PDA

View Full Version : Letter to My Family

TheIndependent
10-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Here's what I wrote tonight to my family. Just FYI, I only redacted certain parts of this post due to potential conflicts of interest given my position in my profession. I prefer to remain private.

Also, you'll note that I tailored this to my audience: Typically pro-war but fiscally conservative and somewhat socially tolerant.

---

Dear Family --

I just wanted to start out by saying that this isn't a form letter. I've been working in politics (typically conservative) for (redacted) years now, have been involved in politics since I (redacted), and wrote this out of my own extensive research and conclusions regarding the Republicans in the 2008 election cycle.

I'm a Ron Paul supporter and have been for many years before this campaign, through my intensive reading of his works regarding the economy, social issues, foreign policy, and American history, and watching the many debates and dialogues with the now-candidate. I urge you to read this email, if only to placate me just this once.

I went to Paul's rally here in (redacted) with my wife (redacted) a couple of weeks ago, and it was like walking into a microcosm of America: 1,200 Americans from all walks of society: Everyday families, middle-class blue collar workers, professionals, younger guys with their (sometimes even more enthusiastic) girlfriends, folks of all races, creeds and political affiliations, all excited about the same candidate. It was actually pretty awesome and surreal. Everyone was optimistic and hopeful that perhaps--just perhaps--there was hope for the future in removing the power grab that the government's been able to wrest from its citizens through rising taxation (including that of the inflationary tax), increased spending, and the loss of our civil liberties. It was true unity; more than I'd ever seen in my (redacted) years.

The main aspect about Paul I find refreshing is the rather educated and principled manner he conducts himself in, and he brings to light salient points to a lot of today's issues that are hidden from view in mainstream politics such as the exhorbitant national debt, monetary policy and the hidden inflationary tax, Constitutional adherence, disparate rates of minority incarceration, pushing for a more colorblind society, and the future economic health of the country. He's a no-bullshit kind of guy, which you can see in his debates or reading his writings. He deserves your eyes even for a brief moment.

Here's something even more troubling for your consideration:

---

From "The Nation", on the October 9th, 2007 Republican debates:

The GOP presidential debate in Detroit today was ostensibly about the economy (more on that later). Soon enough, however, the topic turned to foreign policy, most notably Iran.

Moderator Chris Matthews asked the contenders if they believed a future president possessed the the authority to attack Iran without Congressional approval.

Apparently unaware that the Constitution gives only Congress the power to declare war, the GOP candidates answered, by and large, yes. They could attack Iran, if it posed an imminent threat, without consulting the Congress.

Mitt Romney said he'd have to check with his lawyers. But he vowed to "take action necessary to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons." By my recollection, all the rest of the candidates said pretty much the same thing.

Only Ron Paul, as has so often been the case in the debates, forcefully dissented. "Why don't we just open up the Constitution and read it!" said an exasperated Paul. "The idea that Iran is on the verge of an imminent attack is just preposterous!"

He summed up the foreign policy views of his competitors thusly: "This is just war propaganda!"
(More detailed information: http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20071010/cm_thenation/1241385)

---

In my opinion, we need this guy in the race. Our Constitution--the very rule of law governing the powers of the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches--is under continual attack through runaway spending and unconstitutional changes, and as you can see it'll only become worse should any of the other Republican candidates but Paul make it through the primaries. When I donated to a political candidate for the first time in my life, it's pretty obvious now who I gave that very considerable chunk of change to, and I'll continue to with every paycheck. This country needs someone with the funding to foment the change this country needs in order to bring us back to Constitutional principles, united social and religious tolerance, and sound economic policy into prosperity. His name's Ron Paul, and he needs our help.

Also I encourage you to see:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
http://rp4.us/2007/10/09/after-the-michigan-debate-ron-paul-speaks-to-a-rally-of-over-2000-people/
http://splat.chowda.net/fundraiser/
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/

And, as for how you can help, just spread the word to as many people as you possibly can, in email, in person, or any other means. If anyone has any questions about any position Ron Paul has, let me know and I'll field them with details. I'm not working for the campaign or even involved in it other than being an individual supporter, but our futures are at stake quite frankly and I feel it's my obligation to get the word out about this growing grassroots effort to show people that there is an alternative to the course we're currently going down.

I can also provide any signs or other materials if you feel his candidacy is one you support--I'll pay for it out of my own money. Just let me know.

Thank you so much for reading.

Sincerely,
(Real Name Here)

TechnoGuyRob
10-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Wait, what? Your family? Can't you just tell them? O.o

austin356
10-10-2007, 12:31 AM
well put, well said, well done!

TheIndependent
10-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Wait, what? Your family? Can't you just tell them? O.o

I happen to live 350mi from my nearest relative, and my distribution list spanned about 1,150 miles.

I'm preparing a followup for my second-amendment-lovin' relatives right now.

jjschless
10-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Good work. My family taught me that generosity and kindness start at home and I don't know of anything more generous than a providing a good solution to a bad problem.

TheIndependent
10-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Good work. My family taught me that generosity and kindness start at home and I don't know of anything more generous than a providing a good solution to a bad problem.

jjschless, I just wanted to let you know...most of my family is up there in the Fox Valley of Central Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan.

jjschless
10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
jjschless, I just wanted to let you know...most of my family is up there in the Fox Valley of Central Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan.

An very nice. The Fox Valley meet-up is pretty much the best we have in the state at the moment. :D

I am working to improve Milwaukee of course. :o

TheIndependent
10-10-2007, 12:54 AM
An very nice. The Fox Valley meet-up is pretty much the best we have in the state at the moment. :D

I am working to improve Milwaukee of course. :o

I'll try and get my brother to visit the Fox Valley meetup if its in Appleton. :D He's newly in-love and somewhat against driving too far in his smittenness. ;)

In fact, I just sent him the appropriate link.

jjschless
10-10-2007, 12:59 AM
It is in Appleton. :D