PDA

View Full Version : More taxes?

04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I listen to talk radio while I work and I've heard the talking point repeated lately that almost half of Americans pay no taxes (by which I assume they mean income tax) and that is why we have wasteful government- because those people have no "skin in the game". Taking that argument to its conclusion, I assume they are advocating more taxation. Why are "conservative" radio hosts complaining about people NOT paying income taxes?! Shouldn't they be asking why the rest of us can't stop paying too? I mean, people cared about wasteful spending before 1913, right? Anyone else hear this talking point?

amy31416
04-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I listen to talk radio while I work and I've heard the talking point repeated lately that almost half of Americans pay no taxes (by which I assume they mean income tax) and that is why we have wasteful government- because those people have no "skin in the game". Taking that argument to its conclusion, I assume they are advocating more taxation. Why are "conservative" radio hosts complaining about people NOT paying income taxes?! Shouldn't they be asking why the rest of us can't stop paying too? I mean, people cared about wasteful spending before 1913, right? Anyone else hear this talking point?

All the time. It's cognitive dissonance, as far as I can tell. They rake the lower-income people over the coals for not paying taxes, yet scream about how they have to pay taxes.

They aren't nearly as vicious towards corporations who weasel out of taxes or people who have "tax havens."

JosephTheLibertarian
04-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I think I'm one of people paying no taxes :) I took advantage of a few tax credits. I make most of my $$$ "under the table."

furface
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
"No taxes" = no federal income tax.

It doesn't include social security or medicare tax, which combined equal about 15% of your paycheck including the money your employer pays on your behalf.

Also doesn't include deficit spending on your behalf which is a lean on your future earnings.

Here's a host of other taxes that it doesn't include:

Property taxes, levied in most states.
Sales & excise taxes.
Real estate development fees, something along the lines of 30% of the cost of a house in coastal California.
Other various user fees like vehicle registration fees.
Hidden taxes, the cost of products that include tax and conforming costs.
Reporting and conforming costs, which are definitely not negligible.

Still, most people are so brainwashed that they haven't figured this out yet.

TastyWheat
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Why are "conservative" radio hosts complaining about people NOT paying income taxes?! Shouldn't they be asking why the rest of us can't stop paying too?
Most "conservatives" aren't anti-taxation actually. They need taxes to fund the wars, the intelligence agencies, subsidize fossil fuels and nuclear energy, and give plenty of aid to both sides of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

lester1/2jr
04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
the poor people pay no taxes meme is such a chicago school /supply side ruse. as if there is no such thing as inflation, all the other taxes people on this thread mentioned and as if the corporatocracy doesn't game the system for benefits