PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Author Naomi Wolf: "Tea Parties Help Fight Fascism!"

BuddyRey
04-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Amazing...amazing! :eek:

Don't forget to Digg it!

ht tp://digg.com/political_opinion/Naomi_Wolf_Thinks_the_Tea_Parties_Help_Fight_Fasci sm_Is_S

http://www.alternet.org/news/146184/naomi_wolf_thinks_the_tea_parties_help_fight_fasci sm_--_is_she_on_to_something_or_in_fantasy_land__

Naomi Wolf Thinks the Tea Parties Help Fight Fascism -- Is She Onto Something or in Fantasy Land?
Naomi Wolf, author of 'End of America,' talks about why she has become an improbable Tea Party darling, and if progressives can learn from the conservative activists.
March 30, 2010

In her bestselling End of America, Naomi Wolf outlines the 10 warning signs that America is headed toward a fascist takeover. Using historical precedents, she explains how our government is mimicking those of Mussolini, Hitler and Stalin through practices like surveillance of ordinary citizens, restricting the press, developing paramilitary forces and arbitrarily detaining people.

The book was lauded by liberals under Bush: the Independent Publishers gave it the Freedom Fighter Award; John Nichols at the Nation named it the most valuable political book of 2007. Now, under President Obama, Wolf's book is providing ammunition for the Tea Partiers, Patriots, Ron Paul supporters and Oath Keepers, who also warn of impending tyrannical government. Even when the book first came out pre-Obama, Alex Jones, Michael Savage and Fox News invited her on their shows, and agreed with her.

It’s not just her message. She speaks their language, referring to the Founding Fathers and American Revolution as models, admitting to a profound sense of fear, warning of tyranny, fascism, Nazism and martial law. When Glenn Beck warns of these things we laugh. When Wolf draws those same connections, we listen. How can both sides be speaking the same language, yet see things so differently? Or are we just not listening to each other? I telephoned Wolf to ask her what it means when your book ends up bolstering policies you oppose.

Justine Sharrock: First off, is your book still relevant under Obama?

Naomi Wolf: Unfortunately it is more relevant. Bush legalized torture, but Obama is legalizing impunity. He promised to roll stuff back, but he is institutionalizing these things forever. It is terrifying and the left doesn’t seem to recognize it.

JS: Did you realize that your book is being lauded within the Tea Party and patriot movements?

NW: Since I wrote Give Me Liberty, I have had a new audience that looks different than the average Smith girl. There is a giant libertarian component. I have had a lot of dialogue with the Ron Paul community. There are [Tea Partiers] writing to me on my Facebook page, but I figured they were self-selective libertarians and not arch conservatives. I am utterly stunned that I have a following in the patriot movement and I wasn’t aware that specific Tea Partiers were reading it. They haven’t invited me to speak. They invited Sarah Palin.

JS: If they did invite you, would you speak at a Tea Party?

NW: I would go in a heartbeat. I’ll go anywhere to talk about the Constitution. I believe in trans-partisan organizing around these issues. When I went on Fox News people asked me why I was going on those shows. Are you kidding? You have to go, especially to people you don’t agree with. We need to get back into grappling with people we disagree with if we want to restore the Republic.

I was invited by the Ron Paul supporters to their rally in Washington last summer and I loved it. I met a lot of people I respected, a lot of “ordinary” people, as in not privileged. They were stepping up to the plate, when my own liberal privileged fellow demographic habituates were lying around whining. It was a wake-up call to the libertarians that there’s a progressive who cares so much about the same issues. Their views of liberals are just as distorted as ours are of conservatives.

JS: Why do you think the sides don’t understand each other?

NW: Frankly, liberals are out of the habit of communicating with anyone outside their own in cohort. We have a cultural problem with self-righteousness and elitism. Liberals roll their eyes about going on "Oprah" to reach a mass audience by using language that anyone can understand even if you majored in semiotics at Yale. We look down on people we don’t agree with. It doesn’t serve us well.

BuddyRey
04-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Morning bump!

MichelleHeart
04-07-2010, 04:50 AM
I didn't like Naomi Wolf before, and I'm not particularly fond of her brand of feminism, but this is actually quite encouraging. Hopefully more leftists (and conservatives) start to see the light before the next election. It'd be nice to have people from both sides of the aisle not vote for a statist.

aclove
04-07-2010, 05:00 AM
It's worth re-posting this classic interview between Lew Rockwell and Naomi Wolf from 2008. It quickly goes from Rockwell interviewing Wolf to a teacher-student Socratic dialogue in which Rockwell teaches Wolf about the philosophy of liberty and non-aggression.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lewrockwell-show/2008/10/31/58-americas-slow-motion-fascist-coup/

nobody's_hero
04-07-2010, 05:08 AM
I'd like to see Lew and Naomi do another interview. I wondered if she followed up any on the libertarian philosophy after that.

