PDA

View Full Version : POLITICO: Ron Paul, Romney backers stacking straw poll deck

bobbyw24
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
April 09, 2010
Categories: 2012
Paul, Romney backers stacking straw poll deck

The Southern Republican Leadership Conference Straw Poll doesn't carry a whole lot of weight, since it's skewed — like most of these things — by the makeup of the crowd, the intensity of Ron Paul's supporters and the ease of gaming the vote.

That doesn't mean, however, that the various camps aren't trying to game it. One of the organizers told me that two groups, Paul's Campaign for Liberty and Evangelicals for Mitt (which denies ties to Romney) have purchased blocks of tickets to the event, typically given to supporters.

And CBS's Brian Montopoli just got a bit of insight into how this works:

I spoke to a young female delegate who said she planned to vote for Romney in the poll. I asked her how she had ended up at the conference.

She said Evangelicals for Mitt had contacted her and offered to pay for her to have a limited-access ticket — as long as she agreed to vote for Romney in the straw poll.

Asked how Evangelicals for Mitt got her name, she said she didn't know. But she said that she was on the e-mail list for Romney and speculated that the Romney team had given out their e-mail list.

I've e-mailed a Romney spokesman to ask if they shared the list.

UPDATE: Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom says Romney's PAC hasn't shared its list, and that he's not aware of any other list.

And a Paul supporter gets hold of the full e-mail from Evangelicals for Mitt's Nancy French, which requires ticket recipients to promise to vote for Romney:

Evangelicals for Mitt is trying to get people there who would vote for Gov. Romney in a straw poll. It is customary for potential Presidential candidates to make an effort to get friendly people at the conference to help their showing in the straw polls, and that’s exactly what we’re doing

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0410/Paul_Romney_backers_stacking_straw_poll_deck.html? showall

JamesButabi
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Use the system they say. Attend our events they say. Grow the Party they say.....

Until you actually do it better than them. Then all of a sudden you're corrupting their sacred party. GTFO

ctiger2
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.evangelicalsformitt.org/

Robert Costa interpreted the results, from the floor:

There may have been some boos, but Paul was by far one of the more popular speakers at CPAC this year. “End the Fed!” was one of most-heard chants and his “Campaign for Liberty” group was everywhere. Heck, a lot of the time, it seemed like they, not the American Conservative Union, was CPAC’s host. Even Ann Coulter, who drew a huge crowd herself, felt compelled to give a shout out to Paul-mania, saying she agreed with everything he stands for outside of foreign policy — a statement met with cheers.

Paul supporters were the most visible and vocal throughout CPAC — waving posters, signs, and passing out pamphlets. Unlike the 2012 wannabes, Paul doesn’t play coy: He has a manifesto and wants to broadcast it. Period. No worries about the media spin or whether the speech gets headlines (see Pawlenty, Tiger doctrine). And, instead of the usual anti-Obama talk, Paul framed a hefty chunk of his CPAC address upon a critique of Woodrow Wilson. And the crowd dug it.

Some older CPAC attendees don’t seem to care much for the Texas congressman, sure, but many young activists seem to regard him as a hero of sorts. When he talks about the debt, like he did on Friday, calling it a “monster” that will “eat up” our future, it was with a passion that you can’t fake in politics. He also didn’t mind challenging many of the room’s security hawks on foreign policy. “There is nothing wrong with being a conservative and having a conservative belief in foreign policy where we have a strong national defense and don’t go to war so carelessly,” Paul said. That line was met with a lot of silence, some nods, but, based on my conservations with activists afterward, strong respect from many for not simply pandering.

As Paul strolled through the lobby on Friday, slightly hunched and rail thin, cell phones galore lit up the Marriott Wardman Park. Students, a huge CPAC contingent, flocked. That should have been a sign to anyone looking to predict the straw poll. While Paul mingled with his acolytes, the big guns — Pawlenty, Romney — were often shrouded by aides or mingling backstage. Believe me: CPAC folks noticed. And now, thanks to the straw poll, for a moment, Paul’s opening line from his address is true: His “revolution is alive and well,” at least this weekend.

Vessol
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
How dare a candidate mingle with the masses. He must hold himself above them. He must hold them behind a line and shake their hands anonymously while he chats with some intern.

Ever noticed that with all the big name politcians? That's how they "greet" their "fans".

Yet when you see Ron Paul, he's smiling, shaking hands with everybody. Taking pictures. Talking with people.

/sigh, almost brings a tear to this man's eyes.

foofighter20x
04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Somehow like voters stack the ballots on Election Day?

POLITICO is taking a break from reality, it seems...

Agorism
04-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Kind of like Obama stacked the caucuses against Hillary.

SovereignMN
04-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Unlike the 2012 wannabes, Paul doesn’t play coy: He has a manifesto and wants to broadcast it. Period. No worries about the media spin or whether the speech gets headlines (see Pawlenty, Tiger doctrine). And, instead of the usual anti-Obama talk, Paul framed a hefty chunk of his CPAC address upon a critique of Woodrow Wilson. And the crowd dug it.

