... these family-owned businesses still have to buy materials and rent out real estate. There is money spreading around if this is done.

Those green cards, though, probably did not come with many strings attached. "Diversity" is more important than whether or not the person coming in will really be a contributor.

As for three guys named Julio, Jorge, and whatever sitting at a bar talking about not letting so many Mexicans in... did it occur to you they might be legal immigrants, talking about illegals simply sneaking across? Immigration is not an easy process to go through. It stinks when you work very hard to do things right, and then someone next to you does things the easy way, and the people you worked so hard to join don't bother to see the difference at all.

bobbyw24
04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Hispanics

66% of Hispanic voters turned out for Obama - the best ever result for a Democrat.

McCain only took 31% of the Hispanic vote, despite courting them heavily in his campaign.

Obama used techniques such as Spanish-language adverts to win the Hispanic voters over, many of whom had grown disgruntled with the Bush administration.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1083335/Breakdown-demographics-reveals-black-voters-swept-Obama-White-House.html#ixzz0lBhoh4Kx

Cinderella
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
or maybe theyre being pushed to vote democrt more so now then before

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/29/gop-hispanic-strategists_n_209240.html

erowe1
04-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't get what their voting Democrat has to do with anything, unless we maintain some mythological vision of what the GOP is.

MelissaWV
04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't get what their voting Democrat has to do with anything, unless we maintain some mythological vision of what the GOP is.

The idea is that if Obama "imports" enough supporters, he and the Democrats can continue to enjoy having power for a long time to come, since the GOP will be entirely outnumbered.

McCain is such a wretched example. The guy was awful. Who the hell liked McCain?!? He was a double whammy. His policies were bad, and his personality sucked. Obama's policies were bad, but he had a little glimmer of personality. It made him "attractive" politically to some. McCain was a crazy old man, and most people knew it.

Somehow, the GOP underestimates charisma in the general election a whole lot of the time.

I am with Cinderella on this one, and I would caution those of you (again) playing with "Hispanic" statistics to realize that it's a huge, diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures being lumped into one cute little package.

bruce leeroy
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Even though it's generally not as great a community happening as, say, someone moving an estabilshed, large business to the US and having to staff it at every level... these family-owned businesses still have to buy materials and rent out real estate. There is money spreading around if this is done.

Those green cards, though, probably did not come with many strings attached. "Diversity" is more important than whether or not the person coming in will really be a contributor.

As for three guys named Julio, Jorge, and whatever sitting at a bar talking about not letting so many Mexicans in... did it occur to you they might be legal immigrants, talking about illegals simply sneaking across? Immigration is not an easy process to go through. It stinks when you work very hard to do things right, and then someone next to you does things the easy way, and the people you worked so hard to join don't bother to see the difference at all.

as far as your first po9int, I can see what you are saying, but on the other hand it would be nice if ahmad the liqour store owner or mr lopez the roofing contractor would hire outside of their own ethnic group a lil more often

and on the second point, most of the hispanic guys Ive seen complaining about illegal immigration and open borders tend to be mexi-americans that have been here in Texas longer than most of us anglo's

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
The idea is that if Obama "imports" enough supporters, he and the Democrats can continue to enjoy having power for a long time to come, since the GOP will be entirely outnumbered.

McCain is such a wretched example. The guy was awful. Who the hell liked McCain?!? He was a double whammy. His policies were bad, and his personality sucked. Obama's policies were bad, but he had a little glimmer of personality. It made him "attractive" politically to some. McCain was a crazy old man, and most people knew it.

Somehow, the GOP underestimates charisma in the general election a whole lot of the time.

I am with Cinderella on this one, and I would caution those of you (again) playing with "Hispanic" statistics to realize that it's a huge, diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures being lumped into one cute little package.

I'm pretty sure most on this forum understand that there are exceptions in every statistic.

MelissaWV
04-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure most on this forum understand that there are exceptions in every statistic.

The statistic itself is framed poorly, therefore the idea of "exceptions" to it is silly. I could make a global statement about how "whites" are likely to act, but then decide that the small Government "whites" are exceptions, and draw a conclusion that "whites" are likely to promote social programs and the like, and love Big Government.

Why even bother with statistics if they really aren't going to represent or mean anything? This just helps people shrug off an entire arbitrarily-put-together group as being beyond hope, since "they" are likely to vote a given way.

Hispanics are for amnesty. Hispanics are taking our jobs. Hispanics won't learn the language. Hispanics are liberal. Pretty pointless and misguided stuff, that, but no one takes two seconds to realize it's just a hasty clustering of people based on a general language. Perhaps I should judge you based on my perception of the British ;) English is your first language, and theirs, no?

