PDA

View Full Version : Mitt did not win, WE Lost it for Ron

UtahApocalypse
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Earlier today there was a report of at least 40 that is FORTY Ron Paul supporters that decided not to show up today until the last minute. When they did the straw poll was indeed still going on, however the registration had closed at 1:00.

Had these forty people not been late we would have won this by 38 votes. This was our loss, and not Mitt's win. WE are to blame for letting down Ron Paul.

I don't know who they were, i dont know what the excuse was for coming late. i just know that this was our to lose, and we did.

John Taylor
04-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Earlier today there was a report of at least 40 that is FORTY Ron Paul supporters that decided not to show up today until the last minute. When they did the straw poll was indeed still going on, however the registration had closed at 1:00.

Had these forty people not been late we would have won this by 38 votes. This was our loss, and not Mitt's win. WE are to blame for letting down Ron Paul.

I don't know who they were, i dont know what the excuse was for coming late. i just know that this was our to lose, and we did.

Imbeciles. One person voted for Gary Johnson as well... That's the tie right there.

RileyE104
04-10-2010, 05:11 PM
God this pisses me off so bad.. I should have done something to find a way to get there.. :mad:

malkusm
04-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, they should have shown up on time. However - how many Romney supporters didn't show up on time and cost Romney votes? All the variables were equal on either side. Both sides had an equal opportunity to get their people there or not.

My issue is....one vote?! I have a hard time believing it from the standpoint of vote-counting integrity....

speciallyblend
no worries we do not need stinkin straw polls. I went to my assembly today and a RON PAUL REPUBLICAN WON the real delegate poll with 16 out of 25 votes:)

the gop knows what is up, if they do not follow soon. then they can get out of the way;)

wgadget
And god knows, a vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for Ron Paul, right?

Inkblots
04-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Imbeciles. One person voted for Gary Johnson as well... That's the tie right there.

Heh, I laughed when I saw that in the results. Oh, what might have been ;)

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Dont trip dude, say Ron had won by one vote the media would still be focusing on Mitt.

I honestly didnt think Ron would make the top 3, this is good news man. The 1 vote forces media outlets to mention him!

wgadget
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
BTW, how did Mitt do in the CPAC straw poll?

Can we take a running average?

MelissaWV
04-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Dont trip dude, say Ron had won by one vote the media would still be focusing on Mitt.

I honestly didnt think Ron would make the top 3, this is good news man. The 1 vote forces media outlets to mention him!

And yet... they're not.

raiha
04-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Carl Cameron said Ron Paul provided cut rates for his followers on his web page. Do we know whether the others did anything similar?

HOLLYWOOD
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
The only reason Ron didn't WIN by a substantial amount, was exposing Mitt Romney as a Liar, Crony Corporatist, and political Liberal.

Romney destroyed many many companies/corporations as the #1 at BAIN CAPITAL

Romney sent more jobs overseas than any other single company...

Romney raided the Over-Funded Pensions of workers to profit on acquisitions

RomneyCare is over a Billion in the RED from a small state like Massachusetts and even the National Health Care bailout bill had $610 Million to pay doctors owed money from Failed Romney Care.

Manchurian Mitt is into Mandates, even on record/video... he's no Libertarian/Constitutionalist/Conservative

Mitt's another Military Industrial Complex War Monger.

The guys track record is horrible as a Republican or so-called conservative.

Expose this Fraudster with all your might!

dr. hfn
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
whoever decided to show up late is fucking moron!

charrob
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
If Ron Paul does decide to run in 2012, I'm not sure what the best way is to get the word out, to advertise, maybe put on banners: for antiwar democrats to change their registration in plenty of time for the primaries.

I was going to vote for Ron Paul in 2008 in the general election, but it had never occurred to me to change my registration for the primaries until the last minute-- and then it was too late. So, as a democrat who wanted to see a Ron Paul win, I was unable to vote for him in the primaries.

At the recent D.C. peace march, we wore our Ron Paul t-shirts and many many democrats had good words to say about Dr. Paul. If we could get those democrats to think about changing their registration in plenty of time before the primaries start, Ron Paul would win in a landslide. And it would be older 50-somethings like myself who lived through Vietnam that would file over in large masses if they are reminded to do so in time.

Zack
04-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm dirt poor, live all the way in Los Angeles, have no car and have never even travelled that far East.. and even I was spending time thinking about a way for me to get over there so I could vote.

Yet of all the gazzilions of people who actually lived within borrowed-car driving distance- or had travelling money and Saturday off- we got 438 teeny tiny little votes and lost by one vote. What's done is done. I just really hope this causes some of the "online only activists" and people who just didn't think it was worth their time- not to feel bad- but to do some real soul searching. And to remember this day for the rest of their lives.

Ninja Homer
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Carl Cameron said Ron Paul provided cut rates for his followers on his web page. Do we know whether the others did anything similar?

From what I heard, Romney had buses and free tickets.

TC95
04-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Why did Romney not even show up then? Why would he spend money on buses and tickets like he thinks he deserves to win when he's not even willing to show up? What a jerk! :mad:

silus
04-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Relax. Second place is ideal.

cybloo
04-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Relax. Second place is ideal.

