PDA

View Full Version : La. Rep. pushes "drug offeneder notice" on DL's

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Panel endorses ‘drug offender’ notice

LIZ CONDO/The Advocate

Motorists convicted of two or more felony drug offenses would be required to carry a driver’s license with the words “drug offender” in orange letters under a bill endorsed Tuesday by a House committee.

“This bill will let everybody know who they are,” said Rep. Rickey Hardy, D-Lafayette and sponsor of the measure. “Let’s give the drug offender another obstacle.”

The proposal is House Bill 139. It cleared the House Transportation Committee without objection and faces action in the full House.

The bill would apply to those convicted two or more times of felony possession of a controlled substance. The added wording on a driver’s license or identification card would be in effect for eight years.

Hardy said his plan is aimed at a growing drug culture.

“Mr. Chairman, I grew up in the ’hood, I live in the ’hood,” Hardy said. “I see it everyday. This bill will make it uncomfortable for drug dealers to be on the streets.”

Hardy compared his proposal to the state requiring convicted sex offenders to register with authorities.

He said his bill would also aid law enforcement.

“It would give the officers who would stop that person a heads up on who he is dealing with,” Hardy said. “It would put him on high alert.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/90064102.html?showAll=y&c=y

ARealConservative
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/90064102.html?showAll=y&c=y

Hardy compared his proposal to the state requiring convicted sex offenders to register with authorities.

sex offenders had actual victims stepping forward claiming a rights violation.

Bruno
04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
“It would give the officers who would stop that person a heads up on who he is dealing with,” Hardy said. “It would put him on high alert.”

Translation: Probable cause to perform a warrantless search on the vehicle.

jkr
04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
i'd compare it to the scarlett letter.

i thought demoncrates were advocates for the poor?
find this jerk something to do!

Why does he hate america?

jkr
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
why dont we put something on polititions id so they will pay their fines & taxes?

dannno
04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I despise people who claim they are from the 'hood' but don't understand any of the problems.

It seems like most people from the 'hood' have a much better idea than the people who make it out. I wonder why that is. Maybe because they hate it so much and they hate the people there.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I despise people who claim they are from the 'hood' but don't understand any of the problems.

It seems like most people from the 'hood' have a much better idea than the people who make it out. I wonder why that is. Maybe because they hate it so much and they hate the people there.

zing!!

CountryboyRonPaul
04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I will support this if the state adds in an amendment that says.

"All elected officials will have their criminal records displayed next to their name in the voting booth. Along with all accusations of corruption made against them."