When he talks about the debt, like he did on Friday, calling it a “monster” that will “eat up” our future, it was with a passion that you can’t fake in politics. He also didn’t mind challenging many of the room’s security hawks on foreign policy. “There is nothing wrong with being a conservative and having a conservative belief in foreign policy where we have a strong national defense and don’t go to war so carelessly,” Paul said. That line was met with a lot of silence, some nods, but, based on my conservations with activists afterward, strong respect from many for not simply pandering.

As Paul strolled through the lobby on Friday, slightly hunched and rail thin, cell phones galore lit up the Marriott Wardman Park. Students, a huge CPAC contingent, flocked. That should have been a sign to anyone looking to predict the straw poll. While Paul mingled with his acolytes, the big guns — Pawlenty, Romney — were often shrouded by aides or mingling backstage. Believe me: CPAC folks noticed. And now, thanks to the straw poll, for a moment, Paul’s opening line from his address is true: His “revolution is alive and well,” at least this weekend.

I love this man.

moostraks
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Robert Costa interpreted the results, from the floor:

There may have been some boos, but Paul was by far one of the more popular speakers at CPAC this year. “End the Fed!” was one of most-heard chants and his “Campaign for Liberty” group was everywhere. Heck, a lot of the time, it seemed like they, not the American Conservative Union, was CPAC’s host. Even Ann Coulter, who drew a huge crowd herself, felt compelled to give a shout out to Paul-mania, saying she agreed with everything he stands for outside of foreign policy — a statement met with cheers.

Paul supporters were the most visible and vocal throughout CPAC — waving posters, signs, and passing out pamphlets. Unlike the 2012 wannabes, Paul doesn’t play coy: He has a manifesto and wants to broadcast it. Period. No worries about the media spin or whether the speech gets headlines (see Pawlenty, Tiger doctrine). And, instead of the usual anti-Obama talk, Paul framed a hefty chunk of his CPAC address upon a critique of Woodrow Wilson. And the crowd dug it.

Some older CPAC attendees don’t seem to care much for the Texas congressman, sure, but many young activists seem to regard him as a hero of sorts. When he talks about the debt, like he did on Friday, calling it a “monster” that will “eat up” our future, it was with a passion that you can’t fake in politics. He also didn’t mind challenging many of the room’s security hawks on foreign policy. “There is nothing wrong with being a conservative and having a conservative belief in foreign policy where we have a strong national defense and don’t go to war so carelessly,” Paul said. That line was met with a lot of silence, some nods, but, based on my conservations with activists afterward, strong respect from many for not simply pandering.

wow...what an awesome visual!!!

moostraks
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
I love this man.

me too...

John Taylor
04-09-2010, 03:29 PM
me too...

Hell yeah!!

RM918
04-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Politico's already downplaying a victory before it even happens.

BlackTerrel
04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Evangelicals for Mitt?

Not what I'd expect...

Bruehound
04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Evangelicals for Mitt?

Not what I'd expect...

He knows he has weakness within that group so his political operatives have organized this front group to mitigate concerns. This is entirely manufactured, contrived and fairly typical strategy.

bobbyw24
04-10-2010, 08:14 AM
What time is the vote today?

Matt Collins
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
What time is the vote today?
Starts now. Vote before 2pm if you can.

speciallyblend
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Starts now. Vote before 2pm if you can.

let them have it MATT and supporters!!!

the sad part was watching the mindless drones on fox for palin!! if the gop doesn't wake up soon. the gop is done finished;) sorry steele had to steal your line;)

honestly the gop establisment is clueless to how far in the ditch they are!!

bobbyw24
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the updates Matt. Call me next week about law school. I got an advanced law degree in Admiralty at Tulane. Enjoy and be safe

Matt Collins
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the updates Matt. Call me next week about law school. I got an advanced law degree in Admiralty at Tulane. Enjoy and be safe
Yes I met some VERY nice ladies from Tulane in the Quarter last night. They wanted to point out to me that they saw a pregnant stripper in one of the windows :rolleyes:

Bourbon Street is a trip, there is no doubt about that.

Yes I have been meaning to give you call but haven't had the time. I will though I promise :)

pcosmar
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
stacking straw poll deck ?
Just what is the difference between " stacking the deck " and having a large amount of support?

:confused:

The spin is in.
:(

speciallyblend
04-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Just what is the difference between " stacking the deck " and having a large amount of support?

:confused:

The spin is in.
:(

haha, i hear you,just make sure you laugh it all!!! if the gop continues the same bs. they will only alienate their own party.

they can spin all they want to but the bottom line is if the gop ignores our movement. They will not Win!!!

Dan Chisholm
04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
He knows he has weakness within that group so his political operatives have organized this front group to mitigate concerns. This is entirely manufactured, contrived and fairly typical strategy.