Indeed. It's a hard one for the media to dismiss.

RM918
04-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Why did Romney not even show up then? Why would he spend money on buses and tickets like he thinks he deserves to win when he's not even willing to show up? What a jerk! :mad:

Because he thought he'd lose, or would not win it handily. This is why there's media saying it's important because he barely won, but 'he was not even there'.

Ireland4Liberty
04-10-2010, 06:35 PM
People need to chill out its a straw poll. You cant dismiss it as easy now at least.

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry guys, my District convention was today and I absolutely HAD to be there. My treasurer and I would have been the 2 that put us over the top, but I had to be at the convention running for State House and all..... :(

phill4paul
04-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry guys, my District convention was today and I absolutely HAD to be there. My treasurer and I would have been the 2 that put us over the top, but I had to be at the convention running for State House and all..... :(

Seems like you were doing what you NEED to be doing. Others. Meh.

HOLLYWOOD
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Evidence? Video? Someone has to have a camera phone shooting the the Romney "Compensated" voters/Mittards.

Mitt Romney did the exact same thing in Nevada during the 2008 Nevada Primary Caucus.

"Buses and Bucks... the New RomneyCare!"

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Very interesting. Do you have any links on that?

Slutter McGee
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I dont know why you guys are so upset about this. It certainly doesn't detract from the worry the GOP has of us. The election is a few years away. We don't need to win everything. We just need to show up for everything.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

phill4paul
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I dont know why you guys are so upset about this. It certainly doesn't detract from the worry the GOP has of us. The election is a few years away. We don't need to win everything. We just need to show up for everything.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Truthfully I had a ten hour day at work and was really looking forward to seeing a win. Honestly, after a few beers it's all good. At least Sideburns can't denounce strawpolls at this point so we'll look forward to the next.

jbuttell
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
If Ron Paul does decide to run in 2012, I'm not sure what the best way is to get the word out, to advertise, maybe put on banners: for antiwar democrats to change their registration in plenty of time for the primaries.

I was going to vote for Ron Paul in 2008 in the general election, but it had never occurred to me to change my registration for the primaries until the last minute-- and then it was too late. So, as a democrat who wanted to see a Ron Paul win, I was unable to vote for him in the primaries.

Even if you did register for primaries in time, like I did, it doesn't mean the incompetent workers in our government would actually update your info to reflect that you're now elegible to vote for a republican. That's what happened to me and apparently many other people who switched to republican (from libertarian) to vote for Ron in the primaries. I'm just going to stay Republican for this cycle, so that does't happen again.

FreedomProsperityPeace
04-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Dr. Paul was still mentioned in the coverage on CNN. :D Sarah Palin was trounced but she still was the focus, so the MSM will report things the way they want regardless of the outcome. :rolleyes:

Chester Copperpot
04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought the media said the straw poll was meaningless. hah

JP2010
04-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Indeed. It's a hard one for the media to dismiss.
The win by Mitt by one vote will get loads of play in the media, with the second place by Ron Paul.

Chieftain1776
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Evidence? Video? Someone has to have a camera phone shooting the the Romney "Compensated" voters/Mittards.

Mitt Romney did the exact same thing in Nevada during the 2008 Nevada Primary Caucus.

"Buses and Bucks... the New RomneyCare!"

We know for a fact that 200 tickets were given away for free and 800 books by friends of Mittens while:

...the C4L got its hands on more than 600 tickets, it did not give them away. Paul supporters had to chip in to come and vote in the straw poll. And on the first day of the straw poll, the trickle of Paul voters was just that -- a trickle, nothing like the overwhelming presence that got Paul a resounding (if fairly meaningless) victory.

By contrast, Nancy French's Evangelicals for Mitt has been offering around 200 tickets for free, for anyone who wants to come and support Mitt Romney. At the party before Sean Hannity's live taping of his TV show, French's group handed out 800 copies of their man's book, "No Apology," and countless piggy banks. It's hard to say how many of the people grabbing those favors will back Romney -- one woman I spoke to, clutching two piggy banks, snorted when I asked if she'd vote for Romney. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/04/the_srlc_straw_poll_up_for_gra.html

Andrew-Austin
04-10-2010, 08:41 PM
People seem to be mad just because they were excited about the idea of SUPER-PWNING the poll. Its not that big of a deal. Second place might not be ideal (though I can imagine why some might say it is), but its not like it would be some kind of major obstacle of setback for a RP Presidential run. I can't see how Mittens will be going anywhere in the next Presidential election anyways.

lynnf
04-10-2010, 09:02 PM
on the late people: a similar thing happened at the Townhall Straw Poll in Ft. Worth in 2007. A whole bus of people coming from out of town (Houston, maybe?) was said to have stopped for lunch, putting them past the 1pm or so deadline for registration. ya snooze, ya lose. whole bus of Ron Paul people disqualified from voting.

lynn

lx43
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
A second place victory, especially by 1 vote, is still an excellent showing against a big money backer like Mitt (Flip Flop) Romney whose organization has been promoting this for months. RP backers only had 3 to 4 week to plan and organize this thing when Ron decided to go.

