PDA

View Full Version : Computer security & maintenance "must haves"

RCA
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
What computer software do you use to keep your computer running smoothly and securely? This question is for Windows Vista/7 computers.

Due to my limited knowledge in this area, the only program that I can endorse is Malwarebytes.

I've played with software firewalls such as Black Ice but don't know enough about them.

Then there are the hardware firewalls.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
use avast. it's free, and it's the best out there :) if you want 1 on 1 help, send me a pm. I don't feel like getting bugged by the IP crowd

dannno
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
NoScript is a great plugin for Firefox.. It basically blocks ALL scripts on every webpage so you can feel free to click on links, and then once at the page you can go down to the bottom corner and with a simple mouse click decide to always allow all scripts on the page, or temporarily allow all scripts on the page or allow specific scripts from the list. Or you can just browse the page without any of the scripts running if you are just reading the site and don't need functionality.

So at first it takes an extra second or two to browse webpages, but once you have your trusted sites setup to always allow scripts to run, then you only have to allow scripts on new pages visited.

This has saved my work computer from ever getting malware attacked in almost 4 years.

Dreamofunity
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Avast, Malwarebytes and SUPERantispyware

RCA
04-09-2010, 12:25 PM
All great suggestions. What about proxy servers? Are those even necessary?

JosephTheLibertarian
04-09-2010, 12:28 PM

not really :) depends what you want to do. for security? no. all you need is a good antivirus, good anti-spyware (but you can typically find both with a good antivirus) and a good firewall.

I'll tell you one thing. Don't mess with Norton's, they suck

dannno
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Phzilla is a proxy server plugin for firefox.. probably don't need it for most stuff, depends on how paranoid you are I guess..

A lot of times there isn't full functionality on websites when using proxy servers so I don't use them very often.

RCA
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
So if I go with Avast, do I still need Malwarebytes? I just bought a brand new laptop ($474 15.6" Gateway from CompUSA w/Windows 7). I haven't even opened it yet and want to get it up and running clean from the get go.

RCA
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
So much for Black Ice:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=421

The other thing I'll have to content with his all the bloatware that comes pre-installed due to all the backroom deals between computer maker and software company.

What about PC Tuneup? It's not free.

Dreamofunity
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Avast runs all the time, do periodic checks. Malware for periodic checks or if something is going wrong/slow. SUPERAntispyware for periodic checks and if something goes wrong.

I had some bad virus that other caught but wouldn't delete, SUPERantispyware is the only thing that worked for me.

RCA
04-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we've got a winning combination with these:

1) Firefox/Thunderbird for surfing/email
2) No Scripts Firefox Add-on
3) Avast (for continuous anti-virus)
4) Malwarebytes (for occasional scans)
5) Super anti-spyware (for the tough jobs)

I also found Glary Utilities, free PC tuneup software:
http://www.glaryutilities.com/

Mach
04-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Here's one, you could call it real-time security, think of this as a virtual world on your computer, you can surf around, download stuff, open it up, and it doesn't matter if it is packed with 'viruses.' Feel free to click links anywhere too, when you close it everything goes bye bye.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Download it, set it up, then just right click on whatever you want to open in it and click #Run Sandboxed#.

Like I said, you can download a pile of crap and you will still smell sweet after you close the Sandbox.

Edit: Here's one for people just wanting to track stuff down.

This one is awesome, I have to say, this can dig in deep. (Windows)

Process Hacker is a feature-packed tool for manipulating processes and services on your computer.

http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/

Did you ever wonder what was in your Index.dat files?

http://www.systenance.com/indexdat.php

RCA
04-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Here's one, you could call it real-time security, think of this as a virtual world on your computer, you can surf around, download stuff, open it up, and it doesn't matter if it is packed with 'viruses.' Feel free to click links anywhere too, when you close it everything goes bye bye.

Download it, set it up, then just right click on whatever you want to open in it and click #Run Sandboxed#.

Like I said, you can download a pile of crap and you will still smell sweet after you close the Sandbox.

Sounds very cool, but it's not free right?

Mach
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, it can be, you will have it for... I think 30 days.... then when you open it after the 30 days it will make you wait... (hold on)..... :D..... 5 whole seconds before actually opening, so, 5 second penalty after 30 days, that's it.

Help & FAQ
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

Mach
04-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Here's something else if you're worried about it, it will scramble your text as you type so no one can Keylog you.