That is not true. If Mitt wanted to win this straw poll, he would be at the conference. Evangelicals for Mitt is entirely separate from Mitt. MSNBC knows this, yet while I was watching Ron's interview with Eliot Spitzer, he claimed that Mitt is buying votes. That is worse than irresponsible, it's a downright lie. I know Dr. Paul is far too busy to pay attention to things like this so I don't blame him for going along with it. I'm just pissed at Spitzer and MSNBC for once again propagating a lie.

rp08orbust
04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
If Mitt wanted to win this straw poll, he would be at the conference.

Of course he wants to win the straw poll, as any sane presidential candidate would. He just knows he couldn't win it with Ron Paul and Sarah Palin there.

Distinguished Gentleman
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
If Mitt showed up and still didn't win, their would be no way to spin it. Not showing up, but financing a group to vote is a safer way to play the game. But who knows...

speciallyblend
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
If Mitt showed up and still didn't win, their would be no way to spin it. Not showing up, but financing a group to vote is a safer way to play the game. But who knows...

if Ron Paul doesn't Win! all of a sudden the straw poll will mean everything. it will almost be laughable but to be honest the gop better PRAY Ron Paul WINS if they want to start winning elections again!!

romney or palin would be reasons not to vote republican!! the gop better wake up soon unless they want to run obama/cheney 2012 bring our troops home!!!

KramerDSP
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/04/the_srlc_straw_poll_up_for_gra.html

The SRLC straw poll, up for grabs

NEW ORLEANS -- Supporters of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) are amused by the rumors about their straw poll prowess.

"We keep hearing about the well-organized Paul machine," said Tim Shoemaker, a legislative campaigner for Paul's 501(c)4, the Campaign for Liberty, pointing at three of his friends from the group. "There's four of us here! CPAC happened, then we put this together in four weeks."

Although the C4L got its hands on more than 600 tickets, it did not give them away. Paul supporters had to chip in to come and vote in the straw poll. And on the first day of the straw poll, the trickle of Paul voters was just that -- a trickle, nothing like the overwhelming presence that got Paul a resounding (if fairly meaningless) victory.

By contrast, Nancy French's Evangelicals for Mitt has been offering around 200 tickets for free, for anyone who wants to come and support Mitt Romney. At the party before Sean Hannity's live taping of his TV show, French's group handed out 800 copies of their man's book, "No Apology," and countless piggy banks. It's hard to say how many of the people grabbing those favors will back Romney -- one woman I spoke to, clutching two piggy banks, snorted when I asked if she'd vote for Romney.

"These are for my grandkids," she said.

So anyone expecting a repeat of CPAC should hold off for Paul's speech today -- if the room is full, said Shoemaker, their man can win the straw poll. If not, the lack of focus on 2012, the lack of campaigning here by Mike Huckabee and Tim Pawlenty, makes it hard to predict the outcome. And while the outcome won't matter in the long run, there's a big difference between the narrative of a Paul victory, say, a Palin victory. Few, however, expect Romney to pull it out.

"Evangelicals for Mitt," laughed one GOP strategist who wasn't backing any particular candidate. "You notice that their signs mention everything except religion."

Can we get some info from supporters there? I'm wondering how accurate this is.

Anti Federalist
04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Use the system they say. Attend our events they say. Grow the Party they say.....

Until you actually do it better than them. Then all of a sudden you're corrupting their sacred party. GTFO

That^^^ That^^^ That^^^ That^^^ That^^^ That^^^ That^^^

Matt Collins
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Tim and I among others were out on Bourbon St last night. I was standing a few feet from him when he gave the interview.

Anti Federalist
04-10-2010, 11:51 AM

the big guns — Pawlenty, Romney — [/B]

When did Pawlenty (who?) become a "big gun"?

invisible
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Tim and I among others were out on Bourbon St last night. I was standing a few feet from him when he gave the interview.

Uh oh. You didn't shake his hand did you? Try to shake Ron's before the straw poll!

Baptist
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM

The spin is in.

Yeah this is spin. "Romney and Paul stack the deck." And the ENTIRE article talks about how ROMNEY is staking the deck. Just had to throw Paul in there in case he wins.

Billay
04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
So Ron Paul wins Cpac and if he wins the SLRC none of it means anything?

Agorism
04-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Then just win CPAC and SRLC next year also.

Eventually they have to acknowledge that the movement is legit. If that means nothing, then win the Iowa Straw poll (the biggest straw poll of them all.)

james1906
04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Then just win CPAC and SRLC next year also.

Which will happen as Huckabee, Romney, and the other brats take their ball and go home.

Agorism
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Which will happen as Huckabee, Romney, and the other brats take their ball and go home.

Well keep in mind Paul has never taken over 50% yet.

So long as that is the case, someone can always win so long as the vote is not split.

james1906
04-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Well keep in mind Paul has never taken over 50% yet.

So long as that is the case, someone can always win so long as the vote is not split.

That requires organization to have only one candidate up against RP, and egos aren't going to let that happen.

Agorism
04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Well if they don't invite Paul, we could always stage a write in campaign.

Does SRLC allow write ins?

BlackTerrel
04-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Interesting insights. Sounds about right.

Evangelicals for Mitt sounds about as likely as Westboro Baptist Church for Ricky Martin.