PDA

View Full Version : 2010 SRLC: A Narrow Loss for Team Liberty's starting Quarterback

doctor jones
04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Ron Paul lost the 2010 SRLC straw poll because of me. I didn't go to cast the deciding vote. I should have bought a plane ticket and sacrificed a weekend in my beloved New York City to be there for my own freedoms, and to be there for Ron Paul, a man who has dedicated his life to restoring liberty for all of us.

Now that I've acknowledged my own fault in this loss, allow me to examine a few other thoughts of mine on the campaign to unite freedom lovers come the 2012 presidential election.

Subject: Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson might be one of the best modern day governors I know of. What little I know about him seems to be favorable and we should definitly keep tabs on him for the future. I hope he continues to be a voice for freedom moving forward. The problem is, Gary if you are reading this, 18 people, likely of which were Campaign For Liberty members, voted for you thus leaving all the headlines to Mitt Romney. Ron Paul has been plowing the fields of liberty with his blood and sweat for 40 years, and Gary Johnson basically just showed up in comparison. I love Gary Johnson and when it's his time I'll vote for him and send him money, but today he took 18 votes away from Ron Paul.

I don't know what a win here would have meant politically. One can only speculate. But no money bomb buys the publicity that comes with a conference win of this magnitude.

If we can spin this positively, I wouldn't say that it's "we competed" with the buses of paid Romney voters and beat the likes of Palin, but that you can't take any of these things for granted. Let's wake up and not relax. Victory in elections to come will take relentless organized political action by members of YAL & C4L. We need to make it clear, we are voting for Ron Paul not because he shares our religion or personal lifestyle, we vote for him because of the philosophy and issues he speaks to along with the decades of votes to back it up. This is a war for the soul of America, and for now Governor Johnson, our starting quarterback is Ron Paul.

sofia
04-10-2010, 08:35 PM
dont feel bad...

the game was rigged. Your one vote....and Johnson's 18....would only mean that they would have given Romney 19 more.

call me a "conspiracy theorist".....but you have to realize how EVIL these people are. They are capable of anything

doctor jones
04-10-2010, 08:42 PM
dont feel bad...

the game was rigged. Your one vote....and Johnson's 18....would only mean that they would have given Romney 19 more.

call me a "conspiracy theorist".....but you have to realize how EVIL these people are. They are capable of anything

I don't buy that. How do you explain CPAC? I was there, I know how they counted votes cause I knew one of the guys counting (who isn't for or against Ron Paul). These things aren't always conspiracies.

silverhandorder
04-10-2010, 08:45 PM
It is not a conspiracy and I do not blame Gary Johnson. Look at it this way. If Palin was not in the running many neocons would have supported Romney over Ron Paul.

This is the message we must draw the media is still trying to marginalize us and so we must fight harder.

sofia
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't buy that. How do you explain CPAC? I was there, I know how they counted votes cause I knew one of the guys counting (who isn't for or against Ron Paul). These things aren't always conspiracies.

I dont think CPAC is as beholden to the GOP machine as the SRLC is....plus, after CPAC...the GOP was scared and started taking RP seriously.

The 1 vote margin just doesnt smell right to me.

doctor jones
04-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I dont think CPAC is as beholden to the GOP machine as the SRLC is....plus, after CPAC...the GOP was scared and started taking RP seriously.

CPAC gave a standing O to Dick Cheney.

silverhandorder
04-10-2010, 09:01 PM

If they could fix it they would have made Paul 5th.

TER
04-10-2010, 09:05 PM
do not be despondent. Make this strengthen your resolve! Let this kindle the fire within you! Personally, I'm going to donate to Rand right now in honor of those who made the sacrifice I was unable to make.

sofia
04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
If they could fix it they would have made Paul 5th.

that would be too obvious..

my hunch is thay RP won by about 100 votes

silverhandorder
04-10-2010, 09:28 PM
that would be too obvious..

my hunch is thay RP won by about 100 votes

Alright and by one vote is not obvious?

johnrocks
04-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Why the lost by one vote? I heard several RP supporters arrived late and couldn't register, mistakes like that is unacceptable.

nobody's_hero
04-11-2010, 05:19 AM
I think Ron did fairly well considering that this was a more 'establishment'-catered event.

I was very pleased with all the cheers he got for speaking. That means that perhaps even the people who are not selecting Ron as a first-choice appreciate what he has to say. This is an improvement over last campaign, when people were basically told by the establishment to hate Ron Paul, so they simply hated him.

LibertarianfromGermany
04-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Alright and by one vote is not obvious?

Exactly. If you can manipulate it, at least make it by 15 or 20, 1 vote is just a retarded strategy if you're able to manipulate it.

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 06:53 AM
The theory of rigging is nonsense. A 1 vote lead invites a recount and exposure of the rigging. The company that performs the polling would not risk its reputation so that Romney could win a straw poll.

doctor jones
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Even if it was rigged it just means we didn't beat them by enough. We need to beat them by 500 votes not just 1 or 2 so it's impossible to give away the win to someone else.

speciallyblend
04-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Doctor Jones i hear you. we have starting quarterbacks locally for 2010 and 2011 and in 2012 with or without the gop my quarterback is RON PAUL 2012, take our votes to the credit union:)

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I was there, read what I had to say:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=34512

Imperial
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
There are more significant lessons to take from this:

1) Ron Paul's GOP support is NOT broad-based- you need to look at the 2nd preference question on the poll.

2) Johnson and Paul cannot survive the primaries together.

http://libertyticker.blogspot.com/2010/04/postmortem-on-srlc.html

But more importantly for Paul, check out his weak showing for second picks. In fact, for 2nd place pick, Dr. Paul had the LOWEST support with 5%. What this basically means is that Ron Paul has an independent constituency in the Republican Party- its overlap doesn't extend as far with other Republicans. Looking strategically, Ron Paul needs to have a crowded race with more establishment Republicans splitting votes. Otherwise, a Palin, Gingrich, or Romney when one of them dropped out could consolidate a massive lead over the eccentric Paul. The only hope for a Ron Paul presidential bid is to come out in 2012 with strong showings in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. The deeper in the race he gets, the harder time he will have with less opposition. Kinda ironic, huh?

doctor jones
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
There are more significant lessons to take from this:

1) Ron Paul's GOP support is NOT broad-based- you need to look at the 2nd preference question on the poll.

2) Johnson and Paul cannot survive the primaries together.

http://libertyticker.blogspot.com/2010/04/postmortem-on-srlc.html

I agree, you only get one vote, so naturally Johnson and Paul would split one another