PDA

View Full Version : Doctor fires Obama-voting employee: "Elections have consequences"

qh4dotcom
04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001984-503544.html

"Elections have consequences," wrote dermdoc. "If you vote for someone who raises my taxes and lowers my income, you pay the cost."

foofighter20x
04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
"It is kind of interesting watching their face as you explain to them the economic consequences of the policies of the guy they voted for," wrote dermdoc.

I confess: I lol'd.

roho76
04-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I say good for him. What are supposed to do when someone who works for you is intentionally trying to destroy the very thing you built. I wonder if he tried to educate her before she voted?

RM918
04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
They're reporting on internet threads now?

ChaosControl
04-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I think it is a stupid thing to do, but I support his right to do it.

Depressed Liberator
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
He has the right to do what he wants in his business, but I think his act was still pretty damn stupid.

silus
04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I say good for him. What are supposed to do when someone who works for you is intentionally trying to destroy the very thing you built. I wonder if he tried to educate her before she voted?
I wonder who educated you before you made that post.

Justinjj1
04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Reporting as fact what some idiot posted online. Journalism hits a new low.

fuzzybekool
04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Everyone has to be suspicious when a major news organization goes out of their way to report on a "thread" lol . It was obviously a planted thread.

Danke
04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I wonder who educated you before you made that post.

Elaborate.

Agorism
04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I find this behavior over the top personally.

If the employee was overly political in the sense that he was up in everyone's face, then that's one thing, but if all he did was vote for the other party, this was in terrible taste.

Inquisitive
04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I am not familiar with American law regarding voter rights, but it seems like somebody should have the right to vote without persecution. I wonder if the doctor warned his employees before they went to the poles?

low preference guy
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I find this behavior over the top personally.

If the employee was overly political in the sense that he was up in everyone's face, then that's one thing, but if all he did was vote for the other party, this was in terrible taste.

Do you call yourself an agorist?

Danke
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I am not familiar with American law regarding voter rights, but it seems like somebody should have the right to vote without persecution.

If you work for a private sector company, why?

ChaosControl
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I am not familiar with American law regarding voter rights, but it seems like somebody should have the right to vote without persecution. I wonder if the doctor warned his employees before they went to the poles?

If it is someone's private business, they should have the right to fire someone for any reason they want.

Inquisitive
04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
If it is someone's private business, they should have the right to fire someone for any reason they want.

It seems similar to discriminating based on race or religion, but again I am not familiar with American laws regarding this subject.

dwdollar
04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
He's got to cut costs somehow. What's he suppose to do? Fire the guy who didn't vote for Obama. Give me a break...

low preference guy
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
It seems similar to discriminating based on race or religion, but again I am not familiar with American laws regarding this subject.

What the laws say is often different from what's right.

roho76
04-09-2010, 09:56 PM

bingo.

As a business owner "I reserve the right" period. That employees vote cost him money and is destroying the way he does business and forcing him to comply with the state or close his business. Maybe the employee should have kept their politics to themselves if they feared pursecution. This is the "Change" Obama promised. Things are changing that's for sure.

Maybe they can go work for the government and be an auditor or something. Then they can come back to their former employer and be the tyranny they promotes.

tmosley
04-09-2010, 10:18 PM

If only we didn't have to suffer the consequences of those who voted for the last two (at least) buffoons.

foofighter20x
04-09-2010, 10:34 PM

It's completely legal in the private sector.

It's only not kosher in government due to the First Amendment.

Remember, the Bill of Rights is meant to secure your rights from government abuse.

silus
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Maybe the employee should have kept their politics to themselves if they feared pursecution.
You assume they voluntarily disclosed that info. Now i'm wondering if you can be fired for keeping your vote to yourself.

Bman
04-10-2010, 12:44 AM
For business I never turn away people from the Obama camp, what I do is turn them onto Ron Paul and introduce them to philosophical inaccuracies in their political arguments. Sometimes you just have to hold their hand and walk them straight up to the wall that has been written on.

Most people will recognize a contradiction in their thoughts if you point it out.

Stary Hickory
04-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Good riddance. Voting in someone who is all about Tyranny and forcing others into nonvoluntary social arrangements should have penalties. I recently told someone off who was trying to say "it's just a difference of opinions".

They don't get to say that when they support using threats of violence and physical harm to get stuff for free from the unwilling. You support that stuff and empower it then get treated like the scum that you are.

Libertini
04-10-2010, 05:52 AM
See this is why I don't get into political discussions with my bosses in the workplace. When I did have a job, I told everyone that I didn't vote, which is the truth.

Hahaha, lol@obamaphaggotthatgotfired

Agorism
04-10-2010, 06:07 AM
See this is why I don't get into political discussions with my bosses in the workplace. When I did have a job, I told everyone that I didn't vote, which is the truth.

Master of common sense here.

Let's not argue with the boss about religion or whatever else for that matter either.

Honestly, I think most bosses with this guys attitude of firing someone because he's an Obama supporter would do it without ever saying why. This guy just got in the news because he said it out loud. I think it was in bad taste to fire him for voting for the wrong guy, but it doesn't surprise me that it happened.

If he really liked the employee he probably would have overlooked his differences, but if he already disliked him, this maybe just pushed him over the edge.

qh4dotcom
04-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I say good for him. What are supposed to do when someone who works for you is intentionally trying to destroy the very thing you built.
Good point...he could have said "It's not funny".

JeNNiF00F00
04-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Never talk about Religion or Politics in Mixed Company. :)

V-rod
04-11-2010, 12:25 AM
They're reporting on internet threads now?

Well, CNN's "professional" anchors quote live random comments off of Twitter like it was gospel.

RyanRSheets
04-11-2010, 01:07 AM
This is why it irks me so much that we are not allowed to talk politics at work. Political conversation should be encouraged in the workplace, because it has has a very real effect on the business.

silus
04-11-2010, 01:10 AM
I guess he would have gotten a raise had he voted for McCain...:shrug

RyanRSheets
04-11-2010, 01:11 AM
It's completely legal in the private sector.

It's only not kosher in government due to the First Amendment.

Remember, the Bill of Rights is meant to secure your rights from government abuse.

This reminds me of an argument I had with some friends. They contended that a business owner has no right to fire someone because of their skin color. I contended that the employer had every right in the world to terminate an employee no matter what the reason was. Their argument was that you can't live in this country without a job, thus the 14th Amendment would apply, my argument was that we all have the right to spend our money as we choose. What do you all think? I don't like the idea of people firing their employees over illegitimate matters, but I try to be consistent in my views.