Romney is a very weak candidate to running against anyway; ie, think RomneyCare, his comments about consulting a lawyer instead of the constitution. Must I go on with how weak a candidate he is? lol

Dan Chisholm
04-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Once again, Mitt and Ron Paul show that they are the only two candidates with the grassroot support needed to win a primary. It's great that HuckPac actually spent money on this and get still did so terribly. Mitt and his PAC didn't spend a dime (http://mittromneycentral.com/2010/04/08/evangelical-for-mitt-get-covered-by-the-big-media-at-srlc/) and neither did Ron Paul. Grassroots rule the day again!

Michigan11
04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Excellent, Ron WON CPAC, then lost this straw poll by 1 or 2 votes.. I remember when this movement was lucky to get Ron's name mentioned. This is getting very serious hahahaha. 2nd is right where we want to be in this poll, it legitamizes these polls, and the CPAC.

Thank you to everyone in this movement still pressing hard and spreading the word. Ron Paul rocks! We are winning.

raiha
04-10-2010, 09:33 PM
The only reason Ron didn't WIN by a substantial amount, was exposing Mitt Romney as a Liar, Crony Corporatist, and political Liberal.

RomneyCare is over a Billion in the RED from a small state like Massachusetts and even the National Health Care bailout bill had $610 Million to pay doctors owed money from Failed Romney Care.

Manchurian Mitt is into Mandates, even on record/video... he's no Libertarian/Constitutionalist/Conservative

Mitt's another Military Industrial Complex War Monger.

The guys track record is horrible as a Republican or so-called conservative.

Expose this Fraudster with all your might!

I take it you don't like Mitt HW. I hate Palin worse and she laaagged.

JamesButabi
04-10-2010, 09:48 PM
From the lack of excitement and planning on these boards, I am completely shocked that RP did so well. In fact im quite happy :).

dannno
04-10-2010, 10:03 PM
My issue is....one vote?! I have a hard time believing it from the standpoint of vote-counting integrity....

Yup.

dannno
04-10-2010, 10:04 PM
From the lack of excitement and planning on these boards, I am completely shocked that RP did so well. In fact im quite happy :).

You obviously didn't see the truffle shuffle.

RideTheDirt
04-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I saw a post on the daily paul

one guy one is the bathroom during the vote. :(

I would have just pissed myself.:p

Golding
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
That Ron Paul so much of the vote is impressive in and of itself. It's not an out-and-out victory, but it's a strong showing which is important. Romney is spending his fortune for the kind of votes Ron Paul is getting for free. I say we keep up the good work, and take this to understand not to take our opportunities lightly.

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 12:24 AM
That Ron Paul so much of the vote is impressive in and of itself. It's not an out-and-out victory, but it's a strong showing which is important. Romney is spending his fortune for the kind of votes Ron Paul is getting for free. I say we keep up the good work, and take this to understand not to take our opportunities lightly.

Campaign for Liberty spent at least $92k on the SRLC. What "fortune" did Mitt Romney or his PAC spend?

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 12:25 AM
I saw a post on the daily paul

one guy one is the bathroom during the vote. :(

His excuse makes no sense. The straw poll was open from 10am to 5pm. He had to have been there by 1pm to register.

newbitech
04-11-2010, 12:37 AM
disagree with thread title, "we" were not in New Orleans. I was. And I didn't lose anything, I gained a lot. The only people who lost are the people who had the means and didn't bother to show up. This includes the person who "won".

The straw poll was meaningless in the big picture. What matters is the people who where there and the work that was done to bring more of the message of liberty to the front and center.

Mission accomplished. I have several new connections who have never had the opportunity to meet a flesh and blood Ron Paul supporter. I had several 30+ minute conversations with people open to discussing the details of our message who have never had this discussion before.

1 vote.. that is the vote of the person I converted this weekend. Its not the vote of the lazy supporter. We weren't getting that vote any ways..

-1 on the title and pointlessly negative tone to this thread.

justinc.1089
04-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Campaign for Liberty spent at least $92k on the SRLC. What "fortune" did Mitt Romney or his PAC spend?

Holy hell. :eek:

I'm like speechless at that number.

$92,000?!

As in, 92 followed by three zeros?!

Ok...

1. I didn't even know the C4L had that kind of money. If they're spending that much on just trying to win a straw poll, they must be raking in the money, at least WAY more than I thought possible.

2. Is a straw poll like this, especially this early, really worth $92,000?

3. If the C4L DID spend $92,000, I would bet Romney or a pac friendly to him spent around the same amount.

4. $92,000?! It seriously takes $92,000 dollars to get a few hundred Ron Paul supporters to that place?! Thats like an average of $200 a person roughly!

5. $92,000?!

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Holy hell. :eek:

I'm like speechless at that number.

$92,000?!

As in, 92 followed by three zeros?!

Yes, as in 9.2 times ten to the third power US FRNs.

Ok...

1. I didn't even know the C4L had that kind of money. If they're spending that much on just trying to win a straw poll, they must be raking in the money, at least WAY more than I thought possible.

It sounds like I better not mention the name Ken Buck then ;)

2. Is a straw poll like this, especially this early, really worth $92,000?

Abso-f'ing-lutely. See http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=239061

3. If the C4L DID spend $92,000, I would bet Romney or a pac friendly to him spent around the same amount.

4. $92,000?! It seriously takes $92,000 dollars to get a few hundred Ron Paul supporters to that place?! That's like an average of $200 a person roughly!

