PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Jim Bunning Endorses Rand Paul!

MRoCkEd
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/nkypolitics/2010/04/14/bunning-endorses-rand-paul-for-u-s-senate/

U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Southgate, has endorsed Bowling Green Republican Rand Paul over Northern Kentucky native Trey Grayson in the Republican primary for Bunning’s seat, calling Paul “the only true conservative” in the race.

The winner of the May 18 GOP primary will face the winner of the Democratic primary between frontrunners Lt. Gov. Dan Mongiardo of Hazard and Attorney General Jack Conway of Louisville.

Bunning spokesman Mike Reynard issued the following statement at 5 p.m. today:

Bunning Endorses Dr. Rand Paul for United States Senate

Calls Paul the Only True Conservative in the Race

U.S. Senator Jim Bunning today issued the following statement endorsing Dr. Rand Paul in the Kentucky Republican primary race for the United States Senate.

“In the United States Senate, Kentuckians need a strong, principled conservative to stand up to the liberals and establishment politicians that run Washington. Kentucky needs a conservative who will say no to bailouts, stop the government takeover of our economy, end wasteful spending, and bring down our national debt. And Kentucky’s families need a conservative who believes in traditional values and the rights of the unborn. In 2010, there is only one such conservative running for the United States Senate — Dr. Rand Paul.

“Dr. Paul will be his own man in Washington, not beholden to the special interests and beltway insiders who come looking for handouts on a daily basis. Instead, Dr. Paul will be a strong voice and advocate for the people and values of Kentucky. Dr. Paul is a man of his word who can be trusted to do what is right for Kentucky and the nation.

“I know what it takes to stand up for the conservative principles that are needed to make America a better place for our children and grandchildren. Dr. Paul shares those same core values and has the courage and conviction necessary to make sure the voices of Kentucky’s workers, families, retirees, and children are heard in Washington. That is why I am supporting Dr. Paul to be our next United States Senator from Kentucky.”

JamesButabi
04-14-2010, 03:04 PM
David Adams is very proud to announce Sen. Jim Bunning's endorsement of Rand Paul for Senate from Kentucky in the Republican primary.

Bunning? or Demint?

silverhandorder
Does not compute did the two merge or something? Or were there two endorsements?

Bruno
Damn, that was a quick fix!@

MRoCkEd
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Bunning! :P

Jordan
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Edit:

Holy fuk nuggets! Take that Trey/Mitch.

leipo
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Awesome!

BamaFanNKy
David Adams is very proud to announce Sen. Jim Bunning's endorsement of Rand Paul for Senate from Kentucky in the Republican primary.

Did both of them do it at the same time.

Kotin
that is amazing.. I was wondering why he would not.. he is leaving politics.. nothing to lose.. way to go bunning!!

ssforronpaul
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MRoCkEd
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I was talking on the phone when I made the thread.. haha. It's fixed now.

Jim Bunning!

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Hell yes!

BamaFanNKy
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Time to do a little dance party!

YouTube - Mystikal - Bouncin' Back (Bumpin' Me Against The Wall) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psaHLi7-DIs)

DeadheadForPaul
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Are we 100% sure this is a good thing?

I don't know what people think of Bunning

BamaFanNKy
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM

In the primary, LOVED.

In the General, Liked.

papak
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Treyson is definitely not having a good day.

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Grayson is toast after this.

We have both Bunning and Palin.

Ethek
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Man, this place is quicker than greased lightning... Bunning just torched the GOP establishment tent on his way out.

DeadheadForPaul
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Awesome! Well step 2 is to make sure every GOP Primary Voter knows that Palin and Bunning are in our corner!

Most people don't know Palin supports Rand

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Bunning just torched the GOP establishment tent on his way out.

Great analogy

I thought Bunning used to consider himself a mentor or something to Grayson. no?