Here's the free one.

http://www.qfxsoftware.com/

KeyScrambler Personal - Recommended by PC World as one of the "15 Great, Free Privacy Downloads" - Protects your login credentials, credit card numbers, passwords, search terms, Java, Flash, PDF Forms, web email and more in IE, Firefox, and Flock against known and unknown keyloggers. Download Free 1.2MB

Ron Paul FTW
04-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we've got a winning combination with these:

1) Firefox/Thunderbird for surfing/email
2) No Scripts Firefox Add-on
3) Avast (for continuous anti-virus)
4) Malwarebytes (for occasional scans)
5) Super anti-spyware (for the tough jobs)

I also found Glary Utilities, free PC tuneup software:
http://www.glaryutilities.com/

that's a good batch of programs.

i also use avg on the occasion, but avast works fine if you already have that. only thing i don't see you have is a firewall. which most people use the windows firewall anyways, a good one is ZoneAlarm (freeware) if you ever need firewall software. I've had this computer for 5 years and not a single virus or problem outta this beast.

good luck. :)

phill4paul
04-10-2010, 05:09 AM
I'd throw in spybot. I run both spybot and SuperAntispyware sometime one will find something the other doesn't.
For general computer happiness:
CCcleaner.
Defraggler.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-10-2010, 07:33 AM
RCA : Keep in mind, a lot of times people go on preference, I think you should check out reviews and do some of your own research before you close the book on anything.

pcosmar
04-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Gaaaa,

You will be spending all your time running scans and cleaning crap out.
:(

http://pclinuxos.com/

rawful
04-10-2010, 03:21 PM
-Sandboxie (or DefenseWall if you don't mind paying)
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
-SUPERAntispyware
-I use Microsoft Security Essentials but Avast or Avira are fine as well. Just need a decent AV that isn't a process hog.
-Comodo Firewall
-NoScript
-Web of Trust
-KeyScrambler

Sandboxie is the most important of these. I've been using for several months and my MBAM scans have become very boring. Not even one bad cookie.

Inflation
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
CCleaner is a must have.

BetterPrivacy and FlashBlock for Firefox are nice.

Avira is better than Avast and other free traditional AV.

PrevX and/or ThreatFire are needed to complement it.

-free
-next gen AV

Microsoft Security Essentials is good too.
-free
-might be spying on you

Add Comodo or Outpost firewall and you're good to go!

RCA
05-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but Avast has been annoying as piss with it's expiration notifications and reminders, etc. I had to uninstall it just to make it get out of my face. The jury is still out on Super Anti Spyware. So far, it's really slow to load.

Mach
05-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry, but Avast has been annoying as piss with it's expiration notifications and reminders, etc. I had to uninstall it just to make it get out of my face. The jury is still out on Super Anti Spyware. So far, it's really slow to load.

Avast....... why don't you just register and that stuff will go away? It's free.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-15-2010, 10:27 AM

ha I know. last week I was too lazy to register it

Anti Federalist
05-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Edit: Here's one for people just wanting to track stuff down.

This^^^

After a couple of really bad malware attacks that nothing short of a reformat and reinstall could fix, I went this route.

While inside the sandbox, nothing can write to the root directory or registry.

I have tested it against know malware distributors, they hung up the browser and started all the silly pop up shit, but all it took was shutting down and restarting...poof, gone.

Highly recommended.

Mach
05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
This^^^

After a couple of really bad malware attacks that nothing short of a reformat and reinstall could fix, I went this route.

While inside the sandbox, nothing can write to the root directory or registry.

I have tested it against know malware distributors, they hung up the browser and started all the silly pop up shit, but all it took was shutting down and restarting...poof, gone.

Highly recommended.

I'll put up a link, go to it, download it, and we'll see if the sandbox works. :D

We'll do some real time testing. :rolleyes:

DamianTV
05-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Use a FIREWALL over ANTIVIRUS

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS HAVE FIREWALL RUNNING!!!
- Set Firewall to PROMPT for ANY Outgoing connection
- For Unexpected Outgoing Connection Attempts, tell it to fuck off once but dont make it a rule
- Permanenetly Block programs that shouldnt need to go online or update
- Exceptions:
- Web Browser
- Anti Virus for Updating
- Windows Update
- Email Client
- Specific Online games like World of Warcraft
- Single Player OFFLINE Only games should not phone home constantly
- Proxy Server
- File Sharing Programs (still dangerous, can download infected apps)
- Home Networking (not common)
- Use Common Sense - If something wants to "update" out of the blue, tell it to fuck off once
- Annoying as hell at first but once you figure out what to allow to talk and what not to, its much safer

Be Careful When Clicking Web Search Links
- Many links you find on Google are Ads that can be imposter programs
- The following programs are especially suseptible to Imposter Ads that will fuck up your box

With that said...

