PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good time for Libertarian government?

Smitty
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I've been a fan and a strong supporter of Ron Paul since I first started hearing his message of freedom and liberty many years ago. But taking into consideration the current "may crash any day" status of America's economy and social fabric, I have to wonder,..is this a good time for a Libertarian to take the helm?

My opinion is, there's nothing or nobody who is going to be able to correct the damage which has been done to the country before it becomes totally unglued. Whoever happens to be in a leadership role when that happens will have the blame placed on them and their political ideology. (most Americans either have short memories or no understanding of what has transpired over the past 15 years)

It troubles me to acknowledge it, but I don't think it's long term beneficial to the liberty movement to have libertarian minded politicians involved in government until after the government mandated meltdown has touched every American enough for them to understand how bad it really is,... where it came from, and why.

This mess belongs to the Democrat and Republican leadership, and there's should be no confusion in where to point the finger.

Erazmus
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
"Libertarian government." :D

JosephTheLibertarian
04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
"Libertarian government." :D

oxymoron :D

Stary Hickory
04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Always time for liberty. Communities, Counties, Cities, Towns, States, and individuals should just start doing things THEIR way and not the Federal way.

That's libertarian. Just leave people the eff alone.

Smitty
04-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I understand your point, but generally speaking, Libertarianism isn't the complete lack of a government entity.

Chester Copperpot
04-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I've been a fan and a strong supporter of Ron Paul since I first started hearing his message of freedom and liberty many years ago. But taking into consideration the current "may crash any day" status of America's economy and social fabric, I have to wonder,..is this a good time for a Libertarian to take the helm?

My opinion is, there's nothing or nobody who is going to be able to correct the damage which has been done to the country before it becomes totally unglued. Whoever happens to be in a leadership role when that happens will have the blame placed on them and their political ideology. (most Americans either have short memories or no understanding of what has transpired over the past 15 years)

It troubles me to acknowledge it, but I don't think it's long term beneficial to the liberty movement to have libertarian minded politicians involved in government until after the government mandated meltdown has touched every American enough for them to understand how bad it really is,... where it came from, and why.

This mess belongs to the Democrat and Republican leadership, and there's should be no confusion in where to point the finger.

Ive thought about this as well... As TPTB get put under pressure, they might just take their hands off the wheel so to speak and let a libertarian take it, but not before the whole bus crashes so they can point blame to the libertarians..

I think thats why education is important.. If the people are educated then they know who to blame.. Stay the course...

Erazmus
04-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I understand your point, but generally speaking, Libertarianism isn't the complete lack of a government entity.

It just struck me when I read the subject title. I don't think I've ever heard those two words strung together like that. Made me laugh, but I understood where you were going. :p

speciallyblend
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
just need a new brandname and a new political coalition and a new party. the lp is useless and a tarnished brandname and party!!,kinda like the gop might become!

we need to unite all the 3rd party leaders tp/lp/cp and indys and rpr and rpd and liberty-minded voters under a new brandname and platform/party if the gop does not shape up!! for the folks that say this cannot be done. i say bs or we wouldn't have a republican party!!

Agorism
04-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Libertarianism isn't really about preserving or saving it. It's about destroying it.

Smitty
04-09-2010, 09:26 AM
I agree that the GOP is FUBAR.

Way too many war mongering, big government idiots associate their ideas with the Republican party for it to ever be a vehicle for liberty minded individuals.

fisharmor
04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Smitty, remember one of RPs talking points from 2008, one that I think didn't get enough air time and the one I think we ought to hammer on incessantly.

If we completely abolished the personal income tax, and replaced it with nothing at all, we'd need to take federal spending levels back to the year 2000.

Now, if RP was at the helm, he'd be doing everything in his power to roll back spending to more like Coolidge levels. There would be a crash, but it would be the crash of the doors of government do-nothing agencies shutting. There would be lots of people out of work, who were used to getting six figures to do absolutely nothing of value, and I'd wager there'd be a more serious adjustment period for them than there would be for people who actually work to go find new jobs after getting laid off.

But the rest of us? No income tax would mean an almost 50% raise, overnight. Think about it: if we pay 30% in taxes, we only take home 2/3 of our income. Another 1/3 on top of that is an additional 50%.

What would you do with an extra 50% income? All those government toads would be SOL, but the economy in general would make the 80's look like a freakin' sideshow.

Erazmus
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Smitty, remember one of RPs talking points from 2008, one that I think didn't get enough air time and the one I think we ought to hammer on incessantly.

If we completely abolished the personal income tax, and replaced it with nothing at all, we'd need to take federal spending levels back to the year 2000.

Now, if RP was at the helm, he'd be doing everything in his power to roll back spending to more like Coolidge levels. There would be a crash, but it would be the crash of the doors of government do-nothing agencies shutting. There would be lots of people out of work, who were used to getting six figures to do absolutely nothing of value, and I'd wager there'd be a more serious adjustment period for them than there would be for people who actually work to go find new jobs after getting laid off.

But the rest of us? No income tax would mean an almost 50% raise, overnight. Think about it: if we pay 30% in taxes, we only take home 2/3 of our income. Another 1/3 on top of that is an additional 50%.

What would you do with an extra 50% income? All those government toads would be SOL, but the economy in general would make the 80's look like a freakin' sideshow.

Couple that with a cut in the 40% corporate tax rate = more job creation in the private sector.

Smitty
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't doubt that anything which limits the power of the federal government to tax the people would be beneficial to the people. But the first item of business would be to abolish the federal reserve.

As long as it's in business, it can tax the people at will simply by printing more money and taking your money through inflation.

Again,..I have nothing against Ron Paul's ideas. I just don't think any of them can be implemented as long as our current form of government is viable enough to fool the majority into believing that it has things under control.

Americans aren't going to embrace a different system until they get a complete smack down from the current system.

And it's coming. I just don't want it to be blamed on small government, libertarian ideology.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't doubt that anything which limits the power of the federal government to tax the people would be beneficial to the people. But the first item of business would be to abolish the federal reserve.

As long as it's in business, it can tax the people at will simply by printing more money and taking your money through inflation.

Again,..I have nothing against Ron Paul's ideas. I just don't think any of them can be implemented as long as our current form of government is viable enough to fool the majority into believing that it has things under control.

Americans aren't going to embrace a different system until they get a complete smack down from the current system.

And it's coming. I just don't want it to be blamed on small government, libertarian ideology.

Libertarians do not need to be in government. Since I am coming fresh out of the Va. thread from posting a Lincoln speech all libertarians need to adopt is what Lincoln said:

RIGHT MAKES MIGHT.

Libertarians need only clearly articulate the injustice and do their duty to resist injustice and let nature do her work.