Austin
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM

From an earlier thread:

Bunning had a 50% approval rating among Republicans as of August 2009, and only 35% overall. McConnell had a 72% and 47% approval ratings in the respective groups. I would tread lightly with a Bunning endorsement.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/Poll...4-6593595ce7e4 (http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=582c3ab1-14cb-415c-a754-6593595ce7e4)

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Bunning just torched the GOP establishment tent on his way out.

Torched
YouTube - Cypress hill - Aint goin out like that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1b3uTa2foc#t=0m32s)

edit- what the heck? Why can't a link a youtube video to a specific 32 seconds when he lights the fire????

DeadheadForPaul
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Time to do a little dance party!

YouTube - Mystikal - Bouncin' Back (Bumpin' Me Against The Wall) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psaHLi7-DIs)

Bama, if I can blast that music at Trey's concession speech, I expect you to bust out your dance moves and serve Trey up something fierce

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r171/Jes_e_cuH/served-2.jpg

Gage
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Great news!

BamaFanNKy
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
From an earlier thread:

Aug. 2009 was before his stand on the Senate floor. People in Ky. liked it.

TER
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Trey must be seriously questioning himself if he should continue this campaign.,,

BamaFanNKy
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Anyone have the NYTimes video where Trey calls Bunning his Very Good Friend.

Kotin
04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I wish i could see Trey's face..

DeadheadForPaul
04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Torched
YouTube - Cypress hill - Aint goin out like that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1b3uTa2foc#t=0m32s)

edit- what the heck? Why can't a link a youtube video to a specific 32 seconds when he lights the fire????

A+

20 points awarded to Agorism for epic use of Cypress Hill music video

MRoCkEd
04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/nkypolitics/2010/04/14/bunning-endorses-rand-paul-for-u-s-senate/

U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Southgate, has endorsed Bowling Green Republican Rand Paul over Northern Kentucky native Trey Grayson in the Republican primary for Bunning’s seat, calling Paul “the only true conservative” in the race.

The winner of the May 18 GOP primary will face the winner of the Democratic primary between frontrunners Lt. Gov. Dan Mongiardo of Hazard and Attorney General Jack Conway of Louisville.

Bunning spokesman Mike Reynard issued the following statement at 5 p.m. today:

Bunning Endorses Dr. Rand Paul for United States Senate

Calls Paul the Only True Conservative in the Race

U.S. Senator Jim Bunning today issued the following statement endorsing Dr. Rand Paul in the Kentucky Republican primary race for the United States Senate.

“In the United States Senate, Kentuckians need a strong, principled conservative to stand up to the liberals and establishment politicians that run Washington. Kentucky needs a conservative who will say no to bailouts, stop the government takeover of our economy, end wasteful spending, and bring down our national debt. And Kentucky’s families need a conservative who believes in traditional values and the rights of the unborn. In 2010, there is only one such conservative running for the United States Senate — Dr. Rand Paul.

“Dr. Paul will be his own man in Washington, not beholden to the special interests and beltway insiders who come looking for handouts on a daily basis. Instead, Dr. Paul will be a strong voice and advocate for the people and values of Kentucky. Dr. Paul is a man of his word who can be trusted to do what is right for Kentucky and the nation.

“I know what it takes to stand up for the conservative principles that are needed to make America a better place for our children and grandchildren. Dr. Paul shares those same core values and has the courage and conviction necessary to make sure the voices of Kentucky’s workers, families, retirees, and children are heard in Washington. That is why I am supporting Dr. Paul to be our next United States Senator from Kentucky.”

OH YEAAAAH

specsaregood
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
A+

20 points awarded to Agorism for epic use of Cypress Hill music video

+100, love me some cypress.

teacherone
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
rasmussen bump?

John Taylor
04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
rasmussen bump?

What awesome timing!!!! Right after Grayson performs vastly below what he had hoped, in debate and poll alike, Bunning hits him with a wicked hook that will dominate the news-cycles for another week. After that, it's all momentum and GOTV and TV ads galore through the primary.

I am so proud of Senator Bunning for standing up for principled leaders and candidates. Hell yes!