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 04:06 PM

heres some video

Okay I watched it. This was a couple of years before he started Minuteman Civil Defense Corps.. My husband and I were members of the executive council in southern cali up until I had to quit to help organize the Revolution March. (Didn't have the time to do both.) Chris's views have evolved since then, I'm sure. I doubt he believes that illegal immigrants should go to work camps. I don't want to derail the thread or end up an apologist for Chris. I like the guy but don't agree with everything he says.

As to your post where you quote Chris, et al. in the following:

This is a deceptive quote since nowhere in the video does it show him saying it. The maker of that video dubbed it in and there is way to know for sure if he said it or if he was talking about illegal immigrants or what. And the video clearly points out that 9-11and unsecured borders were as important to him as illegal immigrants.

I don't know who this guy is but it doesn't look like his comments were made in front of Chris so I don't see how you can hold Chris responsible. I have acquaintances who say stupid shit all the time.

As to illegal immigrants getting green cards and amnesty, just remember, millions of immigrants in this country did it the legal way. Think how they must feel about someone going in through the back door. And before the libertarians start on me, if you're gonna bitch about open borders, just remember that EVERY country has borders and immigration laws. There is a reason for it.

erowe1
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I get that. But who cares? Why does anybody here think that the GOP getting killed is anything to shed a tear over?

BlackTerrel
04-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Hispanics

66% of Hispanic voters turned out for Obama - the best ever result for a Democrat

What percentage of whites voted for McCain Vs Ron Paul?

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
The statistic itself is framed poorly, therefore the idea of "exceptions" to it is silly. I could make a global statement about how "whites" are likely to act, but then decide that the small Government "whites" are exceptions, and draw a conclusion that "whites" are likely to promote social programs and the like, and love Big Government.

Why even bother with statistics if they really aren't going to represent or mean anything? This just helps people shrug off an entire arbitrarily-put-together group as being beyond hope, since "they" are likely to vote a given way.

Hispanics are for amnesty. Hispanics are taking our jobs. Hispanics won't learn the language. Hispanics are liberal. Pretty pointless and misguided stuff, that, but no one takes two seconds to realize it's just a hasty clustering of people based on a general language. Perhaps I should judge you based on my perception of the British ;) English is your first language, and theirs, no?

Me thinks you are confusing statistics with stereotyping. ;)

Deborah K
04-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I get that. But who cares? Why does anybody here think that the GOP getting killed is anything to shed a tear over?

At least a majority of them understood that a takeover of healthcare will be a disaster for this country. But you're right. They are all basically one party.

phill4paul
04-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Illegal immigration does not matter. End federal control. All else will fall into place.

Focus.

Concentrate on the deficit and the inability of the fed to actually deal with ANYTHING.

MelissaWV
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Me thinks you are confusing statistics with stereotyping. ;)

You can find statistics all over the internet stating "Hispanics are for amnesty," and you will find that in many school districts "ESOL classes are mostly for students who speak Spanish as a primary language at home," and so on. Stereotypes often spring from making the numbers dance how someone likes.

RonPaulCult
04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
One of those green cards was issued to my wife last year actually.

OP - your post quote it as 75% of the green cards are for family members. Who are you to say I can't be with my wife and that families can not live together?

That doesn't sound free or libertarian at all to me.

I can understand limiting other types of immigration at times like these - such as the green card lottery.

But otherwise you're trying to take away from my life for the benefit of your life by telling me I can't be with my family.

PS - my wife has a phd and Bush/Obama have made the economy so bad - she is having trouble finding a job.

Marenco
04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
YouTube - Obama Panders to La Raza (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhEYoc0ZPpA)

Deborah K
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
You can find statistics all over the internet stating "Hispanics are for amnesty," and you will find that in many school districts "ESOL classes are mostly for students who speak Spanish as a primary language at home," and so on. Stereotypes often spring from making the numbers dance how someone likes.

Yes, statistics can be skewed. But, comments like this:

Perhaps I should judge you based on my perception of the British ;) English is your first language, and theirs, no?

tend to give the impression of a stereotype since there is no reference to a study, hence my observation. Sometimes our sensitivities cause us to confuse the issues.

At any rate, the fact remains that there are an estimated 20 million illegal immigrants in the country that stand to gain from the passage of amnesty. It stands to reason they will be a very large voting block for the party who passes the bill.

The fact that most of them are from Mexico is really beside the point. The issue has nothing whatsoever to do with race. It has to do with respecting our immigration laws, and it has to do with the impact on our economy. If Canadians were here illegally to the tune of 20 million, the issues would remain the same.