Install Firefox

Install Spybot Search & Destroy - Update, use IMMUNIZE feature (do this weekly)
- The Real Website is http://www.safer-networking.org

Get an "Ad Blocking Hosts File"

Disable 3rd Party Cookies

Disable FLASH Cookies

Turn OFF "Hide File Extensions for Known File Types"
- XP open "My Computer"
- Click on Tools -> Folder Options
- Click on VIEW Tab at the Top of the window
- Uncheck the Checkmark for "Hide File Extensions for Known File Types"
Optional:
- Check "Display the full path in the address bar"
- Set "Hidden Files and Folders" to Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files"
- Non XP - Need someone to post how to do this on Vista or Windows 7. Im lazy.

Some viruses try to hide themselves as operating system files or by markign themselves as hidden. It may be impossible to get rid of a virus without these steps. And as far as file extensions, nothing irritates me more as a Computer Tech than when someone doesnt have a clue as to what File Extensions are, so I will answer that briefly. Every file type has a purpose. For example, ".bmp" (bitmap) and ".jpg" (jpeg or "jaypeg") are types of PICTURES. Files with ".exe" are Executables, or programs. Turn on the file extensions so you can start becoming familiar with what types of files are used with their corresponding programs. You can edit .bmp's or .jpgs with a bunch of different programs, but you cant really edit a .exe unless you are a super advanced user. The reason this is important is because I see people burn themselves constantly by downloading BRITTNEY-SPEARS.MP3.EXE The file listed there will look like it is an MP3 or a music file, but since the file type is hidden from you (by default, I think its stupid to be default like that) you wont know that it is really a virus. If you just had the default options turned on, you would see BRITTNEY-SPEARS.MP3 and THINK that it looks like a legitimate file. MP3 Files should NEVER EVER have yet another file extension after the first file extension. Its a quick way to identify some file as one that you should not open. It doesnt contain the real file so dont bother trying to figure it out, just get rid of it immediately. Then empty your fucking Recycle Bin.

Uninstall Adobe version of Acrobat Reader - Use FOXIT Reader for PDF Docs

Uninstall Adobe Air and Adobe Updater. You dont need it.

If you have HIGH SPEED (pretty much ANYTHING other than DIALUP)
- Set your Browser to Clear Browsing History and Browser Cache on Exit. (privacy)

Uninstall ANY AND ALL TOOLBARS (Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, Facebook Toolbars, etc)

NO TOOLBARS, PERIOD! Got that? Good. Keep it that way. Toolbars are NOT your friend.

Uninstall Toolbars. Thats not a typo. The price for your convenience is a big security hole.

Stay the fuck away from most Add Ons and Plugins unless specified here in this thread
- Ad Block and Flash Block are OK, others, not so nice

Do NOT sign up for Free Shit with REAL Info!

Do NOT use your Personal or Private Email Addresses for signing up for Free Shit!

Do get a Disposable Email Address
- The Dispsable Email is necessary cuz I know you wont listen to Dont Sign Up for Free Shit
- Personal Emails go to ONE address, Business Emails and Bills go to ANOTHER
- Free Shit ALWAYS comes at a price. Are you willing to pay that price when the Piper comes?

Disable ALL unnecessary programs from running automatically on your computer
- If you are uncertain if a program is necessary or not, ask in this thread
- I recommend leaving FIREWALL enabled to run at ALL times, MANDATORY

Install some free Anti Virus

Disable the Free Anti Virus from running at all times. It makes your computer run like shit.

Install a 2nd Free Anti Virus and shut it off too.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. They are free anyway...

Enable and Use Anti Virus when needed or while doing something potentially dangerous, downloading files thru Bit Torrent (Im not advocating piracy, but lets face it, I cant stop it, if youre gonna do it, do it safely) make sure to scan the files before you try to use them.

Install a Proxy Client

Disable the Proxy Client from running automatically. Use only when necessary.
- Browsers may be set to use Proxy by Default afterwards, just turn off all proxy settings.