Yep. C4L bought 800 tickets in bulk at slightly less than the retail prices of $119 per ticket. They re-sold most of them to C4L members at $30 per ticket and gave away the rest. (That they started advertising the discounted tickets in plain view on the C4L website was one of the early signs of trouble.)

PS I spent a total of $300 on the SRLC straw poll myself. I also spent probably 40 hours sending private messages from Facebook and another 20 hours building my first website.

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 01:12 AM
disagree with thread title, "we" were not in New Orleans. I was. And I didn't lose anything, I gained a lot. The only people who lost are the people who had the means and didn't bother to show up. This includes the person who "won".

The straw poll was meaningless in the big picture. What matters is the people who where there and the work that was done to bring more of the message of liberty to the front and center.

Mission accomplished. I have several new connections who have never had the opportunity to meet a flesh and blood Ron Paul supporter. I had several 30+ minute conversations with people open to discussing the details of our message who have never had this discussion before.

1 vote.. that is the vote of the person I converted this weekend. Its not the vote of the lazy supporter. We weren't getting that vote any ways..

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I'll get over my negativity soon.

One reason I'm so bummed out is that it felt like pulling teeth to get people interested in this once-in-four-years (and for Ron Paul, probably once in a lifetime) opportunity to make headlines. For example, I sent numerous private messages to Michael Nystrom asking him to sticky a post to DailyPaul.com advertising the SRLC straw poll. He did bump http://www.dailypaul.com/node/130168 to the first page for a day, and during that one day, I got 10 of the 36 sign-ups at http://battleofneworleans2010.com/ . If something had been stickied to the top of page 1 for the whole 7 weeks after CPAC, I have no doubt that Ron Paul would have won the SRLC straw poll.

justinc.1089
04-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah I guess it is worth it. This is talking about a LOT of people too when you think about it I suppose.

Who's Ken Buck?

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Yeah I guess it is worth it. This is talking about a LOT of people too when you think about it I suppose.

Who's Ken Buck?

I mentioned his name because you might as well find out from a C4L member instead of a detractor.

Ken Buck is a candidate for the US Senate from Colorado.

C4L has a survey that they use to score candidates on how pro-liberty they are. A group in Colorado donated $350k to C4L on the condition that they run an ad advertising Ken Buck's 19/20 score on the survey. C4L agreed.

The controversy arose because "we" did not find out about this until we saw the ad running in Colorado, which appeared to be a regular endorsement ad for Ken Buck by Campaign for Liberty. It looked like C4L was endorsing a not especially libertarian Republican when far better candidates like Kokesh, Harris, Gunny etc were struggling. C4L eventually apologized for not communicating better and not being more careful in conveying the ad's purpose.

justinc.1089
04-11-2010, 02:53 AM
I mentioned his name because you might as well find out from a C4L member instead of a detractor.

Ken Buck is a candidate for the US Senate from Colorado.

C4L has a survey that they use to score candidates on how pro-liberty they are. A group in Colorado donated $350k to C4L on the condition that they run an ad advertising Ken Buck's 19/20 score on the survey. C4L agreed.

The controversy arose because "we" did not find out about this until we saw the ad running in Colorado, which appeared to be a regular endorsement ad for Ken Buck by Campaign for Liberty. It looked like C4L was endorsing a not especially libertarian Republican when far better candidates like Kokesh, Harris, Gunny etc were struggling. C4L eventually apologized for not communicating better and not being more careful in conveying the ad's purpose.

Honestly in my opinion it sounds like that guy was kinda dumb to give C4L that much money just to basically have an ad saying that C4L says he's good since there aren't that many people that even know about C4L or what it is. I'm just thinking that I don't even know that many Paul supporters to begin with, and then a lot of them don't know about C4L (not because I haven't told them they just don't care or aren't interested).

I'm just doubtful he would gain more than like 5 votes from that C4L endorsement being in the ad, or whatever it really was if not an endorsement. So it seems like from the little information you gave me what happened is more good than bad because thats a ton of cash, although coming for a bad mistake as well probably. I'm just not seeing C4L saying a candidate is good making like any difference at all in an election personally so I don't see where it matters.

Its my impression C4L is more effective for doing other things, particularly organizing our supporters, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't really know that much about what C4L does, how it works, and so on.

ctiger2
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Correct, and if you take away the 200 people they bused in and gave free tickets to if they would vote for Mitt. The results would have been:

Initial Choice
(If the primary election for president were held today, for whom would you vote?)
Newt Gingrich 21% (321)
Mike Huckabee 5% (80)
Gary Johnson 1% (3)
Sarah Palin 21% (330)
Ron Paul 28% (438)
Tim Pawlenty 3% (54)
Mike Pence 3% (58)
Mitt Romney 15% (239)
Rick Santorum 2% (41)

What if you minus the 200 paid Romney's bused in AND add the 40 Ron Paul supporters who screwed up by getting there too late?

