PDA

View Full Version : NH Residents protest gun laws

disorderlyvision
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/701465-196/residents-protest-gun-laws.html

Some of them armed with handguns and rifles, more than 30 people gathered Saturday on the State House plaza to protest laws that restrict gun ownership.

The peaceful rally included the denunciation of state lawmakers who last year voted to ban firearms in the capitol building.

“You need to remember in November that some of these people want you defenseless,” Jennifer Coffey, a state representative from Andover, said about the next election.

The Statehouse firearm ban, coupled with other New Hampshire and federal laws, prompted the gun owners to demonstrate in Concord. They contend their Second Amendment rights are under threat by a sprawling government that could potentially disarm them.

The rally and a short march down North Main Street previewed a larger event to be held Monday in Washington.

Coffey and several other speakers connected history and property rights to rail against politicians who have tightened gun purchase and possession requirements.

For instance, when Coffey rhetorically asked in several call-and-response questions what to do with state lawmakers who have voted for gun restrictions, several people repeatedly replied, “Fire them.”

Rich Wilcox, a 22-year Navy veteran and Somersworth resident, said he and other gun owners want to “tell politicians they’re not going to take our weapons away, and if they try, it will be at their peril.”

Wilcox added that he isn’t endorsing an armed revolution, but rather a movement at the ballot box. “It’s time to start throwing out politicians if they don’t protect our Second Amendment rights,” he said.

Salem resident Brad Winslow listened to the event’s speakers legally carrying a 9-millimeter handgun in a closed holster. He received a gun license six months ago, and felt compelled to rally against what he views as the eroding of gun-ownership rights.

“People don’t recognize the Second Amendment protects all other rights,” Winslow said. “If we lose the Second Amendment first, we lose all other rights.”

Restrictions on weapon ownership are largely caused by fear, Winslow said. “Statistics show that gun owners are mostly law-abiding citizens,” he added.

Wakefield resident Garrett Lear addressed the crowd dressed as a Revolutionary era figure. The self-proclaimed “Patriot Pastor” told the crowd to “just say ‘no’ to the tyrants.”

“Do you hear us in D.C.? Do you hear us in Concord? We will hold you to your Constitutional obligation, or else,” Lear said.

Goshen resident Charles Lewis also attended the rally armed. He carried a .45-caliber handgun in a side holster.

“I have a permit to carry, and a permit to carry a concealed weapon,” Lewis said. “I don’t commonly carry openly, though.”

As with the others, Lewis said restrictions on guns are not sensible. Areas where guns are prohibited are places where some of the worst gun tragedies have occurred, including shooting sprees three years ago on the campus of Virginia Tech and last year at Fort Hood, he said.

“The police can’t be everywhere,” Lewis said. “And it’s not what the police are for. They’re not there to protect you. You have to protect yourself.”

Badger Paul
04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Bump for the Free State!

TonySutton
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
“I have a permit to carry, and a permit to carry a concealed weapon,” Lewis said. “I don’t commonly carry openly, though.”

I thought NH was an open carry state?!?!?! Why would he need a permit to carry and a permit to carry concealed?

FSP-Rebel
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I thought NH was an open carry state?!?!?! Why would he need a permit to carry and a permit to carry concealed?
NH is an open carry state, not sure what the guy is talking about. A concealed permit is $10.

Pennsylvania
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Funny how NH gun activism never makes it to nra-ila...

TonySutton
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
NH is an open carry state, not sure what the guy is talking about. A concealed permit is $10.

It made me think the person writing the piece is either an idiot or has a agenda.