PDA

View Full Version : Can we manipulate Treyson's google page?

Distinguished Gentleman
04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
You guys probably saw the other day when Ron linked the AIG/Grayson strange allies story in the Blue Grass Bulletin. I started wondering why the person who controls RP's facebook would bother to smear Grayson in front of people who were firmly Rand. Then I saw that the relatively small blog had made it too the front page for those that Googled Trey Grayson. (It's gone now.)

I don't know if it was on purpose, but it's solid strategy if something as simple as a facebook post could manipulate our enemies front pages. I'm curious if anyone knows how the page ranking/news listing system works or if their were any ideas about how to manipulate it.

Edit* I know this is the general forum but I think it applies to all our candidates and not just Rand.

Shotdown1027
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
There are a number of companies that do this professionally--though generally they're involved in the positive aspect (protecting clients from this sort of thing).

Frankly, I think it is more likely that this will happen to Rand than to Trey, and it would be more damaging to Rand. I've tried to contact the campaign about 10 times about this.

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 03:05 PM
It's called a "link-bomb" and the way to do it is to get 1000-ish sites and blogs together to all post a given link under the same hyperlinked text.

For example, say you wanted to direct Googlesearch "Grey Trayson" traffic over to "http://www.billclintonsupporters.com/" or some such. You have 1000 bloggers, webmasters etc all link the exact text "Grey Trayson" to "http://www.billclintonsupporters.com/" somewhere on their front page (top level domain) and that site will take a major bounce in rankings.

If you control the redirect site, then using the text "Grey Trayson" in the page title, meta, and body text (along with doing the linkbomb) will bounce it even more.

Distinguished Gentleman
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
www.treygrayson.info, the attack page a forum member put up has made it to the front page. I agree that it is likely a good investment since so many "news" sources try to smear him. It would be even better for guys like lawson or Kokesh who's online presence is small enough that a single blog post makes the front page. We actually have the online infrastructure to combat this because everything Ron, LRC, and others post typically get linked too.

Curious note, type in Rand Paul S, and google suggests Rand Paul s a t a n i s m. I wonder how that came too be? - (Never Mind It's a dumb story about Chris Hightower from barefoot progressive, don't google it or give it traffic.)

What about twitter and forum posts, do they influence ranking?