PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Unions Pray for NJ Governor's Death...

Light
04-10-2010, 09:04 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/unholy_nj_BailThvJGGa7EUiOqO2QaK#ixzz0kkfcnAai

Unholy NJ death wishers
Fury as teachers 'pray to slay' Christie
By CARL CAMPANILE

Last Updated: 9:00 AM, April 10, 2010

Posted: 2:43 AM, April 10, 2010

A furious New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie yesterday tore into the state's teachers union for circulating a memo that featured a prayer for his death.

"To pray for my death" is "beyond the pale," said Christie, who has long been waging war against the New Jersey Education Association.

The newly elected Republican governor made it clear that he was speaking about the union leaders, not the state's teachers.

"I'm sure there are teachers all across New Jersey who . . . are going to be ashamed. Ashamed to be a part of a union leadership that would actually pray for the death of an elected official," Christie said.

"I wonder what the children of New Jersey will think when the leadership of the teachers union is praying for the governor to die?"

The NJEA memo included a mock "prayer" suggesting Christie should suffer the same fate as Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson and celebrity pitchman Billy Mays, all of whom recently died.

It was signed by NJEA field representatives and distributed to union members in Bergen County, The Record of Hackensack reported.

The note also was posted on an NJEA Facebook page called "New Jersey Teachers United Against Governor Chris Christie's Pay Freeze," which has 67,000 members.

Trying to blunt a public-relations disaster, NJEA President Barbara Keshishian condemned the inflammatory joke and apologized to Christie.

"Language such as that has no place in civil discourse. It was intended as humor, but it's not funny," Keshishian said in a statement.

"Our ongoing discussion with Gov. Christie is centered on serious issues of significant importance to the state, and that must be the focus of all our conversation. We deeply regret that the 'prayer' reference was included in the letter, and we apologize to Gov. Christie for both the content of the 'prayer' and the lack of respect it demonstrated," she said.

One union official said the prayer was never meant to go public.

But Christie didn't let union leaders off the hook.

"They have finally lifted their veil. I don't think it's a threat. I think it's a wish. A wish in some ways might be more perverse than a threat," Christie said.

"They said they didn't intend it to be public," he said. "So private prayer for my death would have been OK? Public prayer for my death somehow is not OK?"

Christie said the incendiary remarks confirmed his assertion that NJEA leaders are "the bullies of State Street," where most state government offices are located in Trenton.

The governor said New Jersey's educational system has been living large and costs must be reined in during tough times.

He said employment in Garden State schools shot up 16 percent the past eight years -- five times more than the modest 3 percent increase in student enrollment.

"There's work to be done, but candidly I don't think the work needs to be done on my side. When you have the leadership of this place so out of touch that they're praying for the death of an elected official . . . I think they need to re-evaluate who they are and what they're doing," Christie said.

In order to close a yawning budget deficit, Christie has proposed to slash state aid to school districts by $820 million and urged teachers to accept a one-year pay freeze.

The union rejects cuts and pay freezes, and is circulating another letter to members saying they have "no confidence" in Christie.

In his campaign for governor last year against Democrat Jon Corzine, Christie made it clear he wouldn't be the teachers union's pet and slammed the NJEA as defenders of a failed status quo.

carl.campanile@nypost.com

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
The teacher union, especially in NJ, disgusts me. It should be disbanded. This isn't the first time they did childish things like this. They make it clear they care more about their salaries than actually doing their jobs. I can say this because I went through the whole public NJ education system. Most of the teachers were union trash, and I'm pretty sure almost every teacher is in the union through coercion, stuff like being forced to pay teacher union dues even if you are not part of the union.

Anti Federalist
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Wonder if this will get reported outside of the NYC metro area?

Wonder if the MSM will interview union "leaders" and ask them loaded questions about how they are promoting violence?

Wonder if they will be investigated for conspiracy?

I doubt it...

Stary Hickory
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
The teachers Union is scum. They are the reason our kids are suffering. They take all the resources and get fat off them "for the kids"

I am so sick of Union thugs I don't know what to do.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Their prayer:

"Dear Lord: This year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays.....I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor."

t0rnado
04-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I didn't expect Christie to actually cut the budget, but he's standing up to the union pressure. Too bad that new teachers will lose their jobs instead of old, tenured dinosaurs that do nothing.

The entire public education system in this country is a fraud anyways.

Working Poor
04-11-2010, 01:23 AM
I once heard about a union teacher who was accused of sexual abuse that was suspended with pay and is still being paid full pay at the tax payers expense because of how the union is structured

Slutter McGee
04-11-2010, 01:31 AM
I once heard about a union teacher who was accused of sexual abuse that was suspended with pay and is still being paid full pay at the tax payers expense because of how the union is structured

It is the New York teachers union. even worse that New Jersey

Slutter McGee

bkreigh
04-11-2010, 02:25 AM

important word there. i guess we dont believe in innocent until proven guilty here? :confused:

nobody's_hero
04-11-2010, 05:26 AM
In the meantime, they could be starting their own schools if they thought they could do better.

Unfortunately, the State kills the entrepreneur in all of us—even our teachers.

jkr
04-11-2010, 06:18 AM
and WE are fringe?

wOw

LibertarianfromGermany
04-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Their prayer:

"Dear Lord: This year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays.....I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor."

Not bad tbh, it is quite funny. Quite stupid too though as a move in politics. There's a lot of things wrong with that union and the power it assumes, but a funny joke isn't one of those things.

PS: I'm not gonna even start talking about public education in Germany. It's a complete and utter disaster; we have actually too few teachers (no homeschooling allowed, everyone HAS to go to public school if unable to pay for a private) and those that we have are paid quite well (and get huge benefits extra), but being a teacher is kinda looked down upon here, you only become a teacher if you fail at what you wanted to be initially.

Cowlesy
04-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Chris Christie is pissing off a lot of tax-feeders in New Jersey.

His stock is rising in my book.