PDA

View Full Version : Anti-abortion Stupak mulling retirement

bobbyw24
04-07-2010, 10:01 AM
So says MSNBC, which reports this morning that the anti-abortion Michigan Democrat is simply worn out from all the attention (i.e., criticism) he and his family took during the marathon debate over health care reform.

The Democrat best known this year as the Democrat who delivered the winning margin of votes for the president’s health-care reform bill is said to be simply exhausted. The criticism he received — first from the left, and then from the right — has worn him and his family out. And if he had to make the decision now, he’d probably NOT run. As of this writing, a bunch of senior Democrats (many of the same ones who twisted his arm on the health care vote) are trying to talk him into running. The filing deadline in Michigan is still a month away, but veterans of that state’s politics are skeptical anyone other than Stupak can hold that district in this political climate.

http://coloradoindependent.com/50794/msnbc-anti-abortion-stupak-mulling-retirement

JosephTheLibertarian
04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
He sucks. I hope he doesn't run.

pcosmar
04-07-2010, 10:20 AM
He is pro-Socialized Medicine Stupak.
Abortion is his red herring political tool. :(

bobbyw24
04-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Stupak to retire
By Michael O'Brien - 04/09/10 08:36 AM ET
Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) is expected to announce his retirement on Friday.

Stupak, a centrist Democratic lawmaker from northern Michigan, will say during a press conference this morning that he won't pursue reelection this fall.

First elected in 1992, Stupak had played a key role in the contentious healthcare debate in Congress in the last year. Stupak lead a bloc of fellow Democrats who oppose abortion rights to demand the inclusions of provisions that would restrict the extent to which federal funds would subsidize the purchase of health insurance plans covering abortion.

That fight drew the ire of liberal groups, as well as the displeasure of conservatives, who had in part hoped that the hangup over abortion in the bill would contribute to the overall defeat of the reform legislation.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/91307-stupak-to-retire

Elle
04-09-2010, 07:07 AM
He wouldn't have been re elected anyways. I live in his district. Everyone I know is extremely unhappy with Stupak.

MsDoodahs
04-09-2010, 07:08 AM
In the future, when either your "tax refund" is withheld by the IRS to pay your fine for not buying health insurance, or your wages are garnished by the IRS to pay your fine for not buying health insurance, you should make sure you remember to thank...

Bart Stupak.

pcosmar
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM
He just announced that he is "retiring" and mentioned angry E-mails.
In fact he is being FIRED. He will not be elected again.