DISABLING PROGRAMS
- Start or Windows Icon -> Run or "Type the name of a program" -> MSCONFIG
- Go to Startup Tab on top. Not the SERVICES tab, dont mess with that, Startup Tab
- Services are programs that run at all times. Pretty much leave the Microsoft ones alone
- Novice users are better off just not messing with services
- Google is your friend. Find out what each Startup program does.
- Uncheck unnecessary Startup Programs
- Need someone to post how to do this in Windows Vista and Windows 7. Im lazy.

Google Search is your friend. Google Services are the fucking Devil.

You can use Google to educate yourself on just about anything. It is by far the most comprehensive search engine out there, and usually provides relevant links to your searches. But they go overboard and do not respect your privacy. Google is big because it makes money off of advertising, and the more they know about you, the more time you waste clicking on shit you dont need and buying crap you dont really want. But for Google to learn as much about you as possible, they opened up a whole new can of privacy worms by tracking everything they can, then providing free "services" to you so that you can fill in the blanks for them. This privacy shit is teh ultimate bad, m'kay? Dont use Google Services. But do use them for a search engine.

Above all else, make a reasonably honest effort to educate yourself.

Youre not going to learn all there is to be learned about computers in one night, or even if you put your nose to the books and focused for eight hours every day, it would still take years to learn everything. Most stuff you dont need to know, and is not relevant so dont waste your time. There are going to be only a few things that are relevant, those are what you need to learn. Find out what a firewall is, find out what a firewall does. Find out what a HOSTS file is. A week later, you hear a new security term, make an effort to find out what it is and why it concerns you. If youre not ready, no big deal, but dont stop trying to learn.

Dont be afraid to ask if you have questions. There are quite a few of us here that really really really know what the fuck is going on with computers, and most people can answer easy questions, like if you asked "why shouldnt I use Adobe Acrobat Reader" over "Foxit Reader", we can provide a fantastic very specific response, but to ask something like "how do I keep myself from getting infected on the internet" (no offense), you'll get a more general answer that wont overload you with info. Just keep making the honest effort to learn what things are.

Privacy: There are specific technical reasons why I am a privacy buff. I know what is out there. Our laws are changing, and very soon, the government will want to know everything they possibly can about anyone, so they can incarcarate anyone they dont like. By yourself, you do not stand a chance of fighting them head on and winning. The only thing you can do is to make it more difficult for them to learn about you. And its on both sides. The other side is the real CRIMINAL elements out there.

Many websites and scripts try to observe your Browser History to see if you have any Bank Accounts with Wells Fargo or Bank of America. Ok, so you know how like if you have been to a website before, that the link changes color the next time you see it come up? That is how they can tell if you bank with any of the major banks. These Criminal Networks are HUGE. Odds are you and everyone else has had their Browser History viewed by them by an order of magnitude larger than what you would expect. Here's the thing. I only need you to sign up for ONE of my "free" services, and once I have your email address (usually required when signing up for free shit) I can send you a piece of spam that LOOKS official because it came from the bank you DO bank with. Banks themselves are completely fucking evil, but that has no relevance to this thread. What a criminal can do to you if they can access your bank is bad enough. You bank with Bank of America and I send you an email saying something about your account being overdrawn, you are more likely to CLICK that link I just sent you than if you didnt bank with Bank of America. This is Social Engineering at its finest. Once you click the link, you will see a page that LOOKS like the Login page for Bank of America, but it really isnt. It is a FAKE website designed to TRICK you into giving up your REAL ACCOUNT INFORMATION. Once they get your user name and password, its all over. You might as well just give em the keys to your house, cuz they are gonna take it all, and dont give a fuck about you.

Truth is, nobody does. Yes, I said it. Nobody gives a fat flying flatulent fuck about you. You have to take responsibility to protect yourself. If you lose everything, I might be able to donate a hundred bucks to you but it will never replace everything you have lost. Of all the forum members here, only a very small percentage would have even close to the financial wherewithall to help you get back on your feet. By ourselves, we have very little power to help anyone. Each person can contribute a small ammt towards helping you, but if your situation is so grim, we may find it is pointless to try to help and just walk away. It isnt out of selfish behavior that we do this, it is because we are just as mostly powerless as you are for such a severe situation. Point is, dont get fucked to begin with and youre a lot better off.

