PDA

View Full Version : CNN asks: "Were Confederate soldiers terrorists?"

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/11/martin.confederate.extremist/index.html?hpt=C2

Kilrain
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
It's so retarded that I can't even get upset. Just lol at it and move on.

furface
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Actually the biggest terrorist in the world is Barrack Obama. This isn't just a hyperbolic statement.

Here's my definition of terrorism:

using fear and the plausible threat of violence to infringe on people's fundamental liberties

No one else in the world comes close in my view. Obama and the US government are tops in this regard. CNN is also an active terrorist supporter under this definition.

Confederate soldiers? Don't make me laugh. Lincoln was the terrorist aggressor in that conflict. Anti-confederacy speech is a common political logical fallacy:

A is immoral. B attacks A, therefore B is moral.

Under this definition since since Saddam attacked Iran, Saddam was moral. Or is it the other way around? God, it's hard to keep track of who we're at war with, Eastasia or Eurasia.

Anti Federalist
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
The Founders sure as hell were, by today's definition.

furface
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
The Founders sure as hell were, by today's definition.

What do you think the following would get you in a federal prison if you posted it on the internet and demonstrated that you had the means and desire to carry it out? Maybe 10 or 20 years?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Krugerrand
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
My understanding was that in the early days of the war, people packed picnic lunches to watch the battles - almost as a form of entertainment. That's hardly a sign of fear in the populace.

Anti Federalist
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
What do you think the following would get you in a federal prison if you posted it on the internet and demonstrated that you had the means and desire to carry it out? Maybe 10 or 20 years?

If you acted on it today, as the founders did then, it would get you just what it got many of the men who signed that document.

Death.

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
What do you think the following would get you in a federal prison if you posted it on the internet and demonstrated that you had the means and desire to carry it out? Maybe 10 or 20 years?Subverting the US federal government is a crime. Yet the Declration of Independence (which has been codified into law) clearly states that we have the right to alter or abolish an oppressive government.

Anti Federalist
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Subverting the US federal government is a crime. Yet the Declration of Independence (which has been codified into law) clearly states that we have the right to alter or abolish an oppressive government.

I don't know that the natural right to rebellion is codified into the USC anywhere.

Not that it matters though.

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't know that the natural right to rebellion is codified into the USC anywhere.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=167622
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/35850

nate895
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Even besides the DoI being part of the law, there is always the 9th amendment, which would presumably include the rights the DoI lists as part of the original intent.

Anti Federalist
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Even besides the DoI being part of the law, there is always the 9th amendment, which would presumably include the rights the DoI lists as part of the original intent.

I'm going through the links that MC listed and still don't see any source material in the USC that shows a citizen's natural right to rebellion.

And yes, I suppose the 9th and 10th could be presumed to "cover" that as well.

But the point is moot.

Once you've determined that the existing government has gone bad and no longer has the legitimate consent of the governed, that it is working against what UEW rightly calls "the civil purpose", what that government's laws or codes or edicts were become as dead and no more relevant than Pharaoh's codes.

Krugerrand
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Subverting the US federal government is a crime. Yet the Declration of Independence (which has been codified into law) clearly states that we have the right to alter or abolish an oppressive government.

perhaps that only covers altering or abolishing the british government.

Vessol
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I've always hated Roland Martin and his pig-face. I remember him attacking Peter Schiff years ago saying the markets were fine.

Anti Federalist
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
perhaps that only covers altering or abolishing the british government.

That's not what the D of I says:

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

BlackTerrel
04-12-2010, 01:15 PM
My understanding was that in the early days of the war, people packed picnic lunches to watch the battles - almost as a form of entertainment. That's hardly a sign of fear in the populace.

No that's a sign of being fucked up in the head.

"Oh let me have a picnic and watch as thousands of people have their head blown off".

tmosley
04-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I must have missed the part of history class where Confederate soldiers wage campaigns of violence against civilians.

Also: flamebait much?

tmosley
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM

"Oh let me have a picnic and watch as thousands of people have their head blown off".

Watch any TV lately?

This is EXACTLY what we humans find entertaining.

Epic
04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
CNN: Was the Declaration of Independence a Terrorist Document?????

Anti Federalist
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Tmosely had it exactly right.

Humans have found violent bloody death to be entertaining for ages.

Even more so now, since now it doesn't require a trip to the battlefield or the coliseum.

All the gore you can possibly handle is just a mouse or remote click away.