Initial Choice
(If the primary election for president were held today, for whom would you vote?)
Newt Gingrich 20% (321)
Mike Huckabee 5% (80)
Gary Johnson 1% (3)
Sarah Palin 21% (330)
Ron Paul 30% (478)
Tim Pawlenty 3% (54)
Mike Pence 3% (58)
Mitt Romney 15% (239)
Rick Santorum 2% (41)

speciallyblend
04-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Honestly in my opinion it sounds like that guy was kinda dumb to give C4L that much money just to basically have an ad saying that C4L says he's good since there aren't that many people that even know about C4L or what it is. I'm just thinking that I don't even know that many Paul supporters to begin with, and then a lot of them don't know about C4L (not because I haven't told them they just don't care or aren't interested).

I'm just doubtful he would gain more than like 5 votes from that C4L endorsement being in the ad, or whatever it really was if not an endorsement. So it seems like from the little information you gave me what happened is more good than bad because thats a ton of cash, although coming for a bad mistake as well probably. I'm just not seeing C4L saying a candidate is good making like any difference at all in an election personally so I don't see where it matters.

Its my impression C4L is more effective for doing other things, particularly organizing our supporters, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't really know that much about what C4L does, how it works, and so on.

so dumb that republicans a half a state away asked about www.campaignforliberty.com and asked about ken buck and(ex state senator and republicans) asked about the liberty tea party in colorado!! it is about growing! the force in colorado is no longer our failed gop establishment. it is the colorado liberty tea party http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tea-Party-of-Northern-Colorado/158932334086?ref=ts and www.campaignforliberty.com.

this is a win win. we had candidates all over colorado falling over the www.campaignforliberty.com to fillout surveys!!

not to mention Ken Buck won the state straw poll over the biggovgop establishment candidate!! in our last assemblies:)

everyone in Colorado knows who www.campaignforliberty.com is if they went to gop meetings! i look to www.campaighforliberty.com over our failed elected gop leadership. trust me Colorado knows what is up. the survey had a purpose and the donation was more effective then 300,000 could be!! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tea-Party-of-Northern-Colorado/158932334086?ref=ts

speciallyblend
04-11-2010, 08:53 AM

way to go:) by the way we are focusing on 2010 in Colorado not waiting till 2012;) plus we had a ron paul republican win a real delegate poll;) and is running in primary .He Won the vote 16-9 out of 25 votes;) that is a LOUD MESSAGE SENT TO OUR LOCAL GOP;)

jake
04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
God this pisses me off so bad.. I should have done something to find a way to get there.. :mad:

it can be made up for by making it to the next straw poll, and taking three friends !!

MelissaWV
04-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Correct, and if you take away the 200 people they bused in and gave free tickets to if they would vote for Mitt. The results would have been:

Initial Choice
Newt Gingrich 21% (321)
Mike Huckabee 5% (80)
Gary Johnson 1% (3)
Sarah Palin 21% (330)
Ron Paul 28% (438)
Tim Pawlenty 3% (54)
Mike Pence 3% (58)
Mitt Romney 15% (239)
Rick Santorum 2% (41)

What if you minus the 200 paid Romney's bused in AND add the 40 Ron Paul supporters who screwed up by getting there too late?

Initial Choice
Newt Gingrich 20% (321)
Mike Huckabee 5% (80)
Gary Johnson 1% (3)
Sarah Palin 21% (330)
Ron Paul 30% (478)
Tim Pawlenty 3% (54)
Mike Pence 3% (58)
Mitt Romney 15% (239)
Rick Santorum 2% (41)

If you were being fair, you would also subtract anyone who voted for Ron Paul via free or reduced-price ticket, right?

speciallyblend
04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
If you were being fair, you would also subtract anyone who voted for Ron Paul via free or reduced-price ticket, right?

forget the straw polls folks. if the gop does not change they will alienate themselves while we move forward with or without the failed gop!!

keep it local;) 16-9 in favor of liberty here with a real poll called delegates!!

MelissaWV
04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
forget the straw polls folks. if the gop does not change they will alienate themselves while we move forward with or without the failed gop!!

keep it local;) 16-9 in favor of liberty here with a real poll called delegates!!

I don't really care much about the straw poll results, frankly. It's not that the reported forty people who were "locked out" of voting would have won it for us that irks me. It's that there are STILL people in this movement who plan so poorly. This is not something that is likely to go away in time for November 2010, and certainly not likely to go away before all of the complicated efforts that have to be undertaken to get Ron the Presidential nomination (or even on the radar/at the debates) if he runs again. It is deja vu, and it's not a good feeling.

I am willing to bet there are a lot of supporters who are under the impression that nothing really needs doing until the primary vote or, even worse, until the November 2012 election. Quite frankly, if the man announces, there are a lot of states where people will have to scramble to get registered and imbed themselves in their local political machinery. People need to study their state's nomination process, how to become a delegate, how to vote in case Dr. Paul is eliminated as a choice in a first or second round of GOP state convention voting (if that's their state's method), and so on. If all of that needs doing, but we still have people who are willing to travel all that way and then not be there on time and know what they're supposed to do (in the bathroom? Really?), then it will be another purely "educational" campaign.