I know this really sounded a lot like Tech Support from Jay and Silent Bob by dropping fucking F-Bombs every other fucking word, but it was also supposed to be slightly entertaining. Im sorry but most Tech Articles are as entertaining as watching paint dry. And the only way I can think of to spice it up is to come up with some bazaar inuendos and toss around a couple thousand F-Bombs, so have fun with it!

pcosmar
05-15-2010, 01:29 PM
^^^
WOW.

I just use Linux. I surf anywhere I please. NO Mal-ware, No Virus, No Trojans.
NO SHIT.
:cool:

I also don't waste time running scans or De-Fraging.

emazur
05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
What I use:
- Windows built-in firewall + wireless router's hardware firewall
- Microsoft Security Essentials for real-time antivirus, antispyware (I used AVG until recently, I'm trying MS to see if it's better, so far I'm happy)
- SpywareBlaster (prevents spyware from being installed in the first place, does not run in the background and does not use any CPU so won't slow your computer)
- Spybot for manual scan and removal of spyware

If you want a thorough security guide, this is pretty good:
http://www.mechbgon.com/build/security2.html

eOs
05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
If you are *really* concerned about security you could always switch to a linux distro. Other than that, all the suggestions here have been great. I use AVG, spybot S&D, and for my firewall I was using ZoneAlarm but have stopped because I hate the new version. And most of what Damian said was on point, but I'd have to disagree with him on disabling your antivirus. IMO, never disable it.

Fox McCloud
05-15-2010, 08:59 PM
I like AVG, but that's me
Spybot S&D is an absolute must.

"Ad-block plus" isn't a "super" security feature, but it does help a tiny bit and allows more efficient allocation of bandwidth (It's a plug-in for FireFox).

DamianTV
05-16-2010, 12:48 PM
The built in Windows Firewall is pretty much worthless.

Heres why. A lot of programs want to update themselves all the time, and try to make themselves run at all times. Like Quicktime. Flash also has this run at all times behavior now. As everyone knows, there are quite a few nastyware apps that update and download viruses. The reason the Windows Firewall is completely worthless is because it doesnt say jack sht about any program making an outgoing connection attempt. It does ok at blocking incoming traffic, not great but ok. But its the outgoing connections that are killing your computers. Little viruses turn into big viruses when Antivirus 2010 gets installed on your pc thru one of these smaller apps that run in the background.

Trust me, dump the windows firewall and put something else on. Zone Alarm, I like the Kerio Firewall. And this is all something even a Novice User can learn to use.

+1 Spybot is an Absolute Must!

Fox McCloud
05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
#1 security program you can install: you

only visiting trusted sites and downloading only trusted files almost completely eliminates most issues and problems.

Caution and common-sense goes further than all the firewalls, anti-virus, and anti-malware programs combined.

pcosmar
05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
#1 security program you can install: you

only visiting trusted sites and downloading only trusted files almost completely eliminates most issues and problems.

Caution and common-sense goes further than all the firewalls, anti-virus, and anti-malware programs combined.

And just how do you know a "trusted site" from an unknown site?
How do you know if a file is good before you check it?

I have been to sites that were claimed to be "Attack sites", but weren't. Just politically incorrect sites.

And weren't Google adds found to be used recently to carry malware?

pcosmar
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Trust me, dump the windows firewall and put something else on. Zone Alarm, I like the Kerio Firewall. And this is all something even a Novice User can learn to use.

+1 Spybot is an Absolute Must!

+1
Your Firewall is your first line of defense.

I recommend checking it,, regularly
I like this one, , have it scan ALL SERVICE PORTS.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Mach
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM

You can check files on your computer or you can check downloads on a particular site before you even download it.....

If you have a suspicious file you can submit it in the form below and our system will analyze your file with 24 AntiVirus Engines and will report back the analysis result.

http://scanner.novirusthanks.org/

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=237327&highlight=Google :D

pcosmar
05-16-2010, 07:39 PM
You can check files on your computer or you can check downloads on a particular site before you even download it.....

If you have a suspicious file you can submit it in the form below and our system will analyze your file with 24 AntiVirus Engines and will report back the analysis result.

Yeah but I can just open it and look.
.exe Doesn't. :D

Fox McCloud
05-16-2010, 08:16 PM

I have been to sites that were claimed to be "Attack sites", but weren't. Just politically incorrect sites.

