PDA

View Full Version : Where are my environmentalists?

silverhandorder
04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
James Cameron the director of "Avatar" is coming to my gf's school. There will be a contest to make a 3 minute speech about lessons learned from avatar. We just found out about it and she is excited about participating.

I will be helping her make the case that would be appealing to both liberals and conservatives.

Our first idea was to draw a parallel of how the factions that are present in the movie (Marines, scientists and investors) have become warped by the environment and no longer serve the function they once did. Marines are no longer protectors but oppressors. Scientists who set out on a noble mission to expand knowledge of biology are turned to tools of war. The corporation that does the mining sanctions crimes. Any faction on their own is no longer in control of the situation.

As such all these factions are drawn by the wealth of a resource that represents government plunder.

The Navi (natives) have a choice to fight humans on their terms aka using government power in return or to pick and choose their battles. They first choose to fight back the conventional way. However even though they are more numerous they are also less organized and have less to fight for. As such humans easily gain the upper hand. This would represent how the environmental movement was co-opted and soon stands to perish.

However there is a solution. That is to reject the gun in the room and achieve a peaceful solution. An action movie block buster usually replaces this part with more violence as in the ambush on the attackers. Anyways we have more more to say but we need to fit into a 3 minute time frame. Also the deadline is this Friday and we will be shooting the clip on Friday. I will upload the result here. We will be working and practicing on the speech tonight and tomorrow. Any input would be appreciated.

silverhandorder
04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
bump no ideas? :(

jkr
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
i agree, the "greens" are being used, by ge & others.

i want things to work better too, but this carbon nonsense is beyond thunderdome.
sad.
i think it will impead natural gains in favor of state sanctioned (faschism) approved vendors.