PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer Demos Taser on 30 Students

disorderlyvision
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/colorado-officer-uses-taser-on-30-students-at-career-fair/19433734

It wasn't the way the career fair was supposed to go.

A sheriff's deputy in Lake County, Colo., has been placed on one week of unpaid leave after reportedly using a Taser gun on 30 students at a Lake County High School career fair Thursday.

According to Sheriff Edward J. Holte, Deputy John Ortega agreed to demonstrate the electroshock weapon on students after they repeatedly asked him to do so.

While the Taser is used by officers to aid in the arrest process, Holte said, its effects are not severe. "It's similar to being stung twice by a bee," he said.

However, one of the students "tased" by Ortega was taken to the hospital and treated for welts on the skin.

"Actually touching the students with the tools of our trade is not something the department authorized," Holte told AOL News. "The officer should have used better judgment."

Sponsored by the Lion's Club, the annual career fair drew approximately 400 students this year, including seventh- and eighth-graders from Lake County Middle School.

"We are very disappointed with the sheriff's department right now," Cathy Beck, the principal of Lake County High School, told AOL News. "How sad that this extreme lack of judgment has marred what has always been a wonderful event."

School Superintendent Bette Kokenes told AOL News that she reported the incident to the police and has been cooperating with the District Attorney's Office in its investigation to determine if any criminal charges will be filed.

"My No. 1 concern was to make sure all of our kids were OK," Kokenes said.

In the wake of incident, no one from the sheriff's department has contacted the high school or the superintendent's office, according to Beck, Holte and Kokenes.

As for Ortega, "he's a soft-spoken guy and he understands he made a mistake," Holte said. "He's going to kick himself more than I ever could."

The district attorney's office said it would make a determination in the coming week as to whether to press further charges.

Krugerrand
04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
In another news story at Lake County Middle School, 15 members of the junior varsity football team have decided they now want to police officers.

Bruno
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
In another news story at Lake County Middle School, 15 members of the junior varsity football team have decided they now want to police officers.

too close to truth to laugh

Brian4Liberty
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Nothing surprising here. Ever see the show "Jackass"?

At the CA GOP Convention, some young, tough talking war/torture mongers were talking about how water-boarding is nothing, and they would do it (to themselves) in a second. Wish someone would have taken them up on that.

Brian4Liberty
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
However, one of the students "tased" by Ortega was taken to the hospital and treated for welts on the skin.

I wouldn't want to state the obvious about that kid though... ;)

They should combine this with a cardiac health screening. It would be a great way to find those kids with hidden heart problems. :rolleyes:

fisharmor
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
He gets unpaid time for indulging some pestering teenagers.
That's his mistake: if he had just shot them without their asking, he would have been paid for his time off.

Bruno
04-12-2010, 12:03 PM
"As for Ortega, "he's a soft-spoken guy and he understands he made a mistake," Holte said. "He's going to kick himself more than I ever could."

Seems he deserves a kick anyway, considering the jolt 30 kids got.

Reason
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Someone should email him this article...

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/30/local/la-me-taser30-2009dec30

speciallyblend
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
http://leadvillelifestyle.com/?s=taser posted days ago:)

i actually talked to the sheriff and joked can i taser anyone and get a weeks paid vacation,joking of course his answer wasn't funny hehe;) cbs4news had first reported it was paid vacation;)

nate895
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, they did ask for it. Morons

Paulitical Correctness
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
"Ride the lightning"