PDA

View Full Version : Obama to appoint another Supreme Court justice?

Matt Collins
04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/supreme-court-scramble-both-sides-prepping-for-possibile-stevens-retirement.php?ref=fpb

Call it the Stevens Supreme Court Scramble -- both sides are preparing for the next confirmation battle royale, should Justice John Paul Stevens' strong hints in recent days that he'll soon retire pan out.

Stary Hickory
04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Hes a liberal who does not follow the Constitution. Really would we be any worse off in any case? He is a disgrace and should have never held the position.

Krugerrand
04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Hes a liberal who does not follow the Constitution. Really would we be any worse off in any case? He is a disgrace and should have never held the position.

Only worse off in the sense that a replacement will be younger.

angelatc
04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Over the past weekend, Stevens specifically said he is going to retire to ensure that Obama names his replacement.

The people who watch these things have been reporting for months that Stevens hasn't replaced his clerks as they leave, signaling that his retirement is eminent.

If he stays on the bench for not too much longer, (i forget how long) he could achieve the distinction of becoming the longest serving SCOTUS judge in our history. If memory serves me correctly though, that would mean not retiring before this presidential term expires, so it could be a gamble, considering there are people who think Obama won't be reelected. ( I am not one of them....)

It was pretty much assumed that Steven would retire during Obama's tenure, so this isn't really shocking.

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I hate to say it, but right now, if one of our 'conservative' justices learns that they have a fatal affliction, then they have a dam DUTY to die on the bench while in the middle of listening to testimony if needs be, holding out the hope that they do indeed make it beyond the Obama years....

Aratus
04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
we are less than three turbulent years away from a ron paul, sarah palin or
mitt romney presidency or even someone sorta similar to a morph of all three?

Number19
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Supreme Court justices must be confirmed by the Senate. Next November the Democrats are going to lose seats, maybe lose their majority. So he needs to retire this year.

The Republicans can also filibuster the nomination just as they did with the health bill.

"...A simple majority vote is required to confirm or to reject a nominee...a nominee may be filibustered once debate on the nomination has begun in the full Senate. A filibuster indefinitely prolongs the debate, preventing a final vote on the nominee. While senators may attempt to filibuster a Supreme Court nominee in an attempt to thwart confirmation, no nomination for Associate Justice has ever been filibustered. However, President Lyndon Johnson's nomination of sitting Associate Justice Abe Fortas to succeed Earl Warren as Chief Justice was successfully filibustered in 1968...". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States

Slutter McGee
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
The Supreme Court is the most undemocratic part of our government. I think they are a necessary part, but it is kind of sad that one of the last hopes for liberty resides in a man who is a moderate. I think that Justice Kennedy is probably the 3rd most powerful man in the world after Bernanke and Obama.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

speciallyblend
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
maybe the gop should of thought of that before they lied and steam rolled Ron Paul and elected obama!!

KCIndy
04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
My choice for the next Supreme Court justice would be Judge Napolitano! :D

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
My choice for the next Supreme Court justice would be Judge Napolitano! :D

+9 -- make that Chief Justice! :D :D

phill4paul
04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
+9 -- make that Chief Justice! :D :D

+ anumberandmanynothings

How can we make this happen?