Thargok
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
This is what happens when you stumble on the question of whether or not you support Senator Bunning in an morning interview...

low preference guy
04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Trey needs to drop out right now so we can use some of our resources to help Schiff and Hostettler.

John Taylor
04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Trey needs to drop out right now so we can send some of our resources to Schiff and Hostettler.

That would be awesome!!! As much as I hope and pray Schiff pulls it out, (I know he's incredible, and would be incredible in the Senate), I know Hostettler would be a rock solid tag-team with Rand for limited constitutional government!

Chieftain1776
04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
I almost feel sorry for Treyson...almost. If he didn't stab Bunning in back like a cold-blooded gangsta to advance his political career then I probably would.

In general I don't think sitting Senators should endorse someone but what Mitch & Treyson did to Bunning (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/07/27/72553/after-months-of-tension-kentuckys.html) was unprecedented.

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Trey Grayson needs to drop out.

All he is doing is running everyone's money down to zero.

ssforronpaul
04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Louisville Courier-Journal

Bunning turns back on protégé Grayson in favor of Paul
By James R. Carroll • jcarroll@courier-journal.com • April 14, 2010

WASHINGTON — Retiring Sen. Jim Bunning turned his back Wednesday on political protégé Trey Grayson and endorsed Rand Paul in Kentucky’s GOP Senate primary.

“In the United States Senate, Kentuckians need a strong, principled conservative to stand up to the liberals and establishment politicians that run Washington,” the Kentucky Republican said in a statement just released by his office. “Kentucky needs a conservative who will say no to bailouts, stop the government takeover of our economy, end wasteful spending, and bring down our national debt.
“And Kentucky’s families need a conservative who believes in traditional values and the rights of the unborn. In 2010, there is only one such conservative running for the United States Senate — Dr. Rand Paul.”
Bunning’s endorsement underscores his fractured relationship with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., who hasn’t officially endorsed anyone but is believed to be behind Grayson, Kentucky’s secretary of state, in the May 18 primary race.
Bunning’s decision also is a blow to Grayson, who was given the go-ahead by the senator to form an exploratory committee last year even before Bunning decided not to seek a third term.
Grayson said at the time he was close to Bunning.
But with Grayson trailing Paul, a Bowling Green ophthalmologist, in the polls, Bunning has shifted allegiances.
“Dr. Paul will be his own man in Washington, not beholden to the special interests and beltway insiders who come looking for handouts on a daily basis,” Bunning said in his statement. “Instead, Dr. Paul will be a strong voice and advocate for the people and values of Kentucky. Dr. Paul is a man of his word who can be trusted to do what is right for Kentucky and the nation.”

ssforronpaul

gls
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
This is pretty big. It is front page center on Google News right now.

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Was this endorsement being saved?

Fozz
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
If Jim Bunning is unpopular in his own state, why is this such a good thing?

DeadheadForPaul
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
This is a pretty damning article for Trey: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1579684/bunning-endorses-tea-party-favorite.html

Go Rand Go!

Cheers to Senator Bunning!

Flash
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM

He became a favorite within the Tea Party for this stunt of his:
http://www.rollcall.com/news/43596-1.html

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7700000/Gloating-the-office-7727118-492-380.jpg

Agorism
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Anyone have Rand's quote on Palin being a great president?

specsaregood
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Was this endorsement being saved?

Doesn't appear so:

The endorsement came as a surprise at 5 p.m. in a four-paragraph statement from Bunning press secretary Mike Reynard and is the latest public indignity for Grayson, a Bunning loyalist who was once considered the front-runner for the GOP Senate nomination

specsaregood
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Anyone have Rand's quote on Palin being a great president?
He didn't say that, so that quote doesn't exist, thanks for playing.

Fozz
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
He became a favorite within the Tea Party for this stunt of his:
http://www.rollcall.com/news/43596-1.html

Sure, but won't this hurt him in the general election?

specsaregood
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Let's cross that bridge when we have to, this is great for the primary.