We could have lost by 41 votes, and I would still be concerned that 40 people are reported not to have made registration. :(

We had an awesome showing at the straw poll, but if we ever want more, every person needs to be up to speed on what to do, where to be, and when to be there, for every event. In a movement about personal responsibility, the buck stops with each individual, no?

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Correct, and if you take away the 200 people they bused in and gave free tickets to if they would vote for Mitt.

This is a completely retarded exercise unless you also subtract the 400 or so tickets that C4L gave away to members because they couldn't sell them at the deeply discounted rate of $30 each to their own supporters. If you do that, then we're down to 38 votes for Ron Paul.

Ron_Paul_Knows
04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Just to be clear, it was 4 people that couldn't get in, not 40, if that makes any bit of difference.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2639015&postcount=441

MelissaWV
04-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Just to be clear, it was 4 people that couldn't get in, not 40, if that makes any bit of difference.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2639015&postcount=441

Even looking at that post, it still appears from the first report that 40 were late for registration. Again, why? "Unaware"? How many supporters of other candidates were also unaware? It seems like a piece of vital information that one would seek out before going.

Then apparently 36 people were allowed in after registration closed? Four people went to go get drinks :rolleyes: Is one of these also the person who says they were in the bathroom, and hence could not vote? The last quote even talks of "sneaking in." Classy.

FYI the SRLC website said registration would be on floor 2, but it was actually on floor 3. Some of the late ones were actually their on time, but was on the wrong floor, then directed by a SRLC worker to go to the first floor, but then finally they communicated with some of us who directed them to the right floor for them to find that registration had just closed. My friend Tony stood up for everyone and eventually got them (except 4 apparently) in. He has video and it will probably be going up on youtube.

Also, he said that once they were in, the doors to the voting room had been closed. They were then open and the group of them went in to vote, and then he said the doors were closed yet again after they left... Not sure what that was about.

In reading this, it seems like there was a legitimate mix-up. This is, however, why you arrive early. If you're on the 2nd floor and can't find registration, and you see it's a time when registration should be going on, then try to figure out where it is. If it took you until "registration had just closed" to find the right place, odds are you were not there very early at all. The fact that the voting room doors were closed and there's no mention of other confused voters milling around leads me to believe the other candidates' voters had no such confusion, or were there early enough to resolve it.

Again, I am just concerned about the organization (or lack thereof) of a mass of 40 people moving around trying to figure out where registration is shortly before registration is going to close.

Paulatized
04-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't really care much about the straw poll results, frankly. It's not that the reported forty people who were "locked out" of voting would have won it for us that irks me. It's that there are STILL people in this movement who plan so poorly. This is not something that is likely to go away in time for November 2010, and certainly not likely to go away before all of the complicated efforts that have to be undertaken to get Ron the Presidential nomination (or even on the radar/at the debates) if he runs again. It is deja vu, and it's not a good feeling.

I am willing to bet there are a lot of supporters who are under the impression that nothing really needs doing until the primary vote or, even worse, until the November 2012 election. Quite frankly, if the man announces, there are a lot of states where people will have to scramble to get registered and imbed themselves in their local political machinery. People need to study their state's nomination process, how to become a delegate, how to vote in case Dr. Paul is eliminated as a choice in a first or second round of GOP state convention voting (if that's their state's method), and so on. If all of that needs doing, but we still have people who are willing to travel all that way and then not be there on time and know what they're supposed to do (in the bathroom? Really?), then it will be another purely "educational" campaign.

We could have lost by 41 votes, and I would still be concerned that 40 people are reported not to have made registration. :(

We had an awesome showing at the straw poll, but if we ever want more, every person needs to be up to speed on what to do, where to be, and when to be there, for every event. In a movement about personal responsibility, the buck stops with each individual, no?

Maybe the loss speaks more to us about personal distraction from focus on purpose than seriousness of loss of the straw poll, which is probably getting as much attention as a win would have gotten. (We all know a win would have been as dismissed and as trivialized as the CPAC win was.) The disturbing thing about the loss was supporters in attendance who evidently let distractions cause them to get complacent and casual with the importance of the cause for liberty. Is this speaking to the state of the movement in general at this time? If so let it be a needed wakeup call.

MelissaWV
04-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe the loss speaks more to us about personal distraction from focus on purpose than seriousness of loss of the straw poll, which is probably getting as much attention as a win would have gotten. (We all know a win would have been as dismissed and as trivialized as the CPAC win was.) The disturbing thing about the loss was supporters in attendance who evidently let distractions cause them to get complacent and casual with the importance of the cause for liberty. Is this speaking to the state of the movement in general at this time? If so let it be a needed wakeup call.

The problem is that the movement was in a similar state 2-3 years ago, too. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we had state delegates to the GOP convention who slept in and otherwise didn't show up. They were elected, they were Ron Paul delegates, and they couldn't be bothered to make it there. Not everyone needs to be involved 100% of the time, obviously, but if you commit to being a voter, and especially if you are backed by sponsors (several of us did pony up money to support trips and hotel rooms), that should be your #1 goal.

The few things I've read so far don't help matters. "Four of us went to get drinks." "I was in the bathroom." "We were on the wrong floor and by the time we got to the right floor registration was closed, so we made a stink until they let most of us in." Thank goodness no opposition has picked up on that last one, eh? If Romney had lost by one, don't you think video (and the other thread mentions there being video) would surface of Ron Paul supporters "bullying their way in after registration"?

