PDA

View Full Version : Hostettler Supposedly in a Tight Race with Coats

AuH20
04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Coats is GOP poison, so hopefully the 3 way race can work to Hostettler's advantage. He just needs some funds, and with May 4th fast approaching it's going to be tight. With that said, the democratic challenger Ellsworth would likely be beaten rather easily by both Coats or Hostettler, so that makes the gravity of this primary even more significant. Coats has received money from both McCain and Kyl thus far, so he has the big guns in his corner.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/6730/ssp-daily-digest-412-afternoon-edition

• IN-Sen: Take this with as much salt as you'd like, as it's a leak of an Indiana GOP Senate primary poll to a right-wing blog and the leak doesn't even say which candidate's camp it came from, let alone who the pollster is. Nevertheless, it shows a tight race between Dan Coats and John Hostettler: Coats leads 29-26, with Marlin Stutzman not to be counted out either at 18.

http://www.johnhostettler.com/

MRoCkEd
04-12-2010, 08:46 PM
holy shitz0rz

low preference guy
04-12-2010, 08:49 PM
we need an emergency money bomb for April 24 or around that, 10 days before the election. Unless RP support will hurt Hostettler in Indiana. One possibility is letting their people organize it and then the movement quietly joins and also donates.

AuH20
04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
we need an emergency bomb for April 24 or around that, 10 days before the election. Unless RP support will hurt Hostettler in Indiana. One possibility is letting their people organize it and then the movement quietly joins and also donates.

The pre-polling has both Coats and Hostettler up double digits on Ellsworth after the Obamacare fiasco. It's practically a shoe-in and it would be a shame to see an insider like Coats slink in there.

Imperial
04-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Coats is GOP poison, so hopefully the 3 way race can work to Hostettler's advantage. He just needs some funds, and with May 4th fast approaching it's going to be tight. With that said, the democratic challenger Ellsworth would likely be beaten rather easily by both Coats or Hostettler, so that makes the gravity of this primary even more significant. Coats has received money from both McCain and Kyl thus far, so he has the big guns in his corner.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/6730/ssp-daily-digest-412-afternoon-edition

http://www.johnhostettler.com/

The key with this is, "whose campaign did the polling?" I don't think Bates or Behney would have sufficient funding to take the poll. Stutzman is a major wildcard in this race, but if he took it I would expect Hostettler to take up alot of his supporters; however, I don't know if Stutzman would have the money.

Hostettler could have made the poll, but I don't see his camp having the money to commission a poll considering his past anemic fundraising. However, if the Hostettler campaign DID commission this poll that is NO BUENO.

The most likely campaign it is from is the Coats campaign, which is good for us because it shows Hostettler so close to Coats.

low preference guy
04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
NO BUENO is not used in spanish. To make sense, you would also have to translate the "is" and put it in the middle. Like this:

However, if the Hostettler campaign DID commission this poll that NO ES BUENO.

Translating "no good" literally doesn't work.

Badger Paul
04-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Excellent, excellent, excellent!

We need to help John Hostettler. You may not agree with him on everything, but big issues, he understands what's going on. And a win by him would send shockwaves through the GOP and help Rand enormously since Indiana and Kentucky are neighboring states.

dr. hfn
04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
damn

KCIndy
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
we need an emergency money bomb for April 24 or around that, 10 days before the election. .

Another note on the Indiana situation: Indiana allows early voting, and it has already started.

IF you live in Indiana, and IF you're not certain you'll be able to vote in the primary for any reason, you can cast your vote right now.

Primaries are notorious for low voter turnout. Just a small handful of votes could be enough to make a difference. Hostettler may not be perfect, but I would rather see him take the seat than have it go to Coats.

Even more so than the general election, this is a case where every vote counts!

itshappening
04-13-2010, 04:41 AM
I cannot believe we have not done more to help Hostettler. If Coats wins this it's a big defeat, he will not vote to audit the Fed or things like that.

Ron Paul should really intervene as Hostettler was a rare GOP NO to war with Iraq

itshappening
04-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Where is CFL and where is Ron Paul

this primary is 3 weeks away and has lots of undecided voters.

Imperial
04-13-2010, 04:58 AM
This close to the election what Hostettler needs is an endorsement from Ron Paul.

itshappening
04-13-2010, 05:03 AM
he needs some help that's for sure. lets try and get him some media coverage and do something for him as no one else seems to want to lift a finger

Don't forget Dan Coats is anti-gun and a terrible "conservative"

Imperial
04-13-2010, 05:07 AM
he needs some help that's for sure. lets try and get him some media coverage and do something for him as no one else seems to want to lift a finger

Don't forget Dan Coats is anti-gun and a terrible "conservative"

Dan Coats has also lobbied for some of the most corrupting groups in Washington. He is the establishment and the problem, a marriage of special interests and government and the personification of the revolving door. It is hard to think of a WORSE candidate. Actually, the only one I can think of is Evan Bayh.

AuH20
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
This close to the election what Hostettler needs is an endorsement from Ron Paul.

Don't forget a magical endorsement from Palin as well. The same little birdie who wrote a letter for Rand, should pick up that pen and parchment again! Palin could singlehandedly swing the primary in the whole other direction with an endorsement.