Sure, nothing is perfect, I'm just saying that, generally speaking, common-sense goes further than most software.

As for Google ads? I recommend customize Google (cuts down on bandwidth too and increases security by forcing https://) As for checking websites? There are a number of plug-ins and programs.....AVG comes to mind, and FireFox has a built in system as well.

tsopranos
05-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned here. I see most of the talk has been about security.

Anything Auslogics is great. I've used the Disk Defrag, Registry Cleaner & Registry Defrag.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/

pacelli
05-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned here. I see most of the talk has been about security.

Anything Auslogics is great. I've used the Disk Defrag, Registry Cleaner & Registry Defrag.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/

As far as maintenance is concerned, I have to agree with you on Auslogics. I have their BoostSpeed program and it is complete. It covers disks, memory, registry, you name it. The program will even optimize your internet connection settings. Worth paying for beyond the free trial.

DamianTV
05-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Oh, and just briefly, expecially for you LINUX variant guys, its great and all that youre probably better protected, but that wasnt the point of this thread, this was more of a thread for what can an AVERAGE USER do to protect themselves from crap. Average Users are probably not going to even try to install any linux distro, expecicially when they find out they cant install Microsoft Word on it. They dont have enough experience to ask for a linux version of said application. Oh, and then there is the whole Flash debacle. Oh, and not just flash, linux users seem to be acquiring the attitude that old Macintosh users have shown windows users for years, with the whole "Ain't no Worms in my Apple" attiude. Youre not immue. Maybe a whole helluva lot better off, but youre not immune, and Im sorry, but the brag rights doesnt help the average user to become more than an average user IDIOT unless we point things out, like turn show Windows File Extensions on so they can see it isnt really an MP3, its MP3.EXE (*cough* nastyware) most likely.

So, I'll diss on you linux guys briefly, and VM ware, NO ONE IS PERFECT. I play around enough with linux to know it has strengths and weaknesses, but for convenience and compatability, I just stick with Windows for the most part.

Utterly Deceptive Twaddlespeak Says I Says You? Youre completely privacy immune? Uh, huh. Cant be infected? Okay... Lets start with the Privacy. Linux also uses a browser to browse the web. And those browsers also supports about 80% of the same shit as happens on Windows. And this is for the Average User, cookies! Or, supercookies! Supercookies only really apply if you are running Interweb Exploder 6 or below. How about your unique fingerprint? And this goes for EVERYONE. Try this link and see how you do...

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

pcosmar
05-19-2010, 02:01 PM
How about your unique fingerprint? And this goes for EVERYONE. Try this link and see how you do...

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 990,265 tested so far.

Is that good?

btw, when tested, I was running on my "open" settings. I can lock it down tighter, but it slows down browsing.

Mach
05-19-2010, 03:39 PM
If you want to get into privacy just disable any kind of script (EX:javascript) on your computer... although they are downright almost requiring scripts more and more as time goes on.

As far as Linux being safer I have to say I've read some stuff that I think is at least part of it, Linux just isn't as mainstream as Windows, so, "they" will go attack whatever they can get the most out of with the least amount of work, it's just a numbers game, even though the numbers are growing Windows still far outnumbers Linux.

I was going to get into Linux about 6-7 years ago , I ordered a Knoppix CD to check it out and it was a little too intricate for me, I could probably do a lot better now but I haven't even checked into any of the new Linux stuff for a long time.

DamianTV
05-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Is that good?

btw, when tested, I was running on my "open" settings. I can lock it down tighter, but it slows down browsing.

No, its not good.

Your lockdown settings probably wont do a damn thing, as your browser isnt responding with cookie information, its responding with "non aggregated data", such as your operating system and version, browser and browser version, certain web apps and plugins installed, (like flash, certain toolbars, BHO plugins, etc), even your System Fonts, and if it comes up unique, out of about a million tests, you can pretty well bet that advertisers are looking to eat up this data about you and track you UNIQUELY across the web. The "fingerprint" comes from a combination of all of these things. For example if we both have identical computers, and I update firefox, and use that as my browser, a company that looks at all the data our browsers send back to their servers can now tell the difference. And big companies are using this for tracking now instead of cookies.

And its not just one company that gets this data about you, its HUNDREDS. Probably THOUSANDS. Do you really think you can actually trust all of these companies to "protect your private data"? And do you really think that you are safe from someone using your information to abuse you? I dont need to have non aggregated data (name, social security number) to find out where you live, kill you, and rape and murder your daughter(s). (not that I really have any intention of hurting people, but there are people out there with the intention of hurting you for their own personal gain or pleasure, if you dont believe me, look at congress!).

