PDA

View Full Version : 'Ron Paul Revolution' hits Tempe

Bradley in DC
10-09-2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/1009tr-ronpaul1003.html?&wired

'Ron Paul Revolution' hits Tempe

Becky Washington
Special for The Republic
Oct. 9, 2007 10:22 AM
One night last week, 20-year-old Jakob Millizer and a band of fellow political activists plastered the Valley with 180 giant signs on behalf of a presidential candidate that barely registers on national opinion polls.

Millizer and about 100 others hope to launch the "Ron Paul Revolution" on behalf of the Texas congressman running for the Republican nomination on a platform that includes "limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets and a return to sound monetary policies" according to his campaign Web site. Paul also supports securing the borders, withdrawing from Iraq, balancing the budget, pro-life interests, and an end to the Patriot Act.

Although not the household names that Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Barack Obama and Rudy Giuliani are, it was Paul's name that first popped up on posters Valleywide, and particularly in downtown Tempe.

Millizer, of Tempe, has helped organize a Paul support group at Arizona State University and is a member of one of many Valley groups that support the candidate. It was one of the many homespun signs that first caught his eye and spurred his interest in Paul.

"I looked him up and thought, 'this guy's crazy'" Millizer said, laughing.

This is the first presidential election Millizer is old enough to vote in. He said before researching Paul he had little interest in politics.

"Politics seemed too messy, too opinionated," he said.

Paul seems to have gained the attention of many of the MySpace generation, and his name pops up often on sites like YouTube frequented by a younger crowd.

"I can't say that I know much about Ron Paul and his platform," said Lauren Rusnock, 19, an Arizona State University student who said the candidate's appeal has a lot to do with the nature of the citizen-fueled campaign. "I do wish that a Hillary or an Obama would have a more hands-on campaign."

Millizer said the common denominator among Paul's supporters, especially the younger ones, seems to be an open mind.

Few of the participants are actually registered Republican. "They're drawn to a few ideas: no IRS, balancing the budget, making the government smaller," Millizer said. "They like Paul's consistency." When asked if there is a specific target group for the poster effort, Millizer said, "American citizens." He said Paul's appeal is broad, admitting that most of his supporters do not agree with everything Paul has to say.

"People feel that they are always voting for the same candidate," Millizer said. "A lot of people want change right now. Significant change."