PDA

View Full Version : Missouri police to 'aggressively enforce' seat belt violations Thursday

disorderlyvision
04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-43006-Quincy-Libertarian-Examiner~y2010m4d13-Missouri-police-to-aggressively-enforce-seat-belt-violations-Thursday

The Quincy Herald-Whig is reporting that Thursday, April 15th, police will "aggressively enforce" seat belt violations across the state of Missouri. Of course, they are using the excuse that they are doing it for your safety. The article states that 489 people died in traffic accidents in MO and that 7 out of 10 were not wearing seat belts.

That means 3 out of 10 (or 147 of them) were wearing their seat belt, and they still died. There is no evidence that if the rest were wearing their seat belts they would have survived their crashes. Most of the fatal accidents occur on highways traveling at higher speeds, which decreases the chance of a seat belt saving your life. Most enforcement occurs in towns where the speed limit is typically between 25 and 45 miles per hour. At these lower speeds you may sustain minor injuries, perhaps even a broken bone, but it is unlikely that you will perish in a wreck. Basically, negating the safety effects of seat belt use.

Seat belt laws seem to be used as nothing more than a way to generate revenue, and to give the cops a chance to look for other 'crimes' or violations while they have you pulled over. They do not care, whatsoever, about your safety.

A few things to consider:

1. What authority does the government have to force someone to wear a seat belt?

2. What happened to freedom of choice and self-determination?

3. How is not wearing a seat belt considered a crime if the person not wearing the seat belt is not violating the person or property of another individual?

4. If it is truly an issue of safety, why do some states (IL for example) allow people on motorcycles to not wear a helmet? IL has some extremely stiff penalties for failure to wear a seat belt, but no laws regarding the use of helmets on motorcycles. It seems to me that not wearing a helmet would be more detrimental to your safety than not wearing a seat belt. At least in a car you are surrounded by metal, adding a layer of protection. I do not support legislation forcing someone to wear a helmet. I was just pointing out the absurdity of the 'safety' claim.

Be careful driving around on Thursday. The police ARE out to get you!

YouTube - 10 Rules for Dealing with Police PART 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrbNLt7Om8&feature)

phill4paul
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Sounds like someone needs some revenue enforcement.;)

KCIndy
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Seat belt laws??

I HATE seat belt laws. F*** seat belt laws!! :mad::mad:

I'm having a bad day. Grumpgrumpgrump!! :p

Mach
04-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Seat belts.... unless you're riding in a Limo.

Bruno
04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Seat belts.... unless you're riding in a Limo.

or a public or school bus!

phill4paul
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM

"It's for the CHILDREN!!!!!" Oh, wait in this instance it's not.:p

Mach
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Touché....... time to get a list together and go for the ol' anti-seatbelt class action kinda lawsuit. :D

FSP-Rebel
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Missouri won't be the only one to crackdown on seat belts, this usually happens in many states in the spring. Heh, good thing I live in NH.

noxagol
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I happen to work across the highway from an Illinois regional state police HQ. They have a huge 20-40 foot long, 6 foot tall banner that says "Click it or ticket". I've had thoughts of infiltrating at night and vandalizing it with something patriotic, but I decide to let well enough alone for now lol.