PDA

View Full Version : More soldiers committed suicide in January than killed by Al Qaeda

disorderlyvision
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/02/05/2009-02-05_more_soldiers_committed_suicide_in_janua.html

Shocking new figures show the number of soldiers who committed suicide in January could top the number of soldiers killed in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan last month.

In a rare move, the Army released monthly suicide data Thursday to highlight the growing problem. Last week, Army officials said its suicide rates were at their highest in nearly 30 years.

Last year, 128 soldiers committed suicide and another 15 suspected cases are pending. Last month, Army officials believe that 24 soldiers killed themselves - compared with just four in January 2008.

If those cases are confirmed as suicides - and officials said they usually are - that rate would be higher than the 16 combat deaths reported last month in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The trend and trajectory seen in January further heightens the seriousness and urgency that all of us must have in preventing suicides," Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Chiarelli said.

Army brass said they would hold suicide prevention training for all soldiers from Feb. 15 to March 15.

Veterans advocates said the new figures were "staggering" but also part of a larger problem. They said the numbers don't take into account how many soldiers commit suicide after leaving the military.

"In January, we lost more soldiers to suicide than to Al Qaeda," said Paul Rieckhoff, executive director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.

"If we lost this many soldiers to an enemy weapon, the entire country would know about it and we would demand defensive measures."

Romulus
04-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Sad.

BlackTerrel
04-12-2010, 12:49 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/oct/21/science/sci-suicide21

Last year, 128 soldiers committed suicide and another 15 suspected cases are pending.

A new six-year analysis in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that the U.S. suicide rate rose to 11 per 100,000 people in 2005

Always take these numbers with a grain of salt. I think there are about 1.5 million active duty US military. If that's the case then

Total US population 11 per 100,000 suicide
US Military 9 per 100,000 suicide

Which is actually lower than the civilian rate of suicide. Now there are probably some issues here like gender and age that I frankly don't have the time or patience to get into. Either way - it doesn't seem to be more a problem in the military than it does the population at large.

I always try to see the bigger picture of any news story. I don't mistrust the MSM like many here. I take them at their word just like in this story nothing they said is false or a lie (otherwise it would be easy to expose them) rather by not giving you the whole picture they paint a particular agenda.

wrestlingwes_8
04-12-2010, 01:01 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/oct/21/science/sci-suicide21

Always take these numbers with a grain of salt. I think there are about 1.5 million active duty US military. If that's the case then

Total US population 11 per 100,000 suicide
US Military 9 per 100,000 suicide

Which is actually lower than the civilian rate of suicide. Now there are probably some issues here like gender and age that I frankly don't have the time or patience to get into. Either way - it doesn't seem to be more a problem in the military than it does the population at large.

I always try to see the bigger picture of any news story. I don't mistrust the MSM like many here. I take them at their word just like in this story nothing they said is false or a lie (otherwise it would be easy to expose them) rather by not giving you the whole picture they paint a particular agenda.

Thanks for the good information!

Zippyjuan
04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
It also shows how low the war casulties are. Over 58,000 US soldiers were killed in Vietnam which is now a shorter war than the ones we are in now. In 1968, over 16,00 died- less than the total for the Iraq/ Afghanistan wars to date.