BuddyRey
04-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I'd like to see Lew and Naomi do another interview. I wondered if she followed up any on the libertarian philosophy after that.

Yeah, it seemed to really dawn on her during that interview. I definitely have to give her props for open-mindedness.

Bruehound
04-07-2010, 08:55 AM
She is the left's version of Glenn Beck. Please don't be gullible, she will always make overtures to the Freedom Movement when she is trying to sell books.

BuddyRey
04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Bump!

low preference guy
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Yeah, let's email Lew to ask her for another interview. It'll be interesting to see her progress.

Chieppa1
04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I have to say, the comments on that article are very interesting.

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Naomi Wolf did the same thing trying to attract Ron Paulers in 2007 and 2008, and a LOT of out folks hitched on the bandwagons ----- and then she endorsed, supported, and voted for Barack Obama. She claimed that he was the one who would put an end to the creeping fascism. I'll have to see a LOT more than just this before I'll believe that she has changed her mind on that... a poster above said that she is the left's version of Glenn Beck. I'll buy that. Draw up the antiestablishment crowd up into a furor and then shove them into the arms of the establishment. Sounds like what I know of her these last 2 years.

wizardwatson
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
She is the left's version of Glenn Beck. Please don't be gullible, she will always make overtures to the Freedom Movement when she is trying to sell books.

While I definitely share in your paranoia, you have to admit that both the left and the right trying to co-opt the freedom movement is a win-win for us.

Stabilizes the core.

:D

Andrew-Austin
04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I have to say, the comments on that article are very interesting.

I agree. Some are half positive, and the places they are negative are just plain untrue or silly. Definitely worth reading.

The problem is we only get the Libertarians who want anrchy for Capitalism. Not ending the drug and sex wars going on here that have been stripping our liberties for a long time. The Drug War since 1914. That camel has long since gone mostly under the tent with that as a doorway in to squash personal liberty by the bleeding from a thousand cuts.

Why do I have the feeling this person has no idea what they just said in the first sentence. And last time I checked all real libertarians are against the drug war, more so than people on the left. This person obviously does not know what libertarianism is and is thinking more about neocons. Another sign that the meaning of the word is being derailed.

Libertarians have a basic intuition that government will always become corrupt, and so they believe it needs to be kept as powerless and decentralized as possible. Their blind spot is seeing that there are problems that only government can solve (hence global warming denial), and that weak government inevitably means a strong aristocracy which can be just as oppressive (think wall mart)

LOL, yes I am constantly afraid of Wal-Mart trampling all over my liberties, tapping my phones, taxing my money away for things I disagree with, torturing foreigners, etc.

dr. hfn
04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
her books are great! she is an ally, we should invite her to more events

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM

She is an 'ally' who actively tried to convince our people to vote for Barack Obama....

Chieppa1
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
She is an 'ally' who actively tried to convince our people to vote for Barack Obama....

Agreed. I just liked the comments.:p

They really seemed to understand the difference between us and the GOP Tea Party takeover.

dr. hfn
04-07-2010, 06:40 PM

She has since turned on Obama, no?

MN Patriot
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM

:eek: This is her:
http://newsrealblog.wordpress.com/files/2009/09/naomiwolf1.jpg

Sarah Palin, meet your match!

dr. hfn
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
we need to pull her as far to our side as possible, thus we invite her to events etc...

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Agreed. I just liked the comments.:p

They really seemed to understand the difference between us and the GOP Tea Party takeover.

Some of the comments are good, some make me want to vomit.

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
She has since turned on Obama, no?

I'm guessing to about the same extent as Glenn Beck has turned on McCain/Palin

I'd like for her to prove me wrong...

surf
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM

vs McWar? it's tough to make an argument that this was such a bad thing.

i wrote in Ron. "worthless," perhaps but guilt free

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
vs McWar? it's tough to make an argument that this was such a bad thing.

i wrote in Ron. "worthless," perhaps but guilt free

Voting for him because the alternative blew is one thing, but actively promoting him as the solution to tyranny? Please! Anybody who bothered to put forth any effort to examine the man should not be surprised at how he turned out...

surf
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Voting for him because the alternative blew is one thing, but actively promoting him as the solution to tyranny? Please! Anybody who bothered to put forth any effort to examine the man should not be surprised at how he turned out...

she had the audacity of hope (or whatever the fuck that saying was) whereas McCain was actively promoting more war whether it be - bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran - or staying in Iraq another hundred years.