: : : sighs : : :

TruthisTreason
04-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I disagree that "we" lost it for Ron.

The fact is his message did not resonate with anyone except the people we recruited to come! CFL bought 600 tickets and we didn't even get that many votes.

He couldn't influence 50 to 100 average Republicans at the conference to vote for him based on his message?

To me that clearly shows something he says turns off the average voter in the GOP or their support is already allocated somewhere else..

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 11:19 AM

The fact is his message did not resonate with anyone except the people we recruited to come! CFL bought 600 tickets and we didn't even get that many votes.

He couldn't influence 50 to 100 average Republicans at the conference to vote for him based on his message?

To me that clearly shows something he says turns off the average voter in the GOP or their support is already allocated somewhere else..

It was 800, not 600. And for all we know, only 200 C4Lers showed up and voted and the other 238 votes came from non-C4Lers. We'll never know.

What we do know is that a large number of C4L members failed us big time.

Ron_Paul_Knows
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Even looking at that post, it still appears from the first report that 40 were late for registration. Again, why? "Unaware"? How many supporters of other candidates were also unaware? It seems like a piece of vital information that one would seek out before going.

Then apparently 36 people were allowed in after registration closed? Four people went to go get drinks :rolleyes: Is one of these also the person who says they were in the bathroom, and hence could not vote? The last quote even talks of "sneaking in." Classy.

Yeah, you're right, they were still late in the first place. Here is a little bit more information though:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2639456&postcount=448

So some of them were late because they got directed to the wrong floor, but still they should have showed up earlier just in case since that was the #1 reason they were there, to win the straw poll.

TruthisTreason
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
It was 800, not 600. And for all we know, only 200 C4Lers showed up and voted and the other 238 votes came from non-C4Lers. We'll never know.

What we do know is that a large number of C4L members failed us big time.

Possibly, but you miss my point.

Ron's message will only get us so far. If we truly want to change the masses -- we will have to change the way we engage with the masses.

Telling them they are wrong and we are right won't get the job done. Instead we should focus on the things we agree on!

GOP doesn't agree with Ron's foreign policy.. so don't throw it in their face at some GOP pow wow. He should have focused on sound money and the debt, then, some possible new supporters would have left there saying, " I like this Ron Paul guy when it comes to my money."

But instead most left saying, "Ron Paul is crazy on foreign policy."

speciallyblend
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Ron's message will only get us so far. If we truly want to change the masses -- we will have to change the way we engage with the masses.

Telling them they are wrong and we are right won't get the job done. Instead we should focus on the things we agree on!

GOP doesn't agree with Ron's foreign policy.. so don't throw it in their face at some GOP pow wow. He should have focused on sound money and the debt, then, some possible new supporters would have left there saying, " I like this Ron Paul guy when it comes to my money."

do not worry. the gop will alienate themselves with voters!! If they do not follow the Ron Paul Platform, honestly i feel Ron Paul is running in 2012 with or without the gop!! especially after the deaf dumb and blindness coming from the gop establishment!! the gop will bury themselves if they do not wake up soon;)

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 11:31 AM

This strategy of hiding the unpopular parts of the liberty platform works for Rand because he has no voting record. It would not work for Ron Paul, whose non-interventionism is well documented over 11 terms of Congressional history. Trying to hide his non-interventionism now would just make him look like a regular politician.

M House
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
People who hate Ron Paul's foreign policy are just crazy blood thirsty psychos. I'm seriously losing faith in anyone who's against Ron Paul on that.

TruthisTreason
04-11-2010, 11:37 AM
honestly i fell Ron Paul is running in 2012 with or without the gop!!

But, he has to win the GOP primary.

He has a very small chance of doing that here in Kentucky with some of his stances. Maybe other states are different but I some how doubt it. The sheep are not ready for their world to come crumbling down. Their world will have to be renovated not demolished (baby steps).

TruthisTreason
04-11-2010, 11:40 AM
This strategy of hiding the unpopular parts of the liberty platform works for Rand because he has no voting record. It would not work for Ron Paul, whose non-interventionism is well documented over 11 terms of Congressional history. Trying to hide his non-interventionism now would just make him look like a regular politician.

Who is saying hide it?

I'm saying don't play that song at the GOP pow wow unless you are forced to! Play your hit song "the fed" or play "inflation" or play some "personal liberty."

And stop using Korea as an example of where to bring troops home from! Jesus! The media spends too much time building up evil North Korea for that boat to sail. USE JAPAN!

speciallyblend
04-11-2010, 11:44 AM
But, he has to win the GOP primary.

