PDA

View Full Version : IRS chief: Buy health insurance or lose your tax refund

..PAUL4PRES..
04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Individuals who don’t purchase health insurance may lose their tax refunds according to IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman. After acknowledging the recently passed health-care bill limits the agency’s options for enforcing the individual mandate, Shulman told reporters that the most likely way to penalize individuals that don’t comply is by reducing or confiscating their tax refunds.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/05/irs-chief-buy-health-insurance-or-lose-your-tax-refund/#ixzz0kTT0oSNv

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Easy enough. Claim 35 million dependents.;)

JeNNiF00F00
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
lol what tax refunds?

speciallyblend
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
so what happens, when you had insurance but your own insurance company bankrupts you and your broke. are they gonna make uninsured containment camps for the poor?? what fin tax refunds??

they can go f themselves!!!

these people are fin insane!!! so if you can't buy insurance now, they fine you?, then what arrest you? then what containment camps? then what 3 free meals at least??

Danke
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Increase your allowances so you are not due a refund.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Nothing less than coercion

DapperDan
04-07-2010, 09:49 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll70/Wikketz/bum-giving-the-finger-784479.jpg

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM

35 million dependents. Yes. I'd say you sir have put no money into the system, have only drawn from it, and after the insurance penalty you are due $20k. Thank you for filing.:D

qh4dotcom
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
The folks who have to write a check every April 15th are more likely pissed off at the government than the ones getting a refund. Hopefully this will piss off the refunded ones.

Erazmus
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
If the IRS thought there was an anti-IRS movement before, wait till they start hijacking returns.

Kylie
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
The folks who have to write a check every April 15th are more likely pissed off at the government than the ones getting a refund. Hopefully this will piss off the refunded ones.

Unfortunately, a good portion of the people who receive tax refunds are also probably having their insurance paid for by you and I. So they get 9500 and insurance for the family, you and I get the bill....and we get fined.

This is not going to work out well.

acptulsa
04-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Actually, most of us are in that position by design--we prefer not to let them draw interest on our money when we could have it ourselves; and we prefer not to wind up in the situation where they get a wild hair and keep it as a semi-Constitutional, non-due-process, quasi-fine for bad behavior.

This is not going to work out well.

This being an election year, I must ask--not well for whom? ;)

ChaosControl
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I have $0 withheld. I will never have a tax refund. Why give the government a free loan all year? No one should have a refund, everyone should claim 10 dependencies. (More than 10 I guess have to be reported to the IRS).

QueenB4Liberty
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I have $0 withheld. I will never have a tax refund. Why give the government a free loan all year? No one should have a refund, everyone should claim 10 dependencies. (More than 10 I guess have to be reported to the IRS).

Wait, what? You lie and claim 10 dependents every time you file and you get away with it every time?

angelatc
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Bingo.

Except that they don't really care. It doesn't take a genius to see that they don't really want people to buy insurance - if they did, the penalty would exceed the price of a policy.

angelatc
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Wait, what? You lie and claim 10 dependents every time you file and you get away with it every time?

I think he claims 10 on his W4, so his withholding is 0. You can't file 10 unless you also have 10 fake SSNs.

QueenB4Liberty
04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I think he claims 10 on his W4, so his withholding is 0. You can't file 10 unless you also have 10 fake SSNs.

Wow so the feds never see your w4, they just see when you file? Interesting. And there are ways to get fake SSN's...just saying....;)

JosephTheLibertarian
04-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Individuals who don’t purchase health insurance may lose their tax refunds according to IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman. After acknowledging the recently passed health-care bill limits the agency’s options for enforcing the individual mandate, Shulman told reporters that the most likely way to penalize individuals that don’t comply is by reducing or confiscating their tax refunds.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/05/irs-chief-buy-health-insurance-or-lose-your-tax-refund/#ixzz0kTT0oSNv

I already received my IRS refund lol.

angelatc
04-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I already received my IRS refund lol.

THe law doesn't kick in until 2014, IIRC

acptulsa
04-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Umm... He's not talking about when he files. He's talking about when he fills out his withholding form (is it W-2 or W-4, I get mixed up?) and gives it to his employer. You can have as little or as much withholding as you like, with the proviso that if you don't have enough withheld to cover a healthy percentage of what you will owe you have to make quarterly tax payments. Not just a payment with your return--quarterly tax payments.

The name of the game as far as I'm concerned is to set the withholding so I owe a few bucks come April. But, since they change the tax law every freaking year, it isn't particularly easy to maintain that.

ChaosControl
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Umm... He's not talking about when he files. He's talking about when he fills out his withholding form (is it W-2 or W-4, I get mixed up?) and gives it to his employer. You can have as little or as much withholding as you like, with the proviso that if you don't have enough withheld to cover a healthy percentage of what you will owe you have to make quarterly tax payments. Not just a payment with your return--quarterly tax payments.

The name of the game as far as I'm concerned is to set the withholding so I owe a few bucks come April. But, since they change the tax law every freaking year, it isn't particularly easy to maintain that.

Yes.

I don't make quarterly payments though. I have yet to pay a single dime in income taxes for 2009.

My first and only payment will be tomorrow.

If you don't do quarterly, you do get a tax penalty, considering I owe a low amount to begin with it is a negligible amount, and I prefer keeping my money throughout the year and preventing the IRS from getting any early than the $50 penalty or so. I imagine the penalty is a fair bit higher if you owe more, but I don't know.

jsu718
04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I withhold 0 every year and still get a refund... you just can't win.

ChaosControl
04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I withhold 0 every year and still get a refund... you just can't win.

Do you have children and make very little money?

jsu718
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Do you have children and make very little money?

No and sort of... depends on what you call "very little"

ChaosControl
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
No and sort of... depends on what you call "very little"

Less than 20k/year?

jsu718
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Less than 20k/year?

Technically, no... taxably, slightly.

Edit: Unemployment benefits at 100% for the year come out to 21.6k

jkr
04-14-2010, 06:37 PM
KMA or SMD

catdd
04-14-2010, 06:38 PM
They just keep pushing it don't they?

QueenB4Liberty
04-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Oh, why do you want to owe? So you can not pay it? (I'm not trying to be snotty--just wondering) I don't understand much about taxes, except I've gotten a bigger refund every year (because I've made more and more lol) but I'm not complaining.