PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Tea party abuse overblown

bobbyw24
04-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) said Monday that tea party activists are getting a bad rap in media reports that link them with extreme or abusive behavior.

Paul’s insurgent presidential campaign provided early fuel for the anti-tax movement, and the Republican congressman argued Monday during an interview on CNN’s “American Morning” that the tea parties are still “99 percent” focused on advocating for smaller government.

The movement though has been hit by media reports of abusive behavior directed toward Democratic members of Congress, including racist and homophobic comments. And in one instance, a gas line was cut at the home of Rep. Tom Perriello’s (D-Va.) brother after a tea party activist incorrectly posted the address on his blog – identifying it as the congressman’s – and encouraging activists to “drop by.”

But Paul said Monday that such instances are “1 percent or 2 percent and it's blown out of proportion.”

“[People] in the media can pick this up and play that up,” Paul said. “Yes, there are elements like that both on left and right,” the Texas Republican said. “But I don't think that's their theme at all. But, you know, there's always risk in politics, whether you're on the left or right, of people who join you for ulterior motives and they tend to want to discredit you.”

“That's why the individual who is presenting the case has to present the issues,” Paul added. “I have to defend my views. I can't defend the views of everybody who ever shows up at one of my events because that would be impossible. I mean, we don't screen people.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35670.html#ixzz0kyYic8KQ