Flash
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

You'd have to ask someone that knows KY politics. All I know is that Bunning has gained a lot of respect amongst the Tea Party Republicans.

low preference guy
04-14-2010, 04:00 PM

No. Bunning might not be a favorite, but he is not hated.

Also, as for the money, this makes it more likely that Grayson will drop out. If that happends, Rand will save a bunch of primary money for the general.

Epic
Demint just endorsed Ken Buck in Colorado... where is Demint in the Kentucky race?

Why hasn't he committed to Rand and donated?

gls

What makes you think that Bunning is unpopular in Kentucky? Are you referring to a recent poll? No doubt the left despises him especially after his stand against appropriating non-existent unemployment funds, but the current national political environment certainly seems favorable toward both Bunning and Paul's overall agenda.

Agorism
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone else recall a quote from Rand about Palin?

Chieftain1776
04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
You know given Treyson's statement today about Palin I remembered another quote of his that went something like "Who cares what somebody in Alaska thinks?". Now should he change it to "Who cares what somebody in my own backyard (Northern Kentucky) and twice elected sitting Senator thinks?" :p

Looks like the "Northern Kentucky Speaks" crowd is overrun.

Fozz
04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
What makes you think that Bunning is unpopular in Kentucky? Are you referring to a recent poll? No doubt the left despises him especially after his stand against appropriating non-existent unemployment funds, but the current national political environment certainly seems favorable toward both Bunning and Paul's overall agenda.
His approval rating in KY has been low for quite some time.

I was just a bit skeptical.

Fozz
04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Demint just endorsed Ken Buck in Colorado... where is Demint in the Kentucky race?

He said on an Anderson Cooper interview that Sarah Palin could be a great president.

muzzled dogg
04-14-2010, 04:07 PM
good news

low preference guy
04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
i confess a secret: just went to the crazy one website and had a laugh.

John Taylor
04-14-2010, 04:11 PM

I hope he does endorse Rand, but that he endorses him in another week or so... mid-week next week would be great!

Right now we have a ton of momentum... the bus tour got free press, the money bomb will get free press, the Bunning endorsement will get a ton of free press, in KY and around the country, and the latest poll results got a ton of free press...

Keep working at the grassroots, keep handing out signs and talking to people, and in a week or so, hopefully we can get DeMint or Club for Growth on board, and then play that up across KY!

ssforronpaul
04-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't consider this to have any substantial impact on the general election, but it hopefully helps solidify some remaining questions on Paul in the primary.

The general will be much easier than this primary as it will be framed:

Any ad in a conservative state:

Question: Do you want (fill in democratic senate candidate) in the senate to be a rubberstamp for the Obama agenda (cap and tax, health care tax, comprehensive immigration reform, continued destruction of our economy...)?

Answer: Big No and as Senator for Kentucky I will keep Obama in check.

Election Results: Rand Paul 55% to 44% democrat senate candidate (at a minimum with no major stumbles)
Why because Obama lost 58% to 41% in a landslide year for democrats.

ssforronpaul

Agorism
04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Would be nice to have Club for Growth and DeMint on board.

It's getting late in this show...but still would be nice to have them.

gls
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Why because Obama lost 58% to 41% in a landslide year for democrats.

ssforronpaul

Exactly. Ocasionally I'll come across a discussion about this race on liberal blogs like Daily KOS or the Swing State Project and they actually think the Democratic nominee has a good chance of winning. It is quite laughable. This fall the Dems will have a hard enough time holding onto U.S. Senate seats in "purple" states, nevermind picking them up in solidly-red ones.

