PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Gary Johnson interviewed by Hot Air.....

BamaFanNKy
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/04/09/srlc-interview-gov-gary-johnson/

Inkblots
04-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Nice to see him getting his name out there and raising awareness of the need for immediate and drastic spending cuts, but, as with a lot of the Johnson interviews I've seen, I can't help but feel he needs to become more of a policy wonk about these things. It's not enough to say 'we have a sheet of bullet points' about what should be cut. He needs to be about to simply and persuasively state what should be cut and the practical and philosophical reasons supporting the position. Dr. Paul's ability to do exactly this (most of the time, anyway), is what makes him so effective when he appears on 5 minute cable news segments.

BamaFanNKy
04-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Nice to see him getting his name out there and raising awareness of the need for immediate and drastic spending cuts, but, as with a lot of the Johnson interviews I've seen, I can't help but feel he needs to become more of a policy wonk about these things. It's not enough to say 'we have a sheet of bullet points' about what should be cut. He needs to be about to simply and persuasively state what should be cut and the practical and philosophical reasons supporting the position. Dr. Paul's ability to do exactly this (most of the time, anyway), is what makes him so effective when he appears on 5 minute cable news segments.

Eh. I think he did a good job. I think he also does a better job politically saying his stances (much like Rand does) than Ron does.

Inkblots
04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I think he also does a better job politically saying his stances (much like Rand does) than Ron does.

Really? I agree with you that Rand is better at doing interviews and being succinct than Ron is, but Ron's main issue is he gets sidetracked giving too much philosophical background to his positions when he's engaging in issues advocacy. I don't want to knock Gov. Johnson, but a lot of the time the closest he gets to a philosophical justification in these types of interviews is 'seems like a good idea to me'.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a wonk, and a lot of folks out there just want the reader's digest version of libertarian philosophy, so maybe I'm off-base. I just always find myself feeling like Johnson's arguments are a little thin; maybe that's what's called for in the Youtube age. You tell me.

BamaFanNKy
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Really? I agree with you that Rand is better at doing interviews and being succinct than Ron is, but Ron's main issue is he gets sidetracked giving too much philosophical background to his positions when he's engaging in issues advocacy. I don't want to knock Gov. Johnson, but a lot of the time the closest he gets to a philosophical justification in these types of interviews is 'seems like a good idea to me'.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a wonk, and a lot of folks out there just want the reader's digest version of libertarian philosophy, so maybe I'm off-base. I just always find myself feeling like Johnson's arguments are a little thin; maybe that's what's called for in the Youtube age. You tell me.

You nailed it there. Gary has won statewide office. That is the biggest office held in the liberty movement. I really would love for him to endorse Kokesh.