Obama presented himself well as someone that would at least try to follow the constitution, and many drank the kool-aid - including Naomi.

all i'm saying here is we need allies from the "left" to win the primary. hell, most of us here were not republicans before Ron Paul announced he would run. and i see Naomi as one of these people that can help us with that.

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
she had the audacity of hope (or whatever the fuck that saying was) whereas McCain was actively promoting more war whether it be - bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran - or staying in Iraq another hundred years.

Obama presented himself well as someone that would at least try to follow the constitution, and many drank the kool-aid - including Naomi.

all i'm saying here is we need allies from the "left" to win the primary. hell, most of us here were not republicans before Ron Paul announced he would run. and i see Naomi as one of these people that can help us with that.

Our allies on the left are the grassoots peoples like in the comments on the Glenn Griswald article at Salon (in the other current thread) about Obama assassinating Americans. If it became clear to them that our group is as pissed about this as they are, they will indeed be our allies. Not jots for a moment to sell a book, but for real.

BenIsForRon
04-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Our allies on the left are the grassoots peoples like in the comments on the Glenn Griswald article at Salon (in the other current thread) about Obama assassinating Americans. If it became clear to them that our group is as pissed about this as they are, they will indeed be our allies. Not jots for a moment to sell a book, but for real.

Glenn Greenwald.

And I've never paid attention to his comments section. I guess I just expected them to be like your typical Kos/HuffPo commenters, I guess they're not?

GunnyFreedom
04-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Glenn Greenwald.

LMAO sorry, that's what a decrepit memory will get you ;)

And I've never paid attention to his comments section. I guess I just expected them to be like your typical Kos/HuffPo commenters, I guess they're not?

No idea how they NORMALLY are, but on the assassination article, they are actually giving me hope. As astounding as that may seem....

They seem to be under the impression, however, that "most teabaggers and right wingers will probably cheer this monstrosity, or ignore it in favor of slamming Obama's health care"

This is where WE can make the difference, by setting the tone for this horrific development (the assassination order) amongst the tea partiers &c.

low preference guy
04-07-2010, 11:59 PM
LMAO sorry, that's what a decrepit memory will get you ;)

I try to think of the color Green to remember Glenn's last name.

BenIsForRon
04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
They seem to be under the impression, however, that "most teabaggers and right wingers will probably cheer this monstrosity, or ignore it in favor of slamming Obama's health care"

This is where WE can make the difference, by setting the tone for this horrific development (the assassination order) amongst the tea partiers &c.

I was just thinking, the guy who had the order on his head was a muslim... so it may be hard to get any large scale public outrage on this. Most mainstream democrats and republicans can't wrap their minds around concepts like "dangerous precedent".

GunnyFreedom
04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
I was just thinking, the guy who had the order on his head was a muslim... so it may be hard to get any large scale public outrage on this. Most mainstream democrats and republicans can't wrap their minds around concepts like "dangerous precedent".

Seems to me the people most outraged over this will be the Paulers and the left-wingers. Again, this opens an historic opportunity for an inroads coalition that will seriously vault RP's chances in 2012. The commenters on Greenwald's blog are upset because they believe "those Muslim-hating rightards" won't say boo about this new horrific step. WE have it in our power (us Paulers nationwide) to give them (the left wingers) a reason to vote for a Republican in 2012 (Ron Paul).

GunnyFreedom
04-08-2010, 12:24 AM
I try to think of the color Green to remember Glenn's last name.

Good show!

phill4paul
04-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Good show!

Hey Gunny I thought I'd read your having another money bomb. PM me or call. Let me know what I can do to help.

GunnyFreedom
04-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey Gunny I thought I'd read your having another money bomb. PM me or call. Let me know what I can do to help.

Yeah, I'm hoping to to an inside NC one on April 12th, and an everywhere one on April 19th. The April 19th one I want to do a Paul Reveres ride minuteman network, everyone tells 5 people who each tell five people who each tell 5 people; and everyone chips in a small amount like $25. After a base of 40, *5*5*5 that makes me 100% funded for the whole year.

IF I can manage to make it happen......

phill4paul
04-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping to to an inside NC one on April 12th, and an everywhere one on April 19th. The April 19th one I want to do a Paul Reveres ride minuteman network, everyone tells 5 people who each tell five people who each tell 5 people; and everyone chips in a small amount like $25. After a base of 40, *5*5*5 that makes me 100% funded for the whole year.

IF I can manage to make it happen...... Alright. Ya got another $25 from me. I just had two people on RPFs friend me (why?..I have no frikken idea) and don't think that I'm not gonna hit them up.:D

Wish I'd have known sooner and could have set you up on the site for the gunny/money bomb. Wish that had worked out better for you, but at least it brought in more then I,alone, could have contributed to.