PDA

View Full Version : Overtaxed homeowners start to fight back

disorderlyvision
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Millions paying property taxes based on value of home before bubble burst
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36193041/ns/business-real_estate/

Now that the housing bubble has burst, up to 60 percent of the nation's taxable property may be overassessed, meaning owners are paying thousands of dollars more in taxes than they need to, experts say.

That is leading to a flood of appeals in many markets from homeowners eager to cut their taxes and speed the process of aligning tax valuations with reality.

While home prices have fallen by 30 percent on average since their 2007 peak, according to the Case-Shiller Home Price Index, many counties only reassess every three to five years and have little incentive to move faster considering how important property taxes are to funding local government operations.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

So homeowners are increasingly appealing the valuations, although the number is still a tiny fraction of the total — 2 to 4 percent, according to the National Taxpayers Union.

“People forget they need to appeal,” said Barbara Payne, executive director of the Fulton County Taxpayers Foundation in Georgia. “Everyone should have appealed more than once in the last five years or you’re paying too much.”

Those who appeal are getting mixed results. Only 20 to 40 percent of those who challenge their assessment walk away with a victory, the NTU said.

“Appeals have become more difficult in the last two years now that municipalities are fighting tooth and nail for everything,” said Anthony Sarro, president of eTaxReductions.com, a company that represents people on property tax appeals.

Stary Hickory
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Obviously taxes ought to decrease with the REAL value of the home. This is kind of absurd.

Elwar
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
They re-adjusted our home values here in Florida...at least in my county.

Fortunately I bought my house as a short sale and homesteaded it so it can only go up by a certain percentage per year.

DamianTV
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I wonder if the government, with its current budget shortfalls, has even bothered to calculate how much money they are gonna lose in taxes, or rather, never should have been taking in to begin with!

TonySutton
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I am the only renter in my work group, there are 6 of us. All my co-workers have requested reassessments this last year due to falling home values.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-08-2010, 11:21 AM
You can fight back by selling your home :) become a renter

Bman
04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
You can fight back by selling your home :) become a renter

I fail to see how renting protects you from property taxes. I doubt your landlord doesn't factor in property taxes when setting the price for a property to be rented.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I fail to see how renting protects you from property taxes. I doubt your landlord doesn't factor in property taxes when setting the price for a property to be rented.

less revenue for the state, though. if every homeowner did that, the government would have a real problem.