John Taylor
04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Don't forget a magical endorsement from Palin as well. The same little birdie who wrote a letter for Rand, should pick up that pen and parchment again! Palin could singlehandedly swing the primary in the whole other direction with an endorsement.

Confirmation number: 4#%^$&^%$#%P. An email with your donation details has been sent to #%%^&&^$@gmail.com and you
can print your donation receipt. Donations Coordinator Contact Information
John Hostettler for Senate
contributions@johnhostettler.com

ssforronpaul
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
There haven't even been television ads in this primary, as of early April. It appears to be going solely on name recognition and town hall meetings. Even the debates are at odd times, during the morning or early Saturday afternoon, and so far have only been on the radio. A little push may produce a have a major impact in this contest. Anyone in Indiana who could provide us with more info? Here is Hostettler second web ad, if shortened and played a little on TV or radio may have a big impact:

YouTube - JohnHostettler "What Happened to Dan Coats?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vejA3OSlSwA&feature=player_embedded)

ssforronpaul

KCIndy
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
There haven't even been television ads in this primary, as of early April. It appears to be going solely on name recognition and town hall meetings. Even the debates are at odd times, during the morning or early Saturday afternoon, and so far have only been on the radio. A little push may produce a have a major impact in this contest. Anyone in Indiana who could provide us with more info? Here is Hostettler second web ad, if shortened and played a little on TV or radio may have a big impact:

I live in Indiana, but I watch virtually ZERO television, so I can't comment on whether any ads are running or not.

I do know that I've seen no yard signs - none - for either Coats or Hostettler, which is sort of strange. On the other hand, at least in Indiana, primaries hardly ever garner much attention other than on the local level.

Is there any particular info you're looking for?

ssforronpaul
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for info.

No, just wanted to know if the reports that there is almost nothing going on were true. It is almost unbelievable when you compare it to Kentucky whose primary is several weeks later.

ssforronpaul

Condor Bastadon
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah I remember looking at the conservative voting %'s that Ron is always in the high 90% on....and this Hostettler guy was always in the low-90's. We probably should have gotten behind this guy a while back.

KCIndy
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for info.

No, just wanted to know if the reports that there is almost nothing going on were true. It is almost unbelievable when you compare it to Kentucky whose primary is several weeks later.

ssforronpaul

The only thing I can figure is that the whole Coats vs. Hostettler contest didn't have nearly as much time to gain momentum as Rand Paul vs. WhatsHisName. It was only after Bayh declared - VERY belatedly - that he wasn't going to run that the Indiana senate contest opened up.

I've been encouraging people here to vote early if they think there's ANY chance they're not going to be able to vote on election day. As I said in an earlier post, Indiana is notorious for having weak primary turnouts, especially on non-presidential election years.

I'm guessing there will be under a quarter million votes for Coats and Hostettler combined, which means every vote counts and in terms of each vote being a percentage of the entire race, one's vote is going to count more heavily in the primary than it will in the general election.

If you live in Indiana and you have ANY doubt in your mind whether you'll be able to vote on election day, go to your local courthouse and vote NOW if you're voting for Hostettler!

erowe1
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Ron Paul is endorsing Hostettler. It's definite, and I've been told by those inside the campaign that's it's ok to publicize it. Expect a press release tomorrow.

AuH20
04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Coats made the 'loser' list of weak fundraising:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35981_Page2.html

Dan Coats. Coats, a former U.S. senator, found that his establishment connections didn’t translate into much money: He raised only $379,000 since entering the Indiana Senate race in February. His Democratic opponent, Rep. Brad Ellsworth, easily outdistanced that total, bringing in $625,000.

AuH20
04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
when heavyweights collide!! PAUL vs. DOBSON!!!!!! CFL vs. Focus on the Family! Also, it's a good sign they brought in Dobson. It must be close.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/04/19/james-dobson-ron-paul-step-into-indiana-senate-race/

Focus on the Family founder James Dobson is wading into the Indiana Senate race in a radio ad endorsing Republican Dan Coats, a former senator.

“Dan has been a consistent leader of pro-family causes and a stalwart defender of unborn children. If my wife Shirley and I were Hoosiers, we would definitely vote for Dan Coats in the May 4th primary,” Dobson states in a radio spot that will begin airing statewide Tuesday through early May. “I am excited about the prospect of having him in the Senate again.”

The Colorado-based Focus on the Family is one of the nation’s most prominent evangelical Christian groups. Dobson is no longer its head, and he stressed that his endorsement was personal and not on behalf of any organization.

AuH20
04-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Dems sitting on campaign fodder to use against Coats:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/OpEd-Contributor/Kenneth-Thomlinson-Upset-in-the-making-in-Indiana-GOP-senate-primary-91549854.html

But leading conservatives believe that in the closing days of the campaign Hoosiers will focus political factors that could make Coats a likely underdog against Ellsworth this fall. Coats was one of the few Senate Republicans to vote for the Brady gun control bill—and is certain to be opposed in November by the National Rifle Association.

CNN also reports Democrats have unearthed a news video showing the retired Coats boasting about how much he enjoys living in North Carolina. Critics also are combing through records from Coats recent work as a lobbyist, searching for the names of clients who might be politically embarrassing. It has been 18 years since the Coats name was last on the ballot in Indiana.