He has a very small chance of doing that here in Kentucky with some of his stances. Maybe other states are different but I some how doubt it. The sheep are not ready for their world to come crumbling down. Their world will have to be renovated not demolished (baby steps).

if he runs outside the gop he does not have to win a gop primary, like i said Ron Paul is running with or without the gop. if the gop wants to win. they better shape their asses up(Ron Paul is the only viable option left in the gop). Ron Paul 2012 with or without the gop. that is up to the gop establishment. it will be Ron Paul 2012 or the gop can run obama/cheney 2012 bring our troops home!!

many things can happen between now and 2012. the bottom line is if the gop doesn't shape up soon. they better get out of the way;)

if the gop nominates romney or palin or the same ole biggovgop folks. THEY WILL LOSE before they ever begin!! the gop can always recruit illegals to vote republican;)
RON PAUL 2012

Elbridge Gerry
04-11-2010, 11:45 AM
. . . All the variables were equal on either side. Both sides had an equal opportunity to get their people there or not.

With the EFM a co-sponsor of the SRLC 2010, they essentially passed out free books with tickets at the Hannity event on Friday and Romney may have gotten the overwhelming bulk of straw poll votes on Friday.

EFM probably didn't need to "get" people there . . . and had no speech to wait for . . .
plenty of Hannity neo-cons that took the Friday handout in exchange for their straw poll vote well before Saturday and before RP supporters even knew what was going down.

Lesson learned . . .
but still a solid defeat of Palin and with the introduction of the opt-out legislation by RP this SRLC establishes Romney and Ron Paul as the two GOP frontrunners.

Bucjason
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Straw Polls this far away from the next presidential election?? Who cares ??

So much can change by then...someone could utter the word " Makaka" and thier political career is over. These polls are meaningless right now.

pacelli
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM

What you say is certainly a possibility. Maybe RP's message just doesn't appeal to the average GOP voter. We have to consider it.

I also wonder if this demonstrates a failure of the CFL's organizational ability. Is there any way to really verify that each person that received a CFL ticket (and showed up to vote) actually voted for RP? Were there CFL reps on the ground directing people where and when to vote?

Also, RP's speech occurred after the vote. There is the potential that some people who voted for someone else had never heard RP speak or were conditioned by media extremists/hacks.

Then again, Romney wasn't even there and won. So we do have to maintain a level head and look at all possibilities. Perhaps Ron won't even run in 2012, or will run another education campaign.

TruthisTreason
04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
We should start a chip-in and pay a reputable polling company to put Ron Paul, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney and Newt in a poll for President 2012. Nationwide and see where we really stand with GOP voters. :D

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 11:59 AM
We should start a chip-in and pay a reputable polling company to put Ron Paul, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney and Newt in a poll for President 2012. Nationwide and see where we really stand with GOP voters. :D

PPP has already done this (though with Huck instead of Gingrich).

2% before CPAC, 11% after.

TruthisTreason
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
PPP has already done this (though with Huck instead of Gingrich).

2% before CPAC, 11% after.

Huck is taking 24% in the last one they did. That changes the equation. Is he even serious about running?

Flash
04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Straw Polls this far away from the next presidential election?? Who cares ??

So much can change by then...someone could utter the word " Makaka" and thier political career is over. These polls are meaningless right now.

I agree. The straw polls in 2011 will get more press anyways.

Golding
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Campaign for Liberty spent at least $92k on the SRLC. What "fortune" did Mitt Romney or his PAC spend?A reasonable point, well-taken. I was hasty to call the votes "free", but Ron Paul doesn't dip into his own wallet much for campaigns. Mitt Romney has the wealth to spend on his campaigns. That's the difference I refer to.

Evangelicals for Romney spent $53k for the event, incidentally.

Juan McCain
04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
A reasonable point, well-taken. I was hasty to call the votes "free", but Ron Paul doesn't dip into his own wallet much for campaigns. Mitt Romney has the wealth to spend on his campaigns. That's the difference I refer to.

Evangelicals for Romney spent $53k for the event, incidentally.

Nancy French's EFM spent $53,000 and Mitt didn't even know about it . . . ?

http://www.evangelicalsformitt.org/front_page/efm_is_cosponsoring_the_southe.php

Paulatized
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM

I would guess that for many of the traditional Republican attendees it was the first time to hear Dr. Paul’s unadulterated message. Most just listen and accept what Rush or Beck or the MSM says about Ron Paul without actually being exposed to the truth of his message. I would suspect that many who were hearing him in person for the first time were surprised at how much they agreed with him, many times during his speech most of the crowd were on their feet applauding a point. What I am saying is that many may not have ever heard his real message before they heard it at the conference first hand, and by then it was 3:30 and they had already voted. Right before he spoke I was afraid he would get booed a lot but I was encouraged by the response.

Matt Collins
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I was there, read what I had to say:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=34512

parocks
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't worry about it too much. It really wasn't a big deal. If it was, Palin wouldn't have come in with less than 400 votes.

If I really cared, I probably wouldn't have thought about how I could've dragged my ass a thousand miles, I would've thought "how can I help CfL sell 800 tix to the right people and help them make sure they showed up"

I'm dirt poor, live all the way in Los Angeles, have no car and have never even travelled that far East.. and even I was spending time thinking about a way for me to get over there so I could vote.

Yet of all the gazzilions of people who actually lived within borrowed-car driving distance- or had travelling money and Saturday off- we got 438 teeny tiny little votes and lost by one vote. What's done is done. I just really hope this causes some of the "online only activists" and people who just didn't think it was worth their time- not to feel bad- but to do some real soul searching. And to remember this day for the rest of their lives.