PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Stands by Michael Steele: 'He's the First Chairman to at Least Talk to Me'

bobbyw24
04-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.), the tiny libertarian with a huge political following, gave a vote of confidence to embattled RNC Chairman Michael Steele on Monday morning , saying that of all the party chairmen he's known, Steele is the first one open-minded enough to give him and his legions of small-government devotees the time of day.

http://www.dailypaul.com/files/images/ron-paul-steele.jpg

"He's the first Republican chairman who's at least reached out to me, who would at least talk to me," Paul said in an interview with John Roberts and Kieran Chetry on CNN's "American Morning." "Generally the Republican leadership don't want to have anything to do with me or with the Ron Paul people."

Instead ignoring his supporters, Paul said the GOP should be reaching out to them. "They should be looking to us and saying . . . maybe they can be and should be in the Republican Party, instead of leaving them excluded."

The congressman has a devoted band of fellow libertarians who have propelled him to a role of sometimes awkward prominence within the GOP ranks. Although he has no official leadership role in the party, he won the presidential straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference this year and finished second in the straw poll conducted over the weekend at the Southern Political Leadership Conference in New Orleans.

When Roberts asked the congressman if Steele should resign from his role as chairman, Paul said, "I don't think so. I think he's doing a pretty good job. . . . He has imperfections, he's admitted those, we all have those. But to kick him out of office right now, that's not going to happen and it doesn't make any sense."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/12/ron-paul-stands-by-michael-steele-hes-the-first-chairman-to-a/

Stary Hickory
04-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Well it's gotten to the point that Libertarians are too numerous to be ignored any more. Steele is doing what must be done.

Working Poor
04-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Well Steele must be okay if Ron says he is. Wonder why the media is so against him?

raystone
04-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Dr. Paul's patience, forgiveness, and willingness to work with these GOP hacks is unmatched. Considering, after Steele was asked to comment on Ron Paul after a presidential debate, Steele's response on national TV was "He's done". Matt Collins should take note.

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Matt Collins should take note.Hey I'm willing to work with ANYONE who wants to advance the cause of liberty :)

raystone
04-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey I'm willing to work with ANYONE who wants to advance the cause of liberty :)

The point is Dr. Paul is continually trying to communicate, educate, and persuade those who don't understand liberty, including Steele. He uses his position to influence, rather than choosing not to shake hands with them.

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 08:18 AM
He uses his position to influence, rather than choosing not to shake hands with them.But keep in mind when offered to dine with some big-wigs he did say "I don't want to break bread with those people" or something to that effect. :)

Romulus
04-12-2010, 08:19 AM
This is why the man is great. He inclusive, not exclusive. More people need to have that attitude, and maybe we see more uniting than dividing.

Working Poor
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Steele's response on national TV was "He's done".

can you provide a link for that statement?

Working Poor
04-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Elwar
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM

YouTube - Taking a trip down Memory Lane- Post GOP Debate coverage Fox News Style Ron Paul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_n1BFKhk8)

2:05

AggieforPaul
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
This is a good move by Paul. If Paul wins the nomination and Obama's camp brings up the newsletters and calls Paul a racist, having a black party chairman dismiss the claims as ridiculous would be in Paul's favor. Much better than having an all white group of allies help him deny the charges.

StateofTrance
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Half of the neocons are racist any way. He knows Paulites aren't.

Jack Bauer
04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Pretty shocking to me.

You can disagree with him all you want but ignoring a man who is a part of your party is ridiculous.

The least the "family values" neocons could do is respect his age, seniority and experience.

Bunch of hypocrites! Family values my royal ass.

The GOP establishment desperately needs to attend a HR 101 class.

DaisyFL
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
He uses his position to influence, rather than choosing not to shake hands with them.

Who did Matt Collins refuse to shake hands with?

Deborah K
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey I'm willing to work with ANYONE who wants to advance the cause of liberty :)

Don't be so quick to trust him. I remember a couple of years ago, he made a comment on a news show that was very dismissive of the Constitution. I can't find it and I can't remember it verbatim but it disturbed me to no end. I don't trust him at all!

silentshout
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
This is why the man is great. He inclusive, not exclusive. More people need to have that attitude, and maybe we see more uniting than dividing.

I think the entire GOP could learn from that. I know they aren't a big tent party (purity test anyone? no thanks), but I don't see what the heck is wrong with inclusion.

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Republican Congressman "ZigZag" Zach Wamp of TN. He is running for Governor of TN and claims to be a conservative. But yet he voted for the bailout, voted for Cash 4 Clunkers, and also wants to unionize all fire/police etc across the country (HR-413).

The guy should be in a federal prison work camp trying to pay back all of the money he has unconstitutionally voted to spend. It's people like him that give 98% of the other Republicans a bad name; hypocrisy at its worst! :mad:

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Don't be so quick to trust him. I remember a couple of years ago, he made a comment on a news show that was very dismissive of the Constitution. I can't find it and I can't remember it verbatim but it disturbed me to no end. I don't trust him at all!Oh I don't trust many at this point in time. Rhetoric and action are two different things for sure.

John Taylor
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM

I remember it.

It's not that Steele was wrong, about how that primary went, he accurately guaged the Republican base... he was just wrong about the lasting power and future influence of the movement.

iddo
04-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Yes, but Steele backtracked a few weeks later and said "I think Ron Paul has established his legitimacy in this race." (link (youtube.com/watch?v=-eYXscpNpZk))

John Taylor
04-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Matt Collins tried to rectify the damage done by interventionism and the Treaty of Verseilles after WWI, but after shaking President Woodrow Wilson's hand, the predictable progressive promptly stroked-out, prompting the security details for other world leaders to prevent Matt Collin's approach.

Original_Intent
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, but Steele backtracked a few weeks later and said "I think Ron Paul has established his legitimacy in this race." (link (youtube.com/watch?v=-eYXscpNpZk))

that was after two weeks of email/phone bombing of his office. :)

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Matt Collins tried to rectify the damage done by interventionism and the Treaty of Verseilles after WWI, but after shaking President Woodrow Wilson's hand, the predictable progressive promptly stroked-out, prompting the security details for other world leaders to prevent Matt Collin's approach.
Yeah, and there are no photos or video of that one either ;):p

Old Ducker
04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
The point is Dr. Paul is continually trying to communicate, educate, and persuade those who don't understand liberty, including Steele. He uses his position to influence, rather than choosing not to shake hands with them.

Exactly. I am in awe of his diplomatic talent, all without compromising anything.

gls
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
It's nice that Ron is being diplomatic and all but Steele is a huge embarassment to the party (and that is not an easy feat). It's like the nomination of McCain in 2008. Is this really the best the Republicans can do?