It goes further past all this. It starts with advertising, and ends with a police report being filed about you. But it is okay that your internet ready refrigerator sends back a unique identifier to every superstore within 500 miles of you telling them what youve purchased and put in your fridge and what youre out of. There is something to be had by protecting your privacy, and your life is included in that. Granted that is an extremist situation, but what about when you get fined for having too much bacon in your fridge? BUt thats okay too because everyone gets fined for having too much unhealthy food in their fridge. My solution? Dont buy an internet ready fridge.

As far as not sending this data back to advertisers, Id recommend using an Ad Blocking Hosts File. Just google HOSTS FILE.

Unfortunately for those of you with Linux or Macs, as they are not as common of an Operating System, you have a much better chance of having a unique browser fingerprint... I will probably start spending some time and money to find a way to Masquerade my browser to something non unique, although I'll probably allow the Major Browser version to be sent, the rest of the stuff that makes me unique willl go bye bye. Havent found a Masquerading Program capable of doing what I want, Proxies are too slow for general browsing, and VPN's arent exactly 100% perfect either.

pacelli
05-21-2010, 07:31 AM
When I clicked on your link, it said that Firefox could not find the page. This happens alot on many websites where I have to refresh a couple times to pull up the page. Is there any remedy?

pcosmar
05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
No, its not good.

I realize that. I was being facetious . In fact the only way to not be unique is to have exactly the same OS, browser and plug-ins as everyone else.

I avoided getting a computer or having anything to do with a computer for many years.
While I was financing my first home I ran across this. I was told often that if I just went online I could do this or that.
All the information about me was online already. And I had never touched a computer.

So what is the point of trying to hide when it is all known?
My only interest in computer security is in keeping others out of my computer and retaining control of my system.

My prints are on file, as is my DNA, and records from Military service, arrests, prison, Public utilities, Rental addresses, etc,etc etc.

DamianTV
05-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, it sucks. Privacy is damn near gone. The line should have been drawn at the beginning of the war, not at the point one is ready to surrender.

The point of trying to hide is twofold. One is security. Advertisers get infected or can sometimes be tricked into advertising or distributing malware. The other point is if one of the major advertisers knows who you are and what you've said, you might just end up with the "inconvenience" of being put on the No Fly List for something as simple as being associated with Ron Paul, or labeled as a follower.

With Habeus Corpus out the window now, Im sure you can imagine what is coming. Ex Post Facto. You cant be charged with a crime that wasnt a crime yesterday but is today. Im sure that will be soon to follow right out the window. The dummies that enforce our ridiculus number of laws arent going to discriminate between a real terrorist, an anarchist, or someone that is just unhappy with the way our government is doing things and believes in balance and responsibility. They will slap a label on your ass as quick as they'd assume throw a muslim behind bars for drinking out of a sippy cup.

But thats all on the privacy issue. On the Computer Security issue, the chance that a computer will be infected with a virus is directly proportional to the number of network connections that a computer makes. If your computer talks to 50 different ad servers every time you hit one single webpage or follow one link, you'll be 50 times more likely to be exposed to a virus. If you go to one webpage, and only one network connection is open, chances are a lot less. I had to choose my wording carefully there, I said exposed, but that doesnt mean that being exposed caused an infection. No program is perfect, save the OFF button, and new vunerabilities for programs and ways into every computer are found every day, regardless of OS. Even if a Mac is as it has claimed to be, which is "perfect", it is still vunerable to "Man in the Middle" attacks, SSL exploits (super super difficult) or most likely tricking a user out of their bank account numbers by displaying a fake login page. Bleh, another wall of text post. I get carried away, sorry. And for the record, Im dont disagree with you.

Anything worth having is worth fighting for.

DamianTV
05-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Managing Your Privacy Online: Search Engines

http://www.techspot.com/guides/281-manage-search-engine-privacy/

(found this on BluesNews.com just now...)

One thing they dont mention is that you should NEVER sign in to your Search Engine, and always block cookies on your homepage.

DamianTV
06-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Must resist posting picture...

Resist fail...

Gah!

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/05/500x_computervirus.jpg

Sorry, coudnt help but to post teh funneh interweb pic!