DeadheadForPaul
04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
^ agreed

Many people do not understand that there are different factions within both the GOP and the Democratic Party
They just think Dems = Good; GOP = Bad (or vice versa)

The Democrats in the South are blue dogs and tend to be fiscally moderate/conservative and socially conservative. The Southern dems would vote for a strong conservative over a left liberal

If Obama/Dems lost that bad in Kentucky when he was popular, imagine how bad the Dems will lose when they are unpopular

MRoCkEd
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Check out these great videos:

http://www.whas11.com/news/Shocker-Bunning-endorses-Paul-in-primary-90874424.html
http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/90874264.html

ssforronpaul
04-14-2010, 06:09 PM

http://www.whas11.com/news/Shocker-Bunning-endorses-Paul-in-primary-90874424.html
http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/90874264.html

Thanks for the video links.

This was my favorite part summarised by me from whas11:

One obviously non-republican reporter asks: eh eh eh nnnoo lose here for Trey Grayson, right?
Arnold responds: No, in Kentucky this is an earthquake!!!!!!!!

ssforronpaul

specsaregood
04-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Shocker: Bunning endorses Paul in primary
That is two Paul-related "shocker"s today.

skyorbit
04-14-2010, 07:27 PM
WHOO HOOO!!!

Tracy

Reason
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
YouTube - Rand Paul Endorsement for Senate - Senator Bunning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SWYeYbIMU)

RonPaulFanInGA
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/347h0sh.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/axnudi.jpg

lx43
04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Now I hope my state Senator Jim Demint will endorse Rand.

Question: with Bunning dropping out will he be able to give what money he have left from his campaigns to Rand?

BamaFanNKy
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Now I hope my state Senator Jim Demint will endorse Rand.

Question: with Bunning dropping out will he be able to give what money he have left from his campaigns to Rand?

You mean his debt?

lx43
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
You mean his debt?

No, his excess cash if he had any. I didn't take the time to look at FEC reports on Bunning.

thomas-in-ky
04-14-2010, 10:48 PM
The Bunning endorsement is great news!! I thought it was inevitable back in December... :)

That would be excellent news. Like "a Bunning endorsement" (but even more so), a debate is almost inevitable in the chain of events. We just don't yet know the order of operations.

RlxdN10sity
04-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Sounds like good news to me. The thing that occurs to me though is that Rand is running as the outsider/non-career politician candidate. How well will that reconcile with an endorsement from a 25 year career politician? I'm certainly no political scientist, but I think it is an interesting point to consider.

gls
04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Sounds like good news to me. The thing that occurs to me though is that Rand is running as the outsider/non-career politician candidate. How well will that reconcile with an endorsement from a 25 year career politician? I'm certainly no political scientist, but I think it is an interesting point to consider.

Even though he has been in D.C. a long time I don't think it is fair to call Bunning a "career politician". He was a Major League Baseball pitcher who is in the Hall of Fame. Ron Paul has also been in Washington a long time but I bet he would describe himself as a "career" obstetrician.

thomas-in-ky
04-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Bunning voted Against the bailouts and didn't play well with the establishment. His endorsement will help Rand in this Kentucky primary, there is no doubt from where I sit (I'm sitting in a conservative county in KY with 3,800 likely republican primary voters... 90% of whom are P.O.ed that Mitch McConnel voted for the bail outs.)

It's like the Palin endorsement - it's good. real good.

Badger Paul
04-14-2010, 11:24 PM
One thing you can say about Rand, he has a fairly broad coalition of people supporting from Erick Erickson to Sarah Palin to Jim Bunning. While these people may not be your cup of tea, they sure make it hard for Grayson's attacks to have any kind of impact. If Rand wins, this will be one good reason as to why

Daamien
04-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Excellent news. Grayson should just drop out now so he doesn't embarrass himself or his DC-insider backers with a poor primary performance.

Now that the primary is undoubtedly in the bag for Rand I hope our other liberty candidates get a boost!

Aratus
04-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Let's cross that bridge when we have to, this is great for the primary.

yo!!! folks...

two words

SARAH PALIN!

SCOTT BROWN!!

sen. bunning

helps rand

in both

may + nov!

PARTY UNITY!!!

amisspelledword
04-15-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35826.html