PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Sad Youtube-Ignorance of a Congressman

ssforronpaul
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
YouTube - LoBiondo dosen't know the US Constitution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTiTYDOQd8&feature=player_embedded)

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 08:27 PM
frikken lovely. take them to task and watch them run and evade!

edit: Good question to ask..what is your job description.

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
"You're out of order..."

"No, CONGRESS is out of order, and you are a reason why -- NO incumbents in 2010!"

KCIndy
04-07-2010, 08:35 PM
With the exception of our good Dr. Paul, I would be willing to bet that NONE of our Congressional representatives have a very good knowledge of the Constitution.

brandon
04-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Interesting video, but it seems neither of them really have a completely defensible understanding of the consitution. Article 1 Section 1 does not say, and should not be interpreted to mean, that we shouldn't have "activist" judges. When judges rule on cases, they are making common law rulings, they are not legislating.

04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
No applause from the room? C'mon!

RSLudlum
04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Interesting video, but it seems neither of them really have a completely defensible understanding of the consitution. Article 1 Section 1 does not say, and should not be interpreted to mean, that we shouldn't have "activist" judges. When judges rule on cases, they are making common law rulings, they are not legislating.

I was waiting for his second point to be about the executive legislating through department regulatory policies but it didn't happen. But it was a hell of a well prepared question.

specsaregood
04-07-2010, 09:00 PM
//

jake
04-07-2010, 09:15 PM
No applause from the room? C'mon!

sad.. at the very least the guy is to be respected for his knowledge of the constitution

Reason
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Would have been nice if that guy had been wearing a suit, sucked his gut in, and lost the headband...

It's in our best interest to avoid fitting into stereotypes.

/flame on

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
the representative from my district in NJ voted a big fat NAY on the healthcare bill :D

Reason
04-07-2010, 09:35 PM
the representative from my district in NJ voted a big fat NAY on the healthcare bill :D

All the neocons voted against it...

All the neocons are co-sponsors of 1207 too...

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Would have been nice if that guy had been wearing a suit, sucked his gut in, and lost the headband...

It's in our best interest to avoid fitting into stereotypes.

/flame on

OK I'll give ya the flame on. Just for fun sake because I see were your coming from with this Reason.

If that individual were a farmer contesting government action wearing overhauls (yes I spelt it correctly) and shit covered Wellingtons should his point have been lessened?

We are who we are. We have a right to question our public officials and we shouldn't have to shop on 50% off days at JoS. A, Banks to do it.

silus
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Memorization tests have nothing to do with this. Einstein was once asked in Boston what is the speed of sound, and he responded, he did not carry such information in his mind, that it was readily available in textbooks... Does he not know the laws of physics???

I don't understand how you can challenge someones views with a memorization test. That is complete bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. But it did serve to enhance himself and ridicule the other man. :shrug

brandon
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Memorization tests have nothing to do with this. Einstein was once asked in Boston what is the speed of sound, and he responded, he did not carry such information in his mind, that it was readily available in textbooks... Does he not know the laws of physics???

I don't understand how you can challenge someones views with a memorization test. That is complete bullshit. But it did serve to enhance himself and ridicule the other man. :shrug

I agree. Was thinking the same thing.

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
4400 words. 4 sheets of parchment. How many of these apply to his specific job? No child left behind? Every person elected to Congress should be able to quote the specifics of those powers WE grant THEM verbatim.

edit: Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

evilfunnystuff
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM

I don't understand how you can challenge someones views with a memorization test. That is complete bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. But it did serve to enhance himself and ridicule the other man. :shrug

Bad comparison imho. When talking about a subject like physics there is a seemingly infinite amount of info.

Now I'm not saying the guy should have it word for word memorized but he should have a general idea of what the sections deal with, it is not a very long or complex document, and he swore an oath to uphold it.

Again I'm not sayin he should necessarily have every word tattooed in his brain (would be preferable though), but he should have a general idea of what the articles and sections entail.

tpreitzel
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
When we see traitors everywhere, sometimes it's just plain difficult to control our emotions. Instead of a meltdown, at least the questioner was in a controlled vent of his anger. The questioner should have asked a specific question, but framed it in a larger context, e.g. an issue supported by LoBiondo but which is not specifically authorized under Article 1, Section 8.

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Again I say, The lawmakers tell us "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

So, what then, when our lawmakers don't know the LAW?

Reason
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM
If that individual were a farmer contesting government action wearing overhauls (yes I spelt it correctly) and shit covered Wellingtons should his point have been lessened?

We are who we are. We have a right to question our public officials and we shouldn't have to shop on 50% off days at JoS. A, Banks to do it.

1. Duh

2. I think you missed my point, my point being that if I wanted to use this video to further our message, it would be more effective if the man did not fit perfectly into the standard stereotype of a "right winger".

silus
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Bad comparison imho. When talking about a subject like physics there is a seemingly infinite amount of info.

Now I'm not saying the guy should have it word for word memorized but he should have a general idea of what the sections deal with, it is not a very long or complex document, and he swore an oath to uphold it.
No. We aren't talking about infinite amounts of info, we are talking about finite, EXTREMELY basic, fundamentals of physics. The speed of sound.

But that is beside the point. The point Einstein may have suggested is that people shouldn't confuse memorization with a true grasp of how to put into action laws and ideas. And I think that is a universal lesson. Maybe the congressman's memorization is a sort of indicator, but its not reliable. So why waste your time with that? Examine how he applies the constitution. Examine his grasp, his understanding of the articles and how it relates to certain subjects. This is something worth questioning.

04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
2. I think you missed my point, my point being that if I wanted to use this video to further our message, it would be more effective if the man did not fit perfectly into the standard stereotype of a "right winger".

I showed this video to my gf (who isn't into politics at all) and she was just upset with how little the representative knew about the constitution; no mention of the man speaking or his attire. I think she might have been more upset than I was. :)

lx43
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
He should have asked him to list the powers granted to Congress under Article 1, section 8, then called him to task on things he voted for not granted by those powers. ;)