PDA

View Full Version : Muslim girl says she was denied job at McD's due to "thing" on her head

JustinTime
04-13-2010, 06:02 PM
http://freep.com/article/20100413/NEWS03/100413061/1318/Muslim-woman-denied-job-at-McDonalds-files-complaint

Although I think its silly to fear what someone chooses to wear on their head, Im torn. What do the good folks here think about discrimination protections?

0zzy
04-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Barlaksar said she filed the complaint because "I don't want other people to go through what I went through. … If no one speaks up, this will continue to happen, this won't be the last time. We have to stand up."

YEAH! Stand up! Stand up or you'll never end up working at a McDonalds!
YAY MEDIOCRITY!

constituent
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
YAY MEDIOCRITY!

edit: f* it, i don't really care.

BlackTerrel
04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
YAY MEDIOCRITY!

Barlaskar said she is a college student who was looking for a part-time job so she wouldn't have to rely on her parents for expenses like gas money. She said her father was recently laid off.

Seems pretty smart to me. Pay your way while you're in school. I took a slew of similar minimum wage jobs through college before I got a cush job at the University gym that allowed me to study while I "worked".

RM918
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
There's a conflict here, I guess, but I don't get it. I think hijabs are very feminine and attractive, but I guess some people are so paralyzed by the war machine they blanch at anything remotely middle-eastern.

Dr.3D
04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, if McDonald's employees are required to wear the cute little hats they always seem to be wearing, I suppose she could put one of them on over her hijab.

Perhaps the manager thought she would have to remove her hijab to wear the cute little hat.

silus
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
She's wrong. The hijab has nothing to do with either her religion or her nationality, so she can stfu about that.

Secondly, you can't expect to work everywhere be accepted based on "discrimination." Discrimination first off is not a bad word, lets get that out of the way. The issue is what should you be able to discriminate against. If she was covered head to toe in a cloak should people accept that as well?

My principle regarding this is that you should not discriminate based on anything you are born with, so long as you can do the job. In other words, regarding the work place you don't have a right to wear whatever you want or say whatever you want and accuse others of discrimination. Can I wear facial piercings as a waiter and claim its part of my religion?? HELL NO.

Notice that discrimination is only significant when you deal with a powerful force.

noxagol
04-13-2010, 08:04 PM
If McDonald's doesn't want someone working their for ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, then so be it. Either McDonald's will suffer for turning down a potentially good employee for a seemingly stupid reason, or customers will suffer by not having the best service possible for a seemingly stupid reason.

I could see a head covering being a safety hazard. I don't know what this particular one looked like, but if it were long enough it could end up in a vat of 350+ greese and burn her, or catch fire on a 450 degree grill. I worked at McDonalds for 3 years when I was in high school, stuff like that can happen.

In conclusion, anyone should be allowed to discriminate who works for them and who does business with them for whatever reason they want. Not everyone wants to deal with everyone else and they shouldn't be forced to because YOU or ANYONE else thinks they should. That is not freedom, that is tyranny.

TinCanToNA
04-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure she has much of a case...

Granted, you don't sell your soul when you sign an employment contract (in most cases that is), but you also don't get to accessorize any which way you want to if there are restrictions against it pertinent to the terms of your employment. She can either wear a little hat like literally every other McDonald's crew member, or she can find employment elsewhere. It's not like they're even asking for that much when it comes to serving fries with that...

phill4paul
04-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd worry less about that than the fact that two McDs illegal hispanic workers just raped a citizen in our community.

Gee if communities actually gave a fuck you'd have thought McDees woulda lost so much business they'd a changed there hiring practice.

Truth is there ain't a "community" anymore. No one gives a shit. People that expect more from their communities are a dieing breed.

noxagol
04-13-2010, 11:09 PM
I'd worry less about that than the fact that two McDs illegal hispanic workers just raped a citizen in our community.

Gee if communities actually gave a fuck you'd have thought McDees woulda lost so much business they'd a changed there hiring practice.

Truth is there ain't a "community" anymore. No one gives a shit. People that expect more from their communities are a dieing breed.

Oh no, you are wrong. Everyone expects 'more' from their communities, and they go vote for the politicians willing to fulfill that all the time.

nate895
04-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh no, you are wrong. Everyone expects 'more' from their communities, and they go vote for the politicians willing to fulfill that all the time.

He is referring to social interaction and common decency rather than monetary gain.

noxagol
04-14-2010, 04:58 AM
He is referring to social interaction and common decency rather than monetary gain.

I know....

demolama
04-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Why do you think Judaism has different sects? Because in order to fit into the industrial ages's society some of the old ways had to be removed in order to fit in.

It's very difficult to keep Kosher... and very expensive. Kippahs for everyday wear were removed as well as keeping the long curly hair near the ears. Women wearing clothing from head to toe covered was not practical during the industrial age where those garments would get caught in the machines

Taking the Sabbath off and doing nothing... in the modern world you don't work you lose money or your job.

My point is Jews were in the U.S. during the industrial age. They learned early on that in order to live in the rising industrial world they needed to adapt. Now Post-Industrial Age, however, we live in a society more tolerant of other cultures so instead of adapting their religions all they do is whine and sue.

I'm not saying all Jews changed... Orthodox has found a way to keep the old ways but it required a community of Jews to allow that type of lifestyle.

brandon
04-14-2010, 07:18 AM
I personally wouldn't want to hire anyone that wears any strange religious stuff. Whether it is a hijab, a yarmulke, or a cross around the neck...

http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/image3/sexy-hijab.jpg

LibertyEagle
04-14-2010, 07:31 AM
http://freep.com/article/20100413/NEWS03/100413061/1318/Muslim-woman-denied-job-at-McDonalds-files-complaint

Although I think its silly to fear what someone chooses to wear on their head, Im torn. What do the good folks here think about discrimination protections?

McDonald's is a private business. They should be able to hire whomever they please, for whatever reasons they choose to do so. PERIOD. It should be none of the government's business.

MelissaWV
04-14-2010, 07:34 AM
McDonalds has a uniform. To work there, you have to wear the uniform. Your accessories must fit in with the uniform and be acceptable per the employee manual.

I applaud the fact she would like to work her way through college, but there are places that will hire her without her changing what she wears. If her religion is that central to her life, she might begin her job search at her place of worship, since they are most likely to know of places where she could work.

I never really understood discrimination complaints. Other than monetary compensation in the case of something so absolutely hostile and severe that occurs after a contract has been signed (which would be exceedingly rare), most of these people seem to want their jobs back, or the jobs modified to their criteria. Why would she want to work with a bunch of ignorant idiots?

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
This suit is one of the many benefits of anti-discrimination statues. Government gets to tell property owners what they can and can not do. I hope she gets paid and corporate Amerika gets to eat a lot more of the anti-discrimination cake they have baked.

lester1/2jr
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Mcdonalds can hire or fire anyone they want BUT it's lame that they wouldn't hire her because she wore a hijab.

I personally would not go to this McDonalds untill they hired her

marc1888
04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I dont know where you get your facts from but the hijab is very much a part of the Islamic religion.

She's wrong. The hijab has nothing to do with either her religion or her nationality, so she can stfu about that.

Secondly, you can't expect to work everywhere be accepted based on "discrimination." Discrimination first off is not a bad word, lets get that out of the way. The issue is what should you be able to discriminate against. If she was covered head to toe in a cloak should people accept that as well?

My principle regarding this is that you should not discriminate based on anything you are born with, so long as you can do the job. In other words, regarding the work place you don't have a right to wear whatever you want or say whatever you want and accuse others of discrimination. Can I wear facial piercings as a waiter and claim its part of my religion?? HELL NO.

Notice that discrimination is only significant when you deal with a powerful force.

LibertyEagle
04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
This suit is one of the many benefits of anti-discrimination statues. Government gets to tell property owners what they can and can not do. I hope she gets paid and corporate Amerika gets to eat a lot more of the anti-discrimination cake they have baked.

So, you want to stick it to "corporate Amerika", eh? All of it, collectively? Do you believe that ALL corporations are evil? You do realize, right, that the more laws stick it to "corporate Amerika", the more corporations move overseas? Not to mention the fact that these discrimination laws affect small businesses, the same way they impact corporations. So, wishing her success in this BS case, will make it tougher on us to get a job or to start a business of our own.

LibertyEagle
04-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I dont know where you get your facts from but the hijab is very much a part of the Islamic religion.

McDonald's has a uniform. Hijabs are not part of it. If she does not like it, she can apply for work elsewhere who WILL allow it, or start a business of her own. Not force a private business owner to bow to her wishes.

Danke
04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
So, you want to stick it to "corporate Amerika", eh? All of it, collectively? Do you believe that ALL corporations are evil? You do realize, right, that the more laws stick it to "corporate Amerika", the more corporations move overseas? Not to mention the fact that these discrimination laws affect small businesses, the same way they impact corporations. So, wishing her success in this BS case, will make it tougher on us to get a job or to start a business of our own.

I don't think that is what he is saying. But a corporation isn't really a private business in the strictest sense (they have incorporated). All kinds of government interference in how they do business. And this was big corporations that wrote and lobbied for all these regulations through the years. Small cost for them (that gets passed on to the end consumer anyway) but has the effect of limiting competition and small business start ups.

Rael
04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow, more people allowing an imaginary invisible man in the sky to choose their wardrobe :rolleyes:

MelissaWV
04-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow, more people allowing an imaginary invisible man in the sky to choose their wardrobe :rolleyes:

Even if she just liked covering her head with a scarf, if she wants to work there, she needs to wear the uniform. I don't see it being a religious thing as having anything to do with it. Maybe I don't want to wear the uniform because it's ugly (and it is...)? As a condition of working there, I have to wear it as it's supposed to be worn. It's not that difficult to figure out, unless you've been conditioned to look for recourse the moment you don't get what you want.

Who can I sue? How can I claim discrimination? Who can I tell who'll help me make a stink about this? How can I make the company look bad? How can I waste a whole shitload of time on this, rather than just find another job and move on? :rolleyes:

John Taylor
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
McDonald's has a uniform. Hijabs are not part of it. If she does not like it, she can apply for work elsewhere who WILL allow it, or start a business of her own. Not force a private business owner to bow to her wishes.

+1776.

It's good to see people sticking up for private property rights on here.

angelatc
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
There's a conflict here, I guess, but I don't get it. I think hijabs are very feminine and attractive, but I guess some people are so paralyzed by the war machine they blanch at anything remotely middle-eastern.

Eh, Michigan has the largest Muslim population in the country. They're not exactly furreners 'round here.

As for her v McDonalds - I don't care.

angelatc
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM

It's a better choice than allowing a drug-addled 20-something to issue such decrees. Obviously if it isn't important to you, then it clearly isn't important. Is that how that works?

M House
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Ugly uniforms? Didn't Playboy do something with employees from McDs awhile ago?

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
+1776.

It's good to see people sticking up for private property rights on here.

People do stick up for private property rights, just not voluntarily applied for government privileges. I will defend private property rights all day long but if you are going to operate a public place of business exercising state protections of limited liability while acting as a government wage spying withholding agent...

Don't discriminate.

If I go buy a grill and start producing burgers McDees is not going to give a shit about my property rights and as such I do not give a shit about their privileges.

eOs
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I find this article rather amusing. Thank you.

Morgan Brykein
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
What appears to be a young woman getting a job at McDonald's is really part of a stealth jihad to subjugate the dhimmis blah blah blah.

Rael
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
It's a better choice than allowing a drug-addled 20-something to issue such decrees.

Not really, considering the 20 something is the only one of the two that can be proven to actually exist.

John Taylor
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
People do stick up for private property rights, just not voluntarily applied for government privileges. I will defend private property rights all day long but if you are going to operate a public place of business exercising state protections of limited liability while acting as a government wage spying withholding agent...

Don't discriminate.

If I go buy a grill and start producing burgers McDees is not going to give a shit about my property rights and as such I do not give a shit about their privileges.

So a privately owned hotel which is open to the public and which has to operate by using a state-issued license should NOT be able to discriminate against you???

Sounds like you side with the feds in Heart of Atlanta?

What place of business isn't "public"???

And it isn't state-protections of limited liability, it's state protection of the private people's voluntarily entered CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS.

Danke
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
So a privately owned hotel which is open to the public and which has to operate by using a state-issued license should NOT be able to discriminate against you???

Didn't you just answer your question?

... it's state protection of the private people's voluntarily entered CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS.

See above.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
which has to operate by using a state-issued license

I opt for the path of most resistance because I am not going to bow down and ask permission for a natural God given right. Kiss my ass come point your guns at me and do what you are going to do. Some might say Martin Luther King or Ghandi understand this position well.

Some people voluntarily apply for permission but have educated themselves and understand they are in fact voluntarily applying for government regulated privileges. They choose privileges because they are a lessor path of resistance. They know they don't have to voluntarily apply but they choose to in order to avoid major government persecution. Many of these people don't agree with obtaining permission and actively work within the system to subvert, change, or co-exist with it.

Most people don't have a f*****g clue what the paper they are filling out and signing means, wouldn't know what the words sovereignty or freedom meant if it hit them upside the head, and could probably care less because they are content in bondage.

I can relate with the first group, empathize with the second group, and give a shit less about the third group.

LibertyEagle
04-14-2010, 05:06 PM

If you absolutely feel that you simply must insult people for their religious choices, there is a forum setup for you to do that. :rolleyes:

acptulsa
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Can no one think on their feet any more? All she had to do was call it a hair net...

BlackTerrel
04-14-2010, 05:14 PM
We also don't know that that was the reason she didn't get the job. She claims that was the reason - maybe it was maybe it wasn't.

I am pretty sure I went through the drive through at McDonald's here in Northern California about 6 months ago and a girl was wearing a Hijab. Although to be fair it may have been a Burger King

JustinTime
04-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Ugly uniforms? Didn't Playboy do something with employees from McDs awhile ago?

That doesnt prove anything about the uniforms, just what was under them.

marc1888
04-14-2010, 08:37 PM

I think your missing my point :) I do not disagree with what you say at all. McDonalds have a right not to employ her and Muslims have a right to take their custom elsewhere from this McDonalds if that is the case.

I was responding to the poster who